2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Once again... you can say that about every position. Like I stated... don’t draft a QB high bc of Brady as the best ever? It’s about our roster. We have literally nothing on offense. And we need a playmaker in the worst way. So can you get talent at RB in Round 3 or 4? Sure. A difference maker? Probably not.

You realize the majority of franchise QB’s are drafted in the 1st or 2nd though, right?

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Also Bobby, the edge comment makes zero sense. My point is that the the odds of finding an elite edge decrease dramatically as the draft goes on. It’s stays roughly the same until the middle rounds for RB’s. Also, never drop the mic when a ton of people disagree with you. 

You brought up SBs as a reason as to how good a RB is. My point was merly to show you how wrong that is this year. Bc LAs 2 edges aren’t that good in Littleton and Fowler (I like Fowler but he’s not producing) and Flowers and Van Noy (neither drafted high). But LA did draft Gurley at 10 and he’s arguably the best RB in the league. And the Pats who plus in anyone on offense were even able to see that big talents should be drafted on offense in the league and took Michel. And he’s played very well for them. I completely agree that just a RB should never be drafted Round 1. But a RB that can rush and receive at a difference making level? Absolutely I’ll argue that all day that they’re worthy of the high draft pick. We more so than any franchise should know this, Bc we’ve lacked it for so long. Literally not one difference maker on our offense in forever. Hence why we have been bad for forever. Think it’s a coincidence the few years we won were when we get Braylon and Holmes with a good run game for a couple season?

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

You brought up SBs as a reason as to how good a RB is. My point was merly to show you how wrong that is this year. Bc LAs 2 edges aren’t that good in Littleton and Fowler (I like Fowler but he’s not producing) and Flowers and Van Noy (neither drafted high). But LA did draft Gurley at 10 and he’s arguably the best RB in the league. And the Pats who plus in anyone on offense were even able to see that big talents should be drafted on offense in the league and took Michel. And he’s played very well for them. I completely agree that just a RB should never be drafted Round 1. But a RB that can rush and receive at a difference making level? Absolutely I’ll argue that all day that they’re worthy of the high draft pick. We more so than any franchise should know this, Bc we’ve lacked it for so long. Literally not one difference maker on our offense in forever. Hence why we have been bad for forever. Think it’s a coincidence the few years we won were when we get Braylon and Holmes with a good run game for a couple season?

Read my DVOA comment. Done arguing. 

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You realize the majority of franchise QB’s are drafted in the 1st or 2nd though, right?

Yes bc it’s a prioritized position. We are constantly behind on every trend. Yes years ago no one was drafting RBs in Round 1, but have you not seen that change the last 4-5 years? And why is that? Bc the nfl has changed. It’s about scoring. And we don’t do that. And that’s bc we lack talent at RB, WR, OL. We want to keep plugging in 3rd-7th rounders in on offense? Then we have no one to blame but ourselves for sucking. Bc we stayed plying the 1990’s NFL in 2010 and beyond.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Of the top 15 RB leaders in DVOA last year, only 3 were first rounders. Not arguing this any more. Zero need to draft an RB in the 1s

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Read my DVOA comment. Done arguing. 

Yet the last 2 teams playing did.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The problem drafting a RB in the 1st is the shelf life is very short.  We can not afford to allocate a 1st round to a position that might only have a short shelf life.  I don't see a Gurley in the draft and we are not NE who has a late r0ound pick and a 40+ all time QB trying to get another ring.  We need a 1st rounder that has the potential to be around a while. Hence that is why a RB is not the right pick for the NYJs in the 1st this year.

3 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

The problem drafting a RB in the 1st is the shelf life is very short.  We can not afford to allocate a 1st round to a position that might only have a short shelf life.  I don't see a Gurley in the draft and we are not NE who has a late r0ound pick and a 40+ all time QB trying to get another ring.  We need a 1st rounder that has the potential to be around a while. Hence that is why a RB is not the right pick for the NYJs in the 1st this year.

I see Jacobs as a Gurley talent. And the shelf life isn’t as long for a RB. But let’s look at Jacobs. He’s not your typical RB coming out he’s not even had 300 touches in his college career (for comparison Bell has over 430 just in the 2017 season). Plus he’s still only 20 (turns 21 in a few weeks) he has a good amount of football left in him. He’s not just a couple year player. He should be very valuable for 8 years.

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

And only two were top 15 in DVOA this year. What does that say?

Im done debating this with you. Your turning to DVOA to argue your point. Reaching. Like I said 60% of the final 8 teams drafted a RB in Round 1, so clearly it works. I can careless about DVOA rankings

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Im done debating this with you. Your turning to DVOA to argue your point. Reaching. Like I said 60% of the final 8 teams drafted a RB in Round 1, so clearly it works. I can careless about DVOA rankings

How is DVOA reaching?  Arguably the best analytic is reaching?  This is why I don’t argue with you bro. I prove you wrong and you either say that you’re not arguing anymore or you just stop responding. DVOA proves that drafting an RB in rd 1 makes no sense.  But I’m reaching clearly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

How is DVOA reaching?  Arguably the best analytic is reaching?  This is why I don’t argue with you bro. I prove you wrong and you either say that you’re not arguing anymore or you just stop responding. DVOA proves that drafting an RB in rd 1 makes no sense.  But I’m reaching clearly. 

No it’s a stat. You can finagle any stat into a direction if you want. I watch football and see that difference makers make offenses go. And that includes RBs. No I wouldn’t reach on a guy just bc he’s a RB. But it’s surely is a very high valuable position (they do touch the ball 30 times a game ya know). Like is stated im sure there’s countless stats that show non sack artist edges are just as valuable as the sack artist. It’s a stat. But you can’t tell me that Gurley wouldn’t be better than Crowell, that Elliot wouldn’t be better than Crowell, that Michel wouldn’t be better than Crowell and so on. It’s about OUR team. And we need to score. So yes RB is a heightened need. I’m sure you have a stat that shows that Crowell was a top RB this year. But like I said... you watch and you see slightly above average (and I like Crowell).

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No it’s a stat. You can finagle any stat into a direction if you want. I watch football and see that difference makers make offenses go. And that includes RBs. No I wouldn’t reach on a guy just bc he’s a RB. But it’s surely is a very high valuable position (they do touch the ball 30 times a game ya know). Like is stated im sure there’s countless stats that show non sack artist edges are just as valuable as the sack artist. It’s a stat. But you can’t tell me that Gurley wouldn’t be better than Crowell, that Elliot wouldn’t be better than Crowell, that Michel wouldn’t be better than Crowell and so on. It’s about OUR team. And we need to score. So yes RB is a heightened need. I’m sure you have a stat that shows that Crowell was a top RB this year. But like I said... you watch and you see slightly above average (and I like Crowell).

It’s analytics. It proves you wrong. Go poll FF and ask them if drafting an RB on rd 1 makes sense. 

Btw, this proves you wrong as well. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2017/3/23/15025634/success-rates-of-drafting-a-running-back-nfl-draft

Edited by barnaby8787

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

It’s analytics. It proves you wrong. Go poll FF and ask them if drafting an RB on rd 1 makes sense. 

Btw, this proves you wrong as well. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2017/3/23/15025634/success-rates-of-drafting-a-running-back-nfl-draft

Correct me if I’m wrong... but Weren’t  you the guy last year saying Barkley was a risk bc his (analytics) showed he was too big play dependant? I know it was someone on here that hated the idea of Barkley even if we landed Cousins in FA.