Aquaman (December 2018)

Acgott

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

If order matters at all, which I don't agree with, it's an obscenely small amount. The order of the movies is a separate issue from direction and planning. MoS, BvS, SS, WW, JL is a completely acceptable order to put things in...if the plan is good and the movies are good. DC had no clue what they were doing so the movies were bad and it bombed.

If you developed characters ahead of time in solo movies it is so much easier to do a team up movie with already developed characters. That is no small thing. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

If you developed characters ahead of time in solo movies it is so much easier to do a team up movie with already developed characters. That is no small thing. 

Yeah, it's easier. So what? The order is still not even a minor reason why the DCEU has failed.

40 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Yeah, it's easier. So what? The order is still not even a minor reason why the DCEU has failed.

You cant really say one way or the other. However you just agreed it would be easier. So if they had done more development before JL hit it wouldve been easier to make and potentially not nearly as bad. Hypothetical, but possible. Im not trying to say here that it definitely would have improved anything, but things would certainly be different. 

21 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Marvel did it by using characters unknown to anyone outside of the hardcore comic fans. Not just comic fans, HARDCORE comic fans. They shaped those characters as they needed to create a cohesive ensemble. That fits what you were alluding to earlier with ensemble movies. However with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc you cant take those big creative liberties like you could with Guardians to make the pieces not only fit together, but fit your narrative. The GotG we got on screen is nothing like what was in the comics prior to the live action run (they have since mimic'd the movie versions). 

That's not at all what I'm talking about.  Marvel successfully introduced freaking Spider-Man as a tiny side character in a team-up movie, but you're saying DC just had to have a Flash solo movie to make his character work in Justice League?

I'm not talking about creative liberties or anything like that.  I'm simply stating that solo movies were not and are not necessary for a successful ensemble movie, comic book or any other.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

You cant really say one way or the other. However you just agreed it would be easier. So if they had done more development before JL hit it wouldve been easier to make and potentially not nearly as bad. Hypothetical, but possible. Im not trying to say here that it definitely would have improved anything, but things would certainly be different. 

Yes, it's easier. That doesn't mean it's the only way you can do it. The order isn't the problem. The planning and content was.

10 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

That's not at all what I'm talking about.  Marvel successfully introduced freaking Spider-Man as a tiny side character in a team-up movie, but you're saying DC just had to have a Flash solo movie to make his character work in Justice League?

I'm not talking about creative liberties or anything like that.  I'm simply stating that solo movies were not and are not necessary for a successful ensemble movie, comic book or any other.

I think The Flash movie would have been better off before Justice League if only because they wouldn't have had to cram developing him into an already crowded movie where they had to also develop cyborg, Aquaman, the villain, and the Justice League as a whole... As well as setting up Superman's return.

Not every character needs a full development arc in an ensemble movie. Again...Civil War introduced both Spider-Man and Black Panther and barely mentioned anything about them and there were very few issues.

If you want to complain about the quality of the movies, then fine. Plenty of issues there. But every character doesn't need a solo movie or full development right away to make a successful ensemble movie.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:53 AM, seminoles1 said:

Not every character needs a full development arc in an ensemble movie. Again...Civil War introduced both Spider-Man and Black Panther and barely mentioned anything about them and there were very few issues.

If you want to complain about the quality of the movies, then fine. Plenty of issues there. But every character doesn't need a solo movie or full development right away to make a successful ensemble movie.

I agree to a point, but its a case by case basis.   In Civil War,  there was much more set up going into the movie,  and the intro of Spidey and BP were done well.    Everything in BvS and JL felt forced and rushed because they had much more to set up. 

So while you don't need a solo movie for every character in an ensemble, it would have worked out much better for the dceu if they had another solo movie or two given how undeveloped the universe was... A stark contrast to the MCU when civil war came out.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

From what I've read, I imagine it heads just north of 50% with the fact that its a fun popcorn flick carrying it to "fresh"

Regardless, they've already burned so much goodwill that having "mixed" WOM or hell, anything less than glowing reviews on any of their upcoming films will hurt their bottom line. A "disappointing but fun movie in spots" isn't a good look for a universe that's already had 4 duds out of the gate and isn't going to put butts in seats.

Judging by the reviews, this looks to be on par with MoS, maybe a little bit better.

Archived