Bill vs Jets vs Dolphins

patriotsheatyan

I'd rate the Dolphins the highest - They clearly still have holes, but they've had a culture problem in Miami for a number of years now and I think they've finally started to address it.  They got rid of their best wide receiver, but I still they have a potentially good group with Parker, Stills, Lewis, Amendola and Gesicki.  I'm not a fan of their defensive line, but supposedly their defensive tackles are better than I'm giving them credit for.  At least that's what I've been told.  Ryan Tannehill isn't setting the world on fire in Miami, but he's at least passable, meaning he's still better than what they have in Buffalo. 

Second on the list is the Jets, which came as a surprise to me, since I tend to hold the opinion that the Jets as an organization are incapable of competence.  The only things I like on their roster are the quarterbacks (and I expect the Jets to find a way to screw that up as badly as they always do), wide receivers and defensive backs.  Their run game is mediocre at best, their TE's are non existent for the second time in three years, their offensive line doesn't fit their blocking scheme, their defensive line could be described as Leonard Williams and friends and their linebackers would need to crack open an ancient history textbook to read about what a Jets edge rush was.  In ye olden days, there wasith a man who went by the name of Jonathan Abraham...   But with all of that being said, I still have to rate them ahead of the Bills.

Last on the list is the Bills.  Why?  Because I think Danny Etling and David Fales are the only quarterbacks on the other three AFC East teams that wouldn't be day one starters on the Bills.  They traded up to draft Josh Allen, who was my number five or six quarterback  in this past year's draft, in the top ten.  I understood the pick as the the Bills needed a strong armed quarterback who could handle the often excessively windy conditions in Buffalo and thought that was his best landing spot; but that doesn't mean I suddenly like Josh Allen as a prospect. He clearly was going to need time to develop, so the Bills supposedly signed A.J. McCarron to be a bridge quarterback, but that's going so well that Nathan "Five interceptions in a single half" Peterman is allegedly the frontrunner for the starting job.   That in and of itself is catastrophic, but it gets worse.  Because with the loss of Eric Wood and Richie Incognito, the Bills offensive line is looking at taking a huge step back on a team with arguably the worst wide receiver corps in the NFL.  Even if you thought Peterman could possibly take a step forward from being the absolute worst in the league, the Bills aren't really giving him the surrounding talent to do it.  And the same is true even of McCarron wins the starting job as he is supposed to.  The Bills have a good group of running backs, but little else on that offense.  If they were smart, they would tank the season 76ers style and focus on teaching Josh Allen how to play NFL quarterback. 

Peterman i think is a career backup that could be a stop gap QB. Horrendous start to his career, obviously but I still think he’s fine enough to start for a little while. No clue how Josh Allen is going to turn out, so obviously that’s a big factor. Our line will take a step back for sure, our receiving Corp sucks, but he have a good running game and a really good defense i think so who knows.

We need more receiving help really bad.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:37 PM, Crickett said:

I'd rate the Dolphins the highest - They clearly still have holes, but they've had a culture problem in Miami for a number of years now and I think they've finally started to address it.  They got rid of their best wide receiver, but I still they have a potentially good group with Parker, Stills, Lewis, Amendola and Gesicki.  I'm not a fan of their defensive line, but supposedly their defensive tackles are better than I'm giving them credit for.  At least that's what I've been told.  Ryan Tannehill isn't setting the world on fire in Miami, but he's at least passable, meaning he's still better than what they have in Buffalo. 

Second on the list is the Jets, which came as a surprise to me, since I tend to hold the opinion that the Jets as an organization are incapable of competence.  The only things I like on their roster are the quarterbacks (and I expect the Jets to find a way to screw that up as badly as they always do), wide receivers and defensive backs.  Their run game is mediocre at best, their TE's are non existent for the second time in three years, their offensive line doesn't fit their blocking scheme, their defensive line could be described as Leonard Williams and friends and their linebackers would need to crack open an ancient history textbook to read about what a Jets edge rush was.  In ye olden days, there wasith a man who went by the name of Jonathan Abraham...   But with all of that being said, I still have to rate them ahead of the Bills.

Last on the list is the Bills.  Why?  Because I think Danny Etling and David Fales are the only quarterbacks on the other three AFC East teams that wouldn't be day one starters on the Bills.  They traded up to draft Josh Allen, who was my number five or six quarterback  in this past year's draft, in the top ten.  I understood the pick as the the Bills needed a strong armed quarterback who could handle the often excessively windy conditions in Buffalo and thought that was his best landing spot; but that doesn't mean I suddenly like Josh Allen as a prospect. He clearly was going to need time to develop, so the Bills supposedly signed A.J. McCarron to be a bridge quarterback, but that's going so well that Nathan "Five interceptions in a single half" Peterman is allegedly the frontrunner for the starting job.   That in and of itself is catastrophic, but it gets worse.  Because with the loss of Eric Wood and Richie Incognito, the Bills offensive line is looking at taking a huge step back on a team with arguably the worst wide receiver corps in the NFL.  Even if you thought Peterman could possibly take a step forward from being the absolute worst in the league, the Bills aren't really giving him the surrounding talent to do it.  And the same is true even of McCarron wins the starting job as he is supposed to.  The Bills have a good group of running backs, but little else on that offense.  If they were smart, they would tank the season 76ers style and focus on teaching Josh Allen how to play NFL quarterback. 

Why do you mention that Nate Peterman 5 INT game like that? We get it he played bad but let's not act lik it's all his fault. On two of his INTs I think it was Bosa who hit him in the head... Should have had two INTs taking away if the refs did their jobs correctly. Another had the ball hit Patrick Dimarco right in his hands and and was deflected to the Chargers defense. 

