Picking the spot you draft, what is your strategy?

45 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

In that case I go with Gurley and Elliott in a landslide. 

Maybe i wasn't clear enough. I'm picking my draft spot and those are the players i want to be able to get with my 1st 2 picks but i certainly won't have that option. I'm just wondering if you could pick your draft spot in a 12 team league, which would you pick and why?

I pick 4th in a 10 team standard league this year. Doing the mock draft from Draftwizard.com

I'm really thinking about double down on 2 RB with the first 2 picks I.E - David Johnson, Devonta Freeman. Then the next pick on a WR someone like Doug Baldwin or TY Hilton. 

Also, I'm not taking a QB early, as I read somewhere that the difference between #1 last year and someone in the middle of the pack was only a few points. 

What do you guys think about that? 

52 minutes ago, xlfrosti said:

I pick 4th in a 10 team standard league this year. Doing the mock draft from Draftwizard.com

I'm really thinking about double down on 2 RB with the first 2 picks I.E - David Johnson, Devonta Freeman. Then the next pick on a WR someone like Doug Baldwin or TY Hilton. 

Also, I'm not taking a QB early, as I read somewhere that the difference between #1 last year and someone in the middle of the pack was only a few points. 

What do you guys think about that? 

Depending upon on your lineup requirements, more than likely I’d start with 2 RBs if the board falls that way.

However, in standard leagues TDs rule and especially if your waiver wire isn’t hounded on by everyone...going QB or TE high might actually make sense...studs will separate your team from everybody else’s at those spots.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Maybe i wasn't clear enough. I'm picking my draft spot and those are the players i want to be able to get with my 1st 2 picks but i certainly won't have that option. I'm just wondering if you could pick your draft spot in a 12 team league, which would you pick and why?

I’d take either the 1st or 2nd pick. I think that in a non-PPR that Gurley and Elliott can outscore the rest of the pack by about 40 points. I’m a believer in having the earliest possible pick in snake drafts. 

28 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’d take either the 1st or 2nd pick. I think that in a non-PPR that Gurley and Elliott can outscore the rest of the pack by about 40 points. I’m a believer in having the earliest possible pick in snake drafts. 

My name got drawn 4th and 1-3 were picked so i went with 11th lol

So I have pick 11 and have pretty much confirmed that the following guys will be going before me 100% per the people in front of me 

Gurley-Bell-DJ-Zeke-AB-Kamara-Hunt

So that leaves the following guys as my top options I'd consider at 11

Barkley-Fournette-Cook

Hopkins-Beckham-Julio

Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So I have pick 11 and have pretty much confirmed that the following guys will be going before me 100% per the people in front of me 

Gurley-Bell-DJ-Zeke-AB-Kamara-Hunt

So that leaves the following guys as my top options I'd consider at 11

Barkley-Fournette-Cook

Hopkins-Beckham-Julio

Thoughts?

Barkley. He won’t face a stacked box like Fournette and isn’t coming off an ACL like Cook. As for the WR’s I have them ranked in the order you listed them.

19 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Barkley. He won’t face a stacked box like Fournette and isn’t coming off an ACL like Cook. As for the WR’s I have them ranked in the order you listed them.

How would you rank the 6 though in a non-ppr format? Considering i listed 7 sure-fire gone players, it is quite possible I’m stuck with none of those 3. I sort of regret not picking 10 just to ensure i get one of the RBs because i feel like if Barkley-Fournette-Cook go 8-10 then i either take a WR like Hopkins who i love but run the risk of losing Gordon and therefore the last of the bellcow backs or take Gordon and pass on value but RB value sucks now 

8 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How would you rank the 6 though in a non-ppr format? Considering i listed 7 sure-fire gone players, it is quite possible I’m stuck with none of those 3. I sort of regret not picking 10 just to ensure i get one of the RBs because i feel like if Barkley-Fournette-Cook go 8-10 then i either take a WR like Hopkins who i love but run the risk of losing Gordon and therefore the last of the bellcow backs or take Gordon and pass on value but RB value sucks now 

Barkley

Cook

Hopkins

OBJ

Fournette

Julio

I wouldn’t be mad at all ending up with either Hopkins/OBJ/Julio. There’s a huge drop off after those 3 just as there’s a huge drop off after Gurley/Bell/Johnson/Zeke. If it were me I would just be sure to get 2 of either Gordon/Freeman/McCoy/Howard/McKinnon/Mixon even if you have to reach a little.

