Saturday, August 11: Social Media Day
Tuesday, August 14: Youth Football Day

PRESEASON SCHEDULE
Thursday, August 9th, 7:30 PM ET: at New England
Thursday, August 16th, 8:00 PM ET: vs NY Jets
Friday, August 24th, 7:30 PM ET: vs Denver
Thursday, August 30th ET: at Baltimore

IMPORTANT DATES
Tuesday, July 31: Woz is out of town and away from the boards; the asylum is closed (be nice to Thai)
Tuesday, August 21: Woz is back in town; the asylum re-opens (now you can be mean to him again)
Saturday, September 1: Cut down day [rosters go from 90 to 53]
Thursday, September 6: Regular season begins
Sunday, September 9: Redskins first regular season game, at Arizona, 4:25 PM ET

OTHER DATES YOU MAY OR MAY NOT CARE ABOUT
Thursday, August 2: Hall of Fame Game (Ravens vs. Bears, 8 PM ET)
Saturday, August 4: Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
Tuesday, August 7: Hard Knocks first episode

Safeties

Additions: Troy Apke (drafted in the fourth round)
Departures: DeAngelo Hall (not re-signed)

Starters: D.J. Swearinger, Montae Nicholson
Other roster locks: Apke
On the bubble: Deshazor Everett, Fish Smithson

How the safeties compare

To the rest of the NFL: The Redskins' safeties have been a sore spot ever since the tragic loss of Sean Taylor in 2007, continually ranking as the worst units in the league year after year. That started to change last year with the signing of Swearinger and the drafting of Nicholson. They were major contributors to one of the league's better defenses until injuries struck. Their depth is questionable as will be discussed below but the Redskins have a solid safety tandem at the top of the depth chart if they stay healthy. 

To the 2017 Redskins: This depends on Nicholson's health and how quickly Apke can get ready to contribute. The rookie's speed could add a dimension that the defensive backfield doesn't have but he has a lot of rough edges to smooth out. If he can round into form and play in some three-safety formations, the unit could be notably better than last year's. 

2018 outlook

Biggest upside: By now, most of you have heard of Jay Gruden saying that Nicholson is the defensive equivalent of Jordan Reed because he changes what they can do when he is out there. His speed and tackling set him apart when he is out there. But there are legitimate concerns about his ability to stay on the field after a shoulder injury and a concussion kept him out of half of the games last year. If he can play, Nicholson has Pro Bowl potential. 

Most to prove: The Redskins are Swearinger's fourth NFL team in five years in the NFL. He was cut by the Texans and the Bucs. The Cardinals put him on their practice squad for a week during the season before promoting him to the 53-man roster. Arizona made little effort to retain him when he became a free agent last year. Swearinger played well in Washington last year but he didn't get much recognition. He wants to take the next step and show the teams that let him go that they made a big mistake.

Position groups (per redskins.com, order is my call right now (rookies thus are pushed down the list a bit), some of the tail end of the lists are just guesses):

• QUARTERBACKS
    1. Alex Smith
    2. Colt McCoy
    3. Kevin Hogan
  • WIDE RECEIVERS
    1. Paul Richardson Jr.
    2. Josh Doctson
    3. Jamison Crowder
    4. Brian Quick
    5. Maurice Harris
    6. Trey Quinn
    7. Robert Davis
    8. Simmie Cobbs Jr.
    9. Cam Sims
    10. Shay Fields
    11. Darvin Kidsy 
  • RUNNING BACKS
    1. Chris Thompson
    2. Samaje Perine
    3. Derrius Guice
    4. Rob Kelley
    5. Kapri Bibbs
    6. Keith Marshall
    7. Byron Marshall
    8. Martez Carter
  • TIGHT ENDS
    1. Jordan Reed
    2. Vernon Davis
    3. Jeremy Sprinkle
    4. Manasseh Garner
    5. Matt Flanagan
    6. Garrett Hudson
  • FULLBACKS
    1. Elijah Wellman
  • CENTERS
    1. Chase Rouiller
    2. Demetrius Rhaney
    3. Casey Dunn
  • GUARDS
    1. Brandon Scherff
    2. Shawn Lauvao (sigh)
    3. Kyle Kalis
    4. Tyler Catalina
    5. Isaiah Williams
  • TACKLES
    1. Trent Williams
    2. Morgan Moses
    3. Ty Nsekhe
    4. T.J. Clemmings
    5. Geron Christian
    6. Timon Parris
  • OFFENSIVE LINE (i.e. guys hoping for a job, unranked)
    • Alex Balducci
    • Tony Bergstrom
    • Cameron Jefferson
    • John Kling

