Does Rivers make the HoF?

patriotsheatyan

On 8/21/2018 at 3:01 AM, Forge said:

I would agree that he should have made it over Manning that year (you can debate first and second team with Brees...I probably would have given the nod to Rivers, but I would have understood giving it to Brees). I have to wonder how many hall of fame voters retcon (that's probably not the ideal word there, but it's the best I could really think of). Do most voters just look and say "well, he wasn't an all pro at any point", or do they actually dig into it and say, "yeah, he wasn't an all pro, but he probably should have been this year and this year...the voters got this wrong). 

And there lies the problem with just leaving the voting process to only sportswriters going by their "gut". The HOF should split the involvement 50/50 between sportswriters and an analytics team like PFF or Football Outsiders.

Because at least they are actually sitting down, and chronicling every player on every snap,  in every game, at every position, and comparing performances to every other participant. And it's peer reviewed. Personal feelings, and intuition won't completely take over the voting process. I don't think Peter King has the time, interest, or energy to go back and watch every snap of Phillip Rivers. No one has up until the last 10 plus years when advanced metrics became a thing.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:34 AM, Shanedorf said:

The process is that somebody gets up and makes the case, typically a beat writer or columnist that covered that player. The presentation can last 30-45 minutes and it includes much of what you are referencing above. So yes, somebody digs deep into it and all of that info is shared in the room, including comments from his peers and opponents who played at the same time. These guys are professional journalists presenting to professional journalists, so the quality is pretty high based on what I've read over the years. We often gripe that the voters got it wrong, but none of us are in the room and few of us go to the lengths they do for the HOF selection committee

But then we hear stories of personal grudges getting in the way. One person refused to vote for Eric Dickerson, simply because he held out. Then of course there was that reporter that claimed he wouldn't have voted for Terrell Owens if he knew he wasn't going to show up to the ceremony. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

But then we hear stories of personal grudges getting in the way. One person refused to vote for Eric Dickerson, simply because he held out. Then of course there was that reporter that claimed he wouldn't have voted for Terrell Owens if he knew he wasn't going to show up to the ceremony. 

I personally think that player personalities, team chemistry, etc absolutely SHOULD be part of the criteria for getting into the Hall.  Simply looking at the stats and watching film of TO there's no question he belongs.  But when you factor in all the other stuff, the fact that he was an absolute cancer everywhere he went, the fact that teammates like McNabb and coaches like Andy Reid couldn't stand him, the fact that he was much more in love with himself than he ever was with the game; those factors should be held against him, and skipping his own induction ceremony perfectly demonstrates the reason I don't feel he deserves to be in the HOF, no matter how great a player he was.  Nobody should feel entitled to be a first-ballot HOFer and it is incredibly insulting to all the other guys that made it to that hallowed ground in Canton for him to think he is still bigger than the game.

But that's just my personal opinion...

I think his stats may eventually get him in; he'll be waiting a while though. 

If he can win MVP or at least reach a Super Bowl before he retires, he'll be a lock, but still not first ballot, IMO. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, Malik said:

Him, Eli, and Carson Palmer are all the pretty much the same caliber of QB.

Terrible comparison.  Rivers has been a top 5-8 QB for pretty much his entire career.   

Eli had a few great years mixed in amongst an average to above average career; however, he'll get in the hall because of the Superbowls, but at no point was he ever on Rivers' level.

Palmer was on his way to becoming elite until his leg was broken, then he was never the same.  Like Eli, he has a few great seasons sprinkled throughout his career, but was never a perennial top 5-10 QB.  Aside from maybe a couple years here and there, Rivers has always been among the best 5 or 6 best QBs in the league year in and year out, during which was really a golden age for quarterbacks.

Archived