Patrick Stewart Returning to Star Trek

MacReady

On 8/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I don't know what in the hell CBS is trying to accomplish with that stupid streaming service junk.  Nobody is going to pay for a streaming service of only one network, and there's not really anything that's going to get people to do that short of maybe Seinfeld coming back.

It's just dumb.  Make better television and maybe you can get people to sign up for your streaming service. 

I've lost every ounce of interest.

Been under a rock lately?

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If you're talking about HBO, that's a different animal entirely.

CBS doesn't have the volume/variety to pull in subscribers en masse like Netflix, and doesn't have the star power of a single show to do the same.

Right now the industry is fragmenting because everyone wants a piece of the Netflix pie.  So everyone is starting their own service, but at the same time everyone knows they can't all make it (at least not on Netflix type scales).  We're going to get to a point in a few years pretty soon where there won't be a general streaming service anymore.  And it sucks.

It really sucks for consumers, because i'd love to watch this show and others like it.  Just not for an additional $10-20/mo or whatever CBS all access costs.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

CBS doesn't have the volume/variety to pull in subscribers en masse like Netflix, and doesn't have the star power of a single show to do the same.

Right now the industry is fragmenting because everyone wants a piece of the Netflix pie.  So everyone is starting their own service, but at the same time everyone knows they can't all make it (at least not on Netflix type scales).  We're going to get to a point in a few years pretty soon where there won't be a general streaming service anymore.  And it sucks.

It really sucks for consumers, because i'd love to watch this show and others like it.  Just not for an additional $10-20/mo or whatever CBS all access costs.

WWE has one. Funimation has one. DC has one (granted that is rolled into a comic database). 

WWE's is particular has been pretty successful. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

WWE has one. Funimation has one. DC has one (granted that is rolled into a comic database). 

WWE's is particular has been pretty successful. 

Great.  And they're all 10-15/mo.  If there are particular shows you care about or want a really wide variety, the time is coming soon where you'll need access to half a dozen of them.  

The era of having a lot of content for $12/mo through Netflix is quickly coming to a close.  And again, it sucks.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

You actually stated my entire argument.  I work in the cable industry, this is exactly where things are heading.  We recently converted our headends to IP.  We are starting to phase out some of the digital TV bandwidth to expand internet bandwidth as we prepare to go to 5 Gbps next year.  I could have told everyone this was coming a few years ago when cord cutters became our most common subscriber.  Yes, in the next 5-10 years, traditional TV is going to go away in favor of individualized streaming services and cable companies will be the ones offering the "all in one" service

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You literally bolded the disclaimer of "only one network."  Hulu has shows from NBC, ABC, AMC... Netflix has shows from NBC, ABC, AMC.  Hulu has its own programming.  Netflix has its own programming.  HBO has the highest quality programming. 

HBO - 139 million subscribers.
Netflix - 137 million subscribers.
Amazon - 100 million subscribers (also offers shipping).
Hulu - 20 million subscribers.
Tubi TV - 20 million subscribers.

CBS All Access? 

2.5 million subscribers. 

I stand by what I said.  CBS should give up with the streaming service attempt and give in, just like NBC has, just like ABC has.  CBS All Access will never succeed. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

You literally bolded the disclaimer of "only one network."  Hulu has shows from NBC, ABC, AMC... Netflix has shows from NBC, ABC, AMC.  Hulu has its own programming.  Netflix has its own programming.  HBO has the highest quality programming. 

HBO - 139 million subscribers.
Netflix - 137 million subscribers.
Amazon - 100 million subscribers (also offers shipping).
Hulu - 20 million subscribers.
Tubi TV - 20 million subscribers.

CBS All Access? 

2.5 million subscribers. 

I stand by what I said.  CBS should give up with the streaming service attempt and give in, just like NBC has, just like ABC has.  CBS All Access will never succeed. 

So, surely at this point you have heard of DCU and Disney+.  Just a few days ago NBC announced they will be pulling their shows from Netflix as they launch their streaming service.  This is where cord cutting has always been taking us.  Every network will have it's own streaming service and you will have to pay individually for each one, or sign up up for bundles thru your cable provider.  CBS was just ahead of the game.  

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

So, surely at this point you have heard of DCU and Disney+.  Just a few days ago NBC announced they will be pulling their shows from Netflix as they launch their streaming service.  This is where cord cutting has always been taking us.  Every network will have it's own streaming service and you will have to pay individually for each one, or sign up up for bundles thru your cable provider.  CBS was just ahead of the game.  

Surely at this point you still aren't getting it. 

Disney+ will not only have ALL of ABC television programming since it owns ABC, but it will also have everything from Fox's backlog of film as well as its own film.

Now compare that to what CBS All Access has to offer. 

CBS thinks it's ahead of the game, but it doesn't realize that it's not going to be able to compete and it might as well make a deal with Netflix, Hulu or Amazon to stay afloat before it dies. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Surely at this point you still aren't getting it. 

Disney+ will not only have ALL of ABC television programming since it owns ABC, but it will also have everything from Fox's backlog of film as well as its own film.

Now compare that to what CBS All Access has to offer. 

CBS thinks it's ahead of the game, but it doesn't realize that it's not going to be able to compete and it might as well make a deal with Netflix, Hulu or Amazon to stay afloat before it dies. 

CBS has multiple networks as well as the paramount back catalog too.  You really dont know what you are talking about in this space.  

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

CBS has multiple networks as well as the paramount back catalog too.  You really dont know what you are talking about in this space.  

Disney has the MCU and Star Wars and decades of film and television content that CBS All Access cannot possibly compete with and if you honestly believe that it can compete with Disney+ or Netflix or Amazon or HBO you don't know what you're talking about in any space. 

Oh wow, not enough budget to CGI Brent Spiner's face to at least look a little like Data?

I was a little disappointed in the trailer, I figured it would involve more Federation, Romulan, etc politics almost GOT style but it seems to involve a bridge between Data and the Borg.

Still though, loyalty dictates my submission into watching this for Patrick Stewart. 

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Oh wow, not enough budget to CGI Brent Spiner's face to at least look a little like Data?

I was a little disappointed in the trailer, I figured it would involve more Federation, Romulan, etc politics almost GOT style but it seems to involve a bridge between Data and the Borg.

Still though, loyalty dictates my submission into watching this for Patrick Stewart. 

Isn’t he portraying Before and not Data?

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Isn’t he portraying Before and not Data?

It literally took me like 30 minutes to figure this post out.

Yea I didn't think about it could be B-4. Still though, thats a very round face, so I was wondering if there is no CGI for that?

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

It literally took me like 30 minutes to figure this post out.

Yea I didn't think about it could be B-4. Still though, thats a very round face, so I was wondering if there is no CGI for that?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they didn't bother CGI'ing his face in the last movie they did (whatever that was called).  You could clearly tell he was older.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they didn't bother CGI'ing his face in the last movie they did (whatever that was called).  You could clearly tell he was older.

Yea but that was 2002 and being developed in 2001 so this was only 2 years after The Matrix revolutionized movie making forever. So that I can forgive.

It's not that big of a deal but it seems clear they have put alot into this so it made me curious.