We should play Kirk (Kurt) a lot this preseason

mar29020

17 hours ago, mar29020 said:

we need to hit week 1 in midseason form. that should be grudens angle

We can do that without overplaying our starters and putting them at risk for injury.

As Thai said, a normal preseason for the starters should take place:

2 quarters this week

3 quarters in week 3

Off week 4

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We can do that without overplaying our starters and putting them at risk for injury.

As Thai said, a normal preseason for the starters should take place:

2 quarters this week

3 quarters in week 3

Off week 4

our lazy team needs more work then that.

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

our lazy team needs more work then that.

No they don't. Our team isn't lazy, it's arguably the best roster we've had since the 91-92 super bowl team. I'm not saying that we have a super bowl team, just that the team isn't lazy, it's talented.

They need the normal work in the preseason. 

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No they don't. Our team isn't lazy, it's arguably the best roster we've had since the 91-92 super bowl team. I'm not saying that we have a super bowl team, just that the team isn't lazy, it's talented.

They need the normal work in the preseason. 

the skins roster they had mark brunnel, cooley, B llyod, randel el, moss, and portis was better on paper

Doc is back in the house woof woof.

Of course we should play him a lot primarily to build timing and chemistry with his new receivers. People are deluding themselves if they think we wont miss DJAX and Garcon. DJAX is a special kind of talent that draws a double team and opens the field up for everybody else. The throwing windows will be much tighter  this year with him gone and combine this with two brand new starting receivers and you have a recipe for "struggles". I'm hearing Cousins is struggling at camp and has regressed showing a lot of indecision and throwing picks. But as AI said, "It Practice".

Spa Gruden hasn't ever had these guys ready to play for game 1 before and with this much change and the glassmen (Reed and Doctson) not even practicing I expect the slow start to continue

Been watching Hard Knocks and I miss DJAX on the field and he seems to have matured a bit off the field as well. I see him having an All pro year teamed with Evans and with young Winston who I really like. Anybody else watch the first episode where Winston went to grandma's house he grew up in and talked about drinking out of the spicket and how all the kids pissed off the back porch (if HBO can say it i guess its ok here) because there were so many people in a tiny place with one bathroom- brings back memories :)

other random thoughts to hijack the thread- 

preseason game 1 was pathetic. guys showed no effort and obviously hadn't hit anybody since last December. But its only one preseason game.

whats all this hype with Phil Taylor- 340 pound marshmellow in the middle. 

Like be some Rico Marley Mon. I can see us transitioning from a drinking game where we used to throw down shots everytime there was a dive play on first down (which was almost every play to lighting up some Jamaican Gold and playing Jammin for every special teams tackle that kid is going to make. He wins the preseason hype award and cant see him ever making the final roster though which is disappointing from my entertainment point of view as Jamaican is now legal here in Vegas lol

P-Rine has a lot to learn but I'm impressed

That wasted draft pick of Nicholson was shocking at the time and workout guys who cant play football never work out. I believe that is the guy Mac the Knife said wasn't on his draft board. 

The board has a nice look and feel. But dude- change that stuff over in February not during training camp. 

20 hours ago, mar29020 said:

by playing? he could get hurt week 1 on the first snap.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, which would be much more acceptable than it happening because he's playing too many snaps in the preseason.

This. If it happens Week 1, fine, that's football.

If it happens in the second pre-season game because you left Cousins in for the second quarter, that's just dumb. You paid a ton of money for this guy to play in the regular season.

13 minutes ago, Slateman said:

This. If it happens Week 1, fine, that's football.

If it happens in the second pre-season game because you left Cousins in for the second quarter, that's just dumb. You paid a ton of money for this guy to play in the regular season.

Yes we did. We also are paying him a ton of money and he needs to get the reps. Or do you want to repeat the September start of last ye mear?

This offense needs a lot of work. And the only way they are going to get the game reps is to actually get the game reps. 

Putting him in for a 2nd straight preseason with very little work in the preseason games is detrimental to the team.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Yes we did. We also are paying him a ton of money and he needs to get the reps. Or do you want to repeat the September start of last ye mear?

This offense needs a lot of work. And the only way they are going to get the game reps is to actually get the game reps. 

Putting him in for a 2nd straight preseason with very little work in the preseason games is detrimental to the team.

As much as we're paying him, he shouldn't "need the reps"

And honestly, the reps in pre-season are meaningless. You're using them to determine the last 10-15% of the roster. Not get your starters more experience.

