Giancarlo Stanton Watch

NewAge

Giancarlo Stanton Watch  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many homers will Stanton finish the year with?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/21/2017 at 01:31 AM

9 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Would that make him the "official" or "unofficial" single season HR king?

I always find it funny when people use Bonds "jump" as evidence and then say Maris should be the single season leader. His 5 year numbers with the record in the middle was 16, 39, 61, 33, 23 and those 3 were his only 3 with at least 30.

19 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Would that make him the "official" or "unofficial" single season HR king?

He becomes official at #74. I lean towards the "everyone was juicing including the pitchers, so the steroid era records should be left alone" side. I'm content with the logic of statistics compiled when juiced pitchers were facing juiced hitters are on par with stats compiled with "clean" pitchers against "clean" hitters.

12 hours ago, mse326 said:

I always find it funny when people use Bonds "jump" as evidence and then say Maris should be the single season leader. His 5 year numbers with the record in the middle was 16, 39, 61, 33, 23 and those 3 were his only 3 with at least 30.

Love Bonds but I'm pretty sure Maris wasn't injecting cattle hormones.  Also Maris was 26 when he broke it.

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Love Bonds but I'm pretty sure Maris wasn't injecting cattle hormones.  Also Maris was 26 when he broke it.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was other stuff. And then why did he only have the 1 season.

2004 itself was just a monster HR year. Look at Luis Gonzalez and Rich Aurillia and what they did compared to what they did in every other year.

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there was other stuff. And then why did he only have the 1 season.

2004 itself was just a monster HR year. Look at Luis Gonzalez and Rich Aurillia and what they did compared to what they did in every other year.

Gonzo for sure did.

Luis%20Gonzalez%20Diamondbacks%20World%2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Maris would probably be more likely to inject animal hormones since horses were the original source of testosterone...

Nothing would surprise me but guys didn't have the options or quality they had in this era.

He also took Deca-Durabolin. By 2001, the authors allege, he was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=2358236

He was already the best player of his generation but he went best player to Alien God.

Even if we do say that Bonds, McGwire, Sosa can't have the record because of steroids how do we factor in today's juiced ball. The record for most HRs was set this June. It is going to be broken here in August. This year will shatter the previous record for HR's in a year. 

Do we not count that? It clearly helps and this one can actually be proven unlike steroids where there are still scant studies actually proving a link between steroids and home runs..

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

Even if we do say that Bonds, McGwire, Sosa can't have the record because of steroids how do we factor in today's juiced ball. The record for most HRs was set this June. It is going to be broken here in August. This year will shatter the previous record for HR's in a year. 

Do we not count that? It clearly helps and this one can actually be proven unlike steroids where there are still scant studies actually proving a link between steroids and home runs..

Not to mention different eras.  No player was touching homerun records in 1968.

Should we asterisk records after the lowering of the mound?

On 8/30/2017 at 7:56 PM, DirtyDez said:

Plus any of the greenies or "Mantle injected some substance into his hip" arguments are weak attempts at moral equivalence.  I have no problem pointing out the "my generation's players were clean" hypocrisy, but that kind of stuff has nothing on the roids scene in the 80s-90s.

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Plus any of the greenies or "Mantle injected some substance into his hip" arguments are weak attempts at moral equivalence.  I have no problem pointing out the "my generation's players were clean" hypocrisy, but that kind of stuff has nothing on the roids scene in the 80s-90s.

Most studies I've read actually suggest greenies/amphetamines do more to help hit home runs than steroids. Steroids do more to help recovery.

Archived