• DEFENSIVE LINE
    1. Jonathan Allen
    2. Matt Ioannidis
    3. Stacy McGee
    4. Anthony Lanier II
    5. Da'Ron Payne
    6. Tim Settle
    7. Phil Taylor
    8. Ziggy Hood
    9. Ondre Pipkins
    10. Tavaris Barnes Sr.
  • LINEBACKERS (redskins.com doesn't differentiate the ILBs vs OLBs, my take on them)
    • OUTSIDE
      1. Ryan Kerrigan
      2. Preston Smith
      3. Pernell McPhee
      4. Ryan Anderson
    • INSIDE
      1. Zach Brown
      2. Mason Foster
      3. Martrell Spaight
      4. Josh Harvey-Clemons
      5. Zach Vigil
      6. Shaun Dion Hamilton
    • UNSURE (basically, these are guys who back of the roster types who are fighting for a spot anywhere, unranked)
      • Vontae Diggs
      • Jerod Fernandez
      • Alex McCalister
      • Pete Robertson
  • CORNERS
    1. Josh Norman
    2. Fabian Moreau
    3. Orlando Scandrick
    4. Quinton Dunbar
    5. Joshua Holsey
    6. Greg Stroman
    7. Adonis Alexander
    8. Danny Johnson
    9. Ranthony Texada
  • SAFETIES
    1. D.J. Swearinger
    2. Montae Nicholson
    3. Deshazor Everett
    4. Troy Apke
    5. Quin Blanding
    6. Fish Smithson
    7. Kenny Ladler

• KICKERS
    1. Dustin Hopkins
  • LONG SNAPPERS
    1. Nick Sundberg
  • PUNTERS
    1. Tress Way

Thoughts:

1. As I said before, offensive guard is ugh:
    but that projected starting five is good for ranking 12th overall. Problem is that PFF has Philly #1 OL and Dallas #2 OL (Giants are 25th).

2. Beyond Scherff, I don't know that any of the guards is safe to make the roster at this juncture. Geron Christian and Timon Parris would be wise to learn the inside positions as well. Same goes for Demetrius Rhaney and Casey Dunn. Heck, if it weren't for the fact that he would need to put on nearly 50-60 pounds, I would say that Elijah Wellman has a small chance (he's probably going to have to try TE, since LB is jammed already).

3. Kind of surprised there are not bringing in any competition at punter and kicker. I'm not saying that Hopkins and Way should be dethroned/cut, but a little competition wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.

4. We got a plethora of linebackers. The "Unsures" are going to have a really tough time making the roster.

5. Scandrick will have to ball out early because there's a lot of young guys who could easily take his job.

6. Same with McGee. Taylor and Hood may be outside looking in at this point.

7. Yes, I have Perine ahead of Guice. No, I don't expect it to stay that way. He's a rookie; he needs to earn the higher spot. I expect that to happen in short order, though. Yes, he gets ahead of Rob Kelley even as a rookie.

8. Quin Blanding ahead of Fish Smithson was in no way due to my Hoo bias. Not at all. It was just the fact that Blanding is a 6'2" safety vs a 5'11" one. Really. Why do you keep looking at me like that??

Just now, turtle28 said:

If this doesn’t get you steamy for training camp I don’t know what will... ? 

Ah, I see our posters are also putting in their training camp work too. Nice early camp start for the "slightly inappropriate innuendo" poster, turtle. :D I realize you generally have that position on lockdown, but gotta appreciate that you approach every season with a "I've got to earn that" work ethic. :D:D:D

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Position groups (per redskins.com, order is my call right now (rookies thus are pushed down the list a bit), some of the tail end of the lists are just guesses):

• QUARTERBACKS
    1. Alex Smith
    2. Colt McCoy
    3. Kevin Hogan
  • WIDE RECEIVERS
    1. Paul Richardson Jr.
    2. Josh Doctson
    3. Jamison Crowder
    4. Brian Quick
    5. Maurice Harris
    6. Trey Quinn
    7. Robert Davis
    8. Simmie Cobbs Jr.
    9. Cam Sims
    10. Shay Fields
    11. Darvin Kidsy 
  • RUNNING BACKS
    1. Chris Thompson
    2. Samaje Perine
    3. Derrius Guice
    4. Rob Kelley
    5. Kapri Bibbs
    6. Keith Marshall
    7. Byron Marshall
    8. Martez Carter
  • TIGHT ENDS
    1. Jordan Reed
    2. Vernon Davis
    3. Jeremy Sprinkle
    4. Manasseh Garner
    5. Matt Flanagan
    6. Garrett Hudson
  • FULLBACKS
    1. Elijah Wellman
  • CENTERS
    1. Chase Rouiller
    2. Demetrius Rhaney
    3. Casey Dunn
  • GUARDS
    1. Brandon Scherff
    2. Shawn Lauvao (sigh)
    3. Kyle Kalis
    4. Tyler Catalina
    5. Isaiah Williams
  • TACKLES
    1. Trent Williams
    2. Morgan Moses
    3. Ty Nsekhe
    4. T.J. Clemmings
    5. Geron Christian
    6. Timon Parris
  • OFFENSIVE LINE (i.e. guys hoping for a job, unranked)
    • Alex Balducci
    • Tony Bergstrom
    • Cameron Jefferson
    • John Kling