33 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

There obviously has to be a balance, KC definitely needs to play and the usual amount of playing time for starters is what he should get, as you said before. Not more, as Mar is suggesting.

27 minutes ago, Slateman said:

As much as we're paying him, he shouldn't "need the reps"

And honestly, the reps in pre-season are meaningless. You're using them to determine the last 10-15% of the roster. Not get your starters more experience.

Yes he should. So should the rest of the offense. We're missing our starting TE. Our starting WRs are both new. Our OL is playing like poo. And our RB is nothing special. 

Cooley said last week that the lack of work typically meant that players would get to the 2nd half of the first game and be like "man this is long". 

And it makes sense that as long as we keep doing this schedule of:

Game 1 = 1 series

Game 2 = 1 Quarter

Game 3 = 1 Half

Game 4 = Nothing

Our team will continually come out of the blocks slowly.

Its much better to do the following:

Game 1 = 2 series to 1 quarter

Game 2 = 2 quarters

Game 3 = 3 quarters

Game 4 = Nothing (a bye to get rested for Week 1).

As for the last 10-15% of the roster, you're talking about maybe 5 players. Plenty of time in my schedule to get the bubble guys some playing time. And in reality, the coaches pretty much have the roster figured out by the end of Game 1. Ross Tucker gave a story about his rookie season where he got injured. Bubba Tyer calmed him down and told him "Son, these guys know if you're gonna make the team within the first two days of practice".

You think that the status quo of our starters getting virtually no reps in the Preseason and not preparing themselves for the length of Week 1 game (4 quarters) is ok. Based upon our team's  lack of ability to come out with a fast start, I challenge that status quo and seek to change it.

54 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes he should. So should the rest of the offense. We're missing our starting TE. Our starting WRs are both new. Our OL is playing like poo. And our RB is nothing special. 

Cooley said last week that the lack of work typically meant that players would get to the 2nd half of the first game and be like "man this is long". 

And it makes sense that as long as we keep doing this schedule of:

Game 1 = 1 series

Game 2 = 1 Quarter

Game 3 = 1 Half

Game 4 = Nothing

Our team will continually come out of the blocks slowly.

Its much better to do the following:

Game 1 = 2 series to 1 quarter

Game 2 = 2 quarters

Game 3 = 3 quarters

Game 4 = Nothing (a bye to get rested for Week 1).

As for the last 10-15% of the roster, you're talking about maybe 5 players. Plenty of time in my schedule to get the bubble guys some playing time. And in reality, the coaches pretty much have the roster figured out by the end of Game 1. Ross Tucker gave a story about his rookie season where he got injured. Bubba Tyer calmed him down and told him "Son, these guys know if you're gonna make the team within the first two days of practice".

You think that the status quo of our starters getting virtually no reps in the Preseason and not preparing themselves for the length of Week 1 game (4 quarters) is ok. Based upon our team's  lack of ability to come out with a fast start, I challenge that status quo and seek to change it.

And when Cousins is blindsided by another blitz and misses 10 games, then what?

Cousins can get those things in practice. I'm not sure what you're talking about last year. His first five games, he through for 1432 yards, 7 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. That's slightly off the pace he finished the year off at. Without a running game nor a defense worth a darn.

Two or three quarters of pre-season football isn't going to make a bit of difference. Do you have an statistical evidence to say otherwise?

My thinking is you never practice at game speed and you need game speed to be ready especially with two new receivers. You don't take chances in the preseason playing him with backups, but you need to play with starters so you are ready to play starting game 1 not starting game 3 or 4. You can never predict injuries although his chances go up if he plays with reserves on the OL. I've thought about if a players chances of injury go up playing more games and there doesn't seem to be a significant correlation there. Thats why you play your starters with your starting QB to be ready in the regular season. One loss in game 1 can be the difference between playoffs and home field advantage.  Thats why you play the starters a half in game two and up to 3 quarters in game three. If he gets injured, so be it. can't play scared. He can get injured walking to the field, car accident etc.. can predict that stuff. 

I agree they already know their roster with maybe the exemption of injuries and the bottom 2-3 players who aren't much different than number 4-6. 

The whole preseason as currently structured is a scam . Play two preseason games and then start the season. The only ones against this are the owners who trick fans to pay for tickets, concessions, parking and souvenirs to see a bunch of guys play who won't ever be in the league. 

Archived