8 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Barkley

Cook

Hopkins

OBJ

Fournette

Julio

I wouldn’t be mad at all ending up with either Hopkins/OBJ/Julio. There’s a huge drop off after those 3 just as there’s a huge drop off after Gurley/Bell/Johnson/Zeke. If it were me I would just be sure to get 2 of either Gordon/Freeman/McCoy/Howard/McKinnon/Mixon even if you have to reach a little.

Getting 2 of the bolded pretty much is gonna be drafting one at 15 which is pretty terrible value imo and i fully expect Howard, McKinnon and Mixon to be gone by 35 when i pick again. If i am sitting at 11 and pass on any of the Top-4 RBs, I fully expect him/them to be taking by the person picking 12/13(since there is no chance that all 3 of those guys fall to me at 11)

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Getting 2 of the bolded pretty much is gonna be drafting one at 15 which is pretty terrible value imo and i fully expect Howard, McKinnon and Mixon to be gone by 35 when i pick again. If i am sitting at 11 and pass on any of the Top-4 RBs, I fully expect him/them to be taking by the person picking 12/13(since there is no chance that all 3 of those guys fall to me at 11)

I don’t think Gordon or Freeman is bad value at all at 15 especially knowing how hard people are gonna be reaching for RB’s. Picking at the back of the draft almost requires you to reach a little when your turn comes around since you have to wait 20+ picks in between your picks. Choosing pick 11 you had to have known your likely going to end up with a tier 1 receiver (Hopkins, OBJ, Julio) and a tier 2 runningback (Hunt, Cook, Fournette, Gordon). I think either of those RB’s will be fine as an RB1, your challenge will likely be finding an RB2 if Mixon, McKinnon and Howard are gone. Do your research on guys like Drake, Guice, Penny, Collins, Henry, Ajayi, R. Jones and R. Freeman and just make sure you land whoever you think will best to fill your RB2 spot. One of those guys will have a good year it’s just a matter of figuring out who.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

I don’t think Gordon or Freeman is bad value at all at 15 especially knowing how hard people are gonna be reaching for RB’s. Picking at the back of the draft almost requires you to reach a little when your turn comes around since you have to wait 20+ picks in between your picks. Choosing pick 11 you had to have known your likely going to end up with a tier 1 receiver (Hopkins, OBJ, Julio) and a tier 2 runningback (Hunt, Cook, Fournette, Gordon). I think either of those RB’s will be fine as an RB1, your challenge will likely be finding an RB2 if Mixon, McKinnon and Howard are gone. Do your research on guys like Drake, Guice, Penny, Collins, Henry, Ajayi, R. Jones and R. Freeman and just make sure you land whoever you think will best to fill your RB2 spot. One of those guys will have a good year it’s just a matter of figuring out who.

Yea i guess but Freeman didn’t exactly have a great year last year either. Idk, i just hope one of the Top-3 remaining rbs fall

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i guess but Freeman didn’t exactly have a great year last year either. Idk, i just hope one of the Top-3 remaining rbs fall

He played through a sprained PCL and MCL last year and still averaged 4.4 ypc. He only got handed the ball 196 times compared to 227 last year and 265 the year before and only got 47 targets compared to 65 last year and 97 the year before. I don’t see any reason why his usage won’t go back up this year. He’s only 26 so it’s not like he’s going to fall off a cliff.

Edit: After checking my math he averaged 14 rushes per game last year, which is the same amount he averaged in 2016 so his usage as far as rushing the ball was still the same. But I think his TD total will go up this year. He had 14 in 2015 and 13 in 2016 compared to only 8 last year.

I'm picking ninth in my home league PPR but we get .5 per carry.

Couple months ago I was pretty much thinking go WR with my first pick but now that we are getting closer to draft day, I hope to land Jordan Howard or Devonta Freeman to pair up with Lev Bell. I'm thinking the TWO WRs on the board when I pick will be Hilton and Baldwin but the pool for RBs isn't as deep as WR which made me rethink what I should do. 

Archived