1st INT- Hit Bills FB right in hands. Instead bounces of his hand into Chargers hands. Should have been a short yard completion 

2nd INT- Joey Bosa hit Nate Peterman in facemask causing it to be underthrown. Flag on play but it was against the Bills. Should have been offsetting penalties. Replay the down.

3rd INT- Chargers defender comes in unblocked and hits Peterman as he released the football causing an underthrown.  Olines fault on that one. You could fault Peterman for trying to make a play on 3rd down instead of tucking it away. But taking the sack probably would have only saved us 10 to 20 yards in field position.

4th INT- Bosa hit Peterman in the helmet. No call should have been a 15 yard penalty and still have the ball.

5th INT- This one is Peterman's fault. Miscommuncation with the receiver or an over throw. At this point everything was just snow balling but this was only INT that could be solely blamed on Nate

I'm not trying to make excuses, these are just the facts. He sucked but everyone acts as if Peterman is to solely to blame when it was a combination of him, refs missing calls, poor OLine play, and his receivers dropping balls. And this is not even to mention that Kelvin Benjamin his #1 receiver got hurt on the first drive after a 20 yard catch.

And the Chargers game wasn't his only start. He started in the snow game against the Colts and played awesome. Without Nate in that game we may have not even been in playoffs. He doesn't get much credit for it cause Shady overshadowed everyone in that game and he got hurt in the game having us have to play Joe Webb but without Nate's drive at the end of the first half to throw a TD to Benjamin in the snow and wind we wouldn't have been in the playoffs.

Btw he isnt leading the Bills starting job cause the others are playing bad. He is leading it currently just cause he is playing better. All 3 of our QBs are playing well in practice. I don't think there is a favorite. They are all playing well and some practices McCarron is the best, others it's Allen, and others it's Peterman. Peterman just happened to get first team reps and play the best on day opened to media which caused the buzz but Allen and McCarron have both been getting first team reps and been playing just as good.

10 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Why do you mention that Nate Peterman 5 INT game like that? We get it he played bad but let's not act lik it's all his fault. On two of his INTs I think it was Bosa who hit him in the head... Should have had two INTs taking away if the refs did their jobs correctly. Another had the ball hit Patrick Dimarco right in his hands and and was deflected to the Chargers defense. 

1st INT- Hit Bills FB right in hands. Instead bounces of his hand into Chargers hands. Should have been a short yard completion 

2nd INT- Joey Bosa hit Nate Peterman in facemask causing it to be underthrown. Flag on play but it was against the Bills. Should have been offsetting penalties. Replay the down.

3rd INT- Chargers defender comes in unblocked and hits Peterman as he released the football causing an underthrown.  Olines fault on that one. You could fault Peterman for trying to make a play on 3rd down instead of tucking it away. But taking the sack probably would have only saved us 10 to 20 yards in field position.

4th INT- Bosa hit Peterman in the helmet. No call should have been a 15 yard penalty and still have the ball.

5th INT- This one is Peterman's fault. Miscommuncation with the receiver or an over throw. At this point everything was just snow balling but this was only INT that could be solely blamed on Nate

I'm not trying to make excuses

230114_908223010.jpg

This topic makes me uncomfortable. These 3 teams plus the Colts are, in my opinion, the worst teams in the NFL.

Bills: 4-5 wins

Dolphins: 4-5 wins

Jets: 3-4 wins

That's how I see it shaking out. There is just some bad football in that division outside of the Patriots. New England could lose Brady and still win the division easily IMO.

27 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

This topic makes me uncomfortable. These 3 teams plus the Colts are, in my opinion, the worst teams in the NFL.

Dolphins: 4-5 wins

I think Tannehill has to go down again for Miami to win less than 6 games.

Bills and Jets are in rebuilding, no expectations for either of them. I think the Dolphins are... stuck in purgatory. They'll win somewhere between 6-9 games, and we'll continue to question whether or not Gase was a good hire or if Tannehill is the guy.

Just a question, but how have Peyton Manning and Tom Brady managed to play against trash divisional opponents for the significant majority of their 15+ playing careers? Doesn’t playing a QB like that psychologically warp the other franchises? And how much of their success is due to consistently having an easy route to the divisional crown?

1. Dolphins of course. Anyone predicting less than 6 wins must believe Tannehill is going to re-injure himself. I dont know what to expect given we haven't seen Tannehill in Gase's system for more than a couple of months but we went a 7-1 streak before he went down.

2. Buffalo is probably the most talented team in the division. Their lack of an established QB and the hits they took to their OL I think will hurt. 

3. I'll be honest and say I dont pay much attention to NYJ simply because i hate their team :)

16 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I think Tannehill has to go down again for Miami to win less than 6 games.

No offense to your team, but I hate the way your team is structured. No run game, average/slightly above average WR's, pretty awful OL, and then a defense filled with a bunch of "maybe's" and declining veterans. I was not a big fan of your draft class at all outside of Jerome Baker, who is going to need some time before he's ready for potential stardom. And I don't think Tannehill is all that great either. I liked him coming out of college, but he's been mildly underwhelming thus far.

It's like the Dolphins are stuck between a rebuild and contention. The Memphis Grizzlies of the NFL. I think they'd be better served to blow everything up and go with a crazy youth movement, but they still believe they're contenders for some reason.

When looking for teams in desperate need of a complete restructuring, I see the Dolphins and the Colts as the major two culprits right now. I'm not in love with the "up & coming" talent on either squad, nor do I feel good about their immediate success.

Archived