Jameis Winston vs Marcus Mariota

patriotsheatyan

2 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

The Titans have had a better run game and pass protection than the Bucs have had. Doesn't matter how good your WRs are if you can't stay upright. A running game is a young QB's best friend. The Titans have also had a better defense.   

This isn't true. If we judge them each from when they entered the league until now (2015-2017) the Titans have given up 117 sack to the Bucs 102. Our o-line is obviously on the come up and has given up less sacks over the last 2 years (12) but given how little they have played we can't just remove a third of the data. From that same time period, the Bucs have rushed for 5,228 yards to the Titans 5,505 - about 92 yards more per season which equates to just under 6 more yards per game. However if you take it in it's full context and remove the yards the QB's have earned the Bucs have rushed for 4,715 yards to the Titans 4,592. Jameis has had better rushing attack. I will 100% agree that we've had a much better defense though.

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

This isn't true. If we judge them each from when they entered the league until now (2015-2017) the Titans have given up 117 sack to the Bucs 102. Our o-line is obviously on the come up and has given up less sacks over the last 2 years (12) but given how little they have played we can't just remove a third of the data. From that same time period, the Bucs have rushed for 5,228 yards to the Titans 5,505 - about 92 yards more per season which equates to just under 6 more yards per game. However if you take it in it's full context and remove the yards the QB's have earned the Bucs have rushed for 4,715 yards to the Titans 4,592. Jameis has had better rushing attack. I will 100% agree that we've had a much better defense though.

No Jameis hasn’t. The Bucs run game has been horrible the past two seasons after Logan Mankins left.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:55 PM, titans0021 said:

How exactly did they surround him with weapons last offseason? There's Corey Davis, sure. Mariota also missed all of minicamp, Davis missed all of TC, and then rushed back and aggravated the hamstring, missing time and essentially giving the two zero chance of ever building any chemistry. Beyond that, is "surrounding him with weapons" referring to adding a washed up Eric Decker and drafting a backup TE and a No. 4 WR? Or trotting out the corpse of DeMarco Murray at running back? Maybe rolling with an offensive coordinator that built his system in the 80s and has legitimately made zero changes to his strategy or playcalling in the 30 years since then?

Last year was the first time Mariota didn't outperform Winston in nearly every efficiency statistic. Despite terrible coaching, lackluster weapons and a rotating door of offensive coordinators since he was drafted. I'm genuinely excited to see people's reactions when he plays in an actual, 2018 NFL offense. If he underperforms this coming year, yeah, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't have any excuses left.

Really feel like a lot of people are buying fully into a year in which everything went wrong (injuries, coaching, straight bad luck in terms of having a percentage of interceptable passes thrown actually picked being significantly higher than the league norm) while ignoring that his first two years in the league he put up some pretty strong numbers for a 22 and 23 year old QB despite being placed in garbage situations.

having a good running game can make a qb's job way easier.  i know its not his fault murray fell off but lets not act like going into last season the titans had a very good ol and a very good running back duo. good qb's make other wr's good. I'll give you Corey Davis but the Titans spent 3rd rounder on taywan taylor.  they still have delanie walker. they added decker, and had matthews. bottom line is mariota has not established himself as a pocket passer.  heck, not even sure he has established himself as a franchise qb if we are being real. 

One has won a playoff game while maintaining a squeaky clean off-field record and maintained a 67-46 TD to turnover ratio with less help from his offense and less talent on his offense than the other.

The other doesn't have any of those things going for him and has a 77 to 59 TD to turnover ratio.

Neither one is good.  Marcus is a little better. 

20 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

having a good running game can make a qb's job way easier.  i know its not his fault murray fell off but lets not act like going into last season the titans had a very good ol and a very good running back duo. good qb's make other wr's good. I'll give you Corey Davis but the Titans spent 3rd rounder on taywan taylor.  they still have delanie walker. they added decker, and had matthews. bottom line is mariota has not established himself as a pocket passer.  heck, not even sure he has established himself as a franchise qb if we are being real. 

Last year and going in to last year are two very different things. Last year Corey Davis missed 5 games and missed a large part of the offseason due to injury, he showed flashes but he wasn’t even average last year. Taylor wasn’t good either and where he was drafted has 0 relevance on his level of play. As for Decker, he couldn’t get any separation and had very questionable hands. Matthews isn’t bad and Walker is Walker so I’ll give you those two.

As for the running game, there was absolutely no reason why Murray should have gotten more touches than Henry. It was evident early in the season that Murray was not what he used to be and that Henry was the better runner. You aren’t taking in to account how much the coaching staff crippled the offense last year. Riding Murray really hurt the team and Davis and Taylor are both much more talented than what the coaching staff allowed them to show. Robiskie was truly awful and I don’t think that’s even a strong enough word to describe it. You had to watch it week in and week out to experience how truly bad it was.

As for not being a pocket passer, you’re either not watching him enough and just listening to the media, or not watching at all because he’s actually reluctant to leave the pocket and take off (to a fault at times) and has shown he’s very capable of delivering the ball from it. This narrative that he’s more of a running quarterback is kind of ridiculous. He only has 14 more rushing attempts than Winston and that’s because of designed runs. Take those out and he likely has less rushing attempts than Winston. He gets falsely labeled as a running quarterback because of his Oregon highlights, and well, because he’s fast.

He probably falls between that 15-22 range in most people’s ranks but barring him absolutely bombing this year he’s definitely our franchise quarterback. He’ll do much better in an updated scheme, Taylor and Davis having a full offseason to work with him, Lewis as a legit checkdown target, and Henry taking the reigns. Hopefully he can learn the offense sooner rather than later. This will be his 3rd offensive coordinator he’s had in 4 years.

Archived