• DEFENSIVE LINE
    1. Jonathan Allen
    2. Matt Ioannidis
    3. Stacy McGee
    4. Anthony Lanier II
    5. Da'Ron Payne
    6. Tim Settle
    7. Phil Taylor
    8. Ziggy Hood
    9. Ondre Pipkins
    10. Tavaris Barnes Sr.
  • LINEBACKERS (redskins.com doesn't differentiate the ILBs vs OLBs, my take on them)
    • OUTSIDE
      1. Ryan Kerrigan
      2. Preston Smith
      3. Pernell McPhee
      4. Ryan Anderson
    • INSIDE
      1. Zach Brown
      2. Mason Foster
      3. Martrell Spaight
      4. Josh Harvey-Clemons
      5. Zach Vigil
      6. Shaun Dion Hamilton
    • UNSURE (basically, these are guys who back of the roster types who are fighting for a spot anywhere, unranked)
      • Vontae Diggs
      • Jerod Fernandez
      • Alex McCalister
      • Pete Robertson
  • CORNERS
    1. Josh Norman
    2. Fabian Moreau
    3. Orlando Scandrick
    4. Quinton Dunbar
    5. Joshua Holsey
    6. Greg Stroman
    7. Adonis Alexander
    8. Danny Johnson
    9. Ranthony Texada
  • SAFETIES
    1. D.J. Swearinger
    2. Montae Nicholson
    3. Deshazor Everett
    4. Troy Apke
    5. Quin Blanding
    6. Fish Smithson
    7. Kenny Ladler

• KICKERS
    1. Dustin Hopkins
  • LONG SNAPPERS
    1. Nick Sundberg
  • PUNTERS
    1. Tress Way

Thoughts:

1. As I said before, offensive guard is ugh:
    but that projected starting five is good for ranking 12th overall. Problem is that PFF has Philly #1 OL and Dallas #2 OL (Giants are 25th).

2. Beyond Scherff, I don't know that any of the guards is safe to make the roster at this juncture. Geron Christian and Timon Parris would be wise to learn the inside positions as well. Same goes for Demetrius Rhaney and Casey Dunn. Heck, if it weren't for the fact that he would need to put on nearly 50-60 pounds, I would say that Elijah Wellman has a small chance (he's probably going to have to try TE, since LB is jammed already).

3. Kind of surprised there are not bringing in any competition at punter and kicker. I'm not saying that Hopkins and Way should be dethroned/cut, but a little competition wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.

4. We got a plethora of linebackers. The "Unsures" are going to have a really tough time making the roster.

5. Scandrick will have to ball out early because there's a lot of young guys who could easily take his job.

6. Same with McGee. Taylor and Hood may be outside looking in at this point.

7. Yes, I have Perine ahead of Guice. No, I don't expect it to stay that way. He's a rookie; he needs to earn the higher spot. I expect that to happen in short order, though. Yes, he gets ahead of Rob Kelley even as a rookie.

8. Quin Blanding ahead of Fish Smithson was in no way due to my Hoo bias. Not at all. It was just the fact that Blanding is a 6'2" safety vs a 5'11" one. Really. Why do you keep looking at me like that??

I’m hoping a decent guard gets cut in August/early September and maybe that guy can beat out Lauvao at some point during the season or even right away. There’s still a chance Joshua Garnett gets cut or another OG from that 49er OL.

ICYMI, the moral panic/clutching of pearls that is rocking the sports world (or at least in front offices)? No, it's not domestic violence or illegal substances.

No, it's Fortnite.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/are-pro-athletes-playing-too-much-fortnite-some-teams-are-worried/2018/07/20/664d5ffe-8ab5-11e8-85ae-511bc1146b0b_story.html

Insert mightiest of facepalms here.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m hoping a decent guard gets cut in August/early September and maybe that guy can beat out Lauvao at some point during the season or even right away. There’s still a chance Joshua Garnett gets cut or another OG from that 49er OL.

Would like it sooner than later.

Right now, I think the "put Ty Nsekhe in as LG / Geron Christian in as primary swing tackle" plan makes the most sense.

49 minutes ago, Woz said:

ICYMI, the moral panic/clutching of pearls that is rocking the sports world (or at least in front offices)? No, it's not domestic violence or illegal substances.

No, it's Fortnite.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/are-pro-athletes-playing-too-much-fortnite-some-teams-are-worried/2018/07/20/664d5ffe-8ab5-11e8-85ae-511bc1146b0b_story.html

Insert mightiest of facepalms here.

That’s the poor character label that got Derrius Guice! ? 

Archived