The Box Office

Acgott

So Jumanji has incredible legs... I believe it is the first film since Titanic in 1997 to surpass $300M domestic despite opening less then $40M. In its 5th week it is estimated to make 19M. It’s need to make 20.5 to surpass The Avengers as sixth best 5th weekend all time.

Its probably going to end up as the fifth highest grossing movie of 2017 ahead of Spider-Man, Thor, IT, Justice League.

• 5 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Black Panther off to a monster start, blowing away all expectations.  Will end up as either the 5th or 6th biggest opening ever depending on Sunday actuals.

I honestly think this will easily top Avengers: Age of Ultron by the end of its run and will push for $600 million.

Domestic absolutely, won't have AoU's international numbers because that was a behemoth overseas but the next month basically BP has to itself until Ready Player One which is it's only real competition. It'll hit $600 pretty easily I feel, it released in the perfect market, has great word of mouth and the stars align for it to have legs for months.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, seminoles1 said:

Black Panther off to a monster start, blowing away all expectations.  Will end up as either the 5th or 6th biggest opening ever depending on Sunday actuals.

I honestly think this will easily top Avengers: Age of Ultron by the end of its run and will push for $600 million.

Initial estimates were way off.  Initially projected on Saturday to do $192 million through Sunday...now projected at $202 million + another $33+ million from Monday.  It also has a real chance once actuals come in to have the biggest Sunday ever; current projections are less than $1 million behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Unbelievable.

On another note...China is reporting that their movies did over $500 million over the weekend.

Top 5
Monster Hunt 2: $190 million
Detective Chinatown 2: $154 million
The Monkey King 3: Kingdom of Women: $79.9 million
Operation Red Sea: $70.3 million
Boonie Bears: $40.9 million

Holy. ****.

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

On another note...China is reporting that their movies did over $500 million over the weekend.

Top 5

Holy. ****.

Mulan is going to be so much money over there when it comes out ..

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Top 5

Holy. ****.

They have 1.4 billion people.  That really shouldn't be all too shocking. 

4 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

If the report is true that Mulan won't have any singing, I think it'll flop.

Lol.  What?  This isn't Beauty and the Beast.  There are no iconic or memorable songs in the cartoon.  Was there even any singing at all in the cartoon?  The movie will do better if it doesn't have any singing in it. 

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

Did you even watch the movie?

I was asking that honestly.  I don't remember.  I have seen Mulan, but it was ages ago.  I think a movie like Mulan will do just fine.  Feminists will eat that up, and who really cares about singing?  I refuse to watch the new Beauty and the Beast specifically because there is singing.  Singing belongs in cartoons.  Screw musicals. 

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

If singing is important to the cartoon movie, why leave it out of the live action. It's like Aladdin without "a whole new world" or lion king with its amazing songs.

No, it's not like that.  The difference is that Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast and other Disney movies are fantasies.  The Lion King is Hamlet with lions.  Mulan is based on a true story.  Mulan doesn't need singing, and I think singing would just harm it.