Roster Prediction

VigilantZombie

32 minutes ago, jebrick said:

At some point they will have to switch to what I will call the Cowher system.  Players walk on C$3.  That is the most expensive contract with generally the least value.  It can net comp picks in the draft.  Gilbert is prime for that as is Pouncey.

Especially with Munchak at the helm. I think keeping Pouncey is more important because of his relationship with Ben, but I am all for ditching Gilbert. Chuks, Banner, and perhaps Hawkins can step in with Munchak's tutelage. 

Where I disagree with that theory anymore is it worked when this team was looking for different style players from other teams (tweeter rushers, big corners, hard hitting tweeter safeties). 

The issue is now everyone is looking for that so the compensatory picks don’t do as much for us. And even though you can trade them they aren’t enough to move up in the draft. 

Add on not being able to bring in someone else from outside to replace that and the idea of replacing from within has diminished since our depth sucks. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

So just want to throw something out there I put in another thread:

We did this restructure, and I wouldn’t push to use this space unless there’s an injury. 2019’s projected space is still $14 mil. Roll over say $10 mil of this years. 

Thats $24 mil in cap space next year. 

Then you do some potential simple nipping and tucking like cutting Haden, and the space balloons to $34 million. 

$34 mil to throw around with guys like Earl Thomas, Ziggy Ansah, Clowney, Barr, Mosley, Clinton-Dix, Roby, Darby....and the way this FO can be creative, we can really change the defense. 

$10mil in year one for ET, $15 mil in year one for Ansah, $9mil in year one for Roby or Darby. That give us a super bowl quality defense fast. 

But alas, I bet the FO uses the money to extend Ben, Dupree, Gilbert, and James. Then sit there and talk again how it’s not that they avoid FA it’s that they don’t have the money for FA. 

I clicked like as in agree with your comment because thats our FO, not that I like that of course. You did forget to mention that they will try to sign bell xD

I would opt for the more economical improvements  Shane Ray, Vonte Davis (if he is healthy and still good - physical corner) , Roby and if Justin Houston is released of course (and is still good despite being asked to cover pro bowl WR's etc).  The broncos drafting Chubb could help very much next year ;). Gilbert has been solid, possible pro bowler , graded much better than pouncey in PFF but better not get suspended again. Chuks holds too much, but Banner might be steal with a year of Munchak coaching him.  I agree about the comment signing Ben, who had one foot out the door but whined and got his way and now wants to stay and play 3+ years which could make him another $85M  thanks to the Rodgers deal. However, if ben is healthy and doesn't beat the pats, jags and loses early in the playoffs, or doesn't make the playoffs, then it might be time to move on. The underachieving has gone on way too long and this might be the year they make some changes and drafting a QB and keeping another young QB could be a way of being prepared. 

Big name UFA's are hit and miss it seems , almost like RD1 picks. I don't blame the team for not falling into that trap, but there is the occasional player worth it but we never have the cap money anyways. I they parted ways with Ben, let bell walk and don't give dupree his 5th year, thats about $45M of cap saved anyways, so there is one way these players can be signed. 

While I would prefer for us to win, there could be a silver lining to a season that ends early if it results in the changes that are required are finally made . Bradshaw had a comment recently about why did they run Haley out instead of Butler because the D allowed 45points and they kept the Butler?  They made Bortles look much better than they made Tebow look when we lost to him in the playoffs a few years back. Tomlin however, will never get fired, we know that by now. 

The problem I have with the current team is that the core is there and we are a few moves/players away from being a SB team, but this has gone on for a few years and we are wasting talent with the underachieving , blame coaching, or some players but this schedule will test the team. Last years schedule should be viewed as irrelevant  , just too easy. What happened in the playoff loss should have influenced the FO to address the D more in scheme and talent but we never got the help at edge accept in gift via UDFA Adeyini and no help at CB. I expect Adeyini to be good, so that should help when he returns, in what, week12 ? So that actually worked out well, because dupree will have 12 weeks to prove colbert and company right or wrong.  Burns better have a good season, and I hope he does but don't expect it.  ILB Thomas could save the day if Bostic gets hurt, and Thomas was another gift via UDFA

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

At some point they will have to switch to what I will call the Cowher system.  Players walk on C$3.  That is the most expensive contract with generally the least value.  It can net comp picks in the draft.  Gilbert is prime for that as is Pouncey.

what is C$3? Gilbert is a very good OT, but Pouncey is maybe an average C, so let him go if they have to.  Cody Wallace was as effective IMO, just for example.  Speaking of Cowher and after my posts about underachieving and others about tomlin winning with cowherd team I thought of something. What if cowher replaced tomlin and won back to back xD Would people say he won with Tomlins team the same way people say Tomlin won with cowherd team? 

@MOSteelers56 hawkins can't even stay on the field and will be gone.  And NO, we don't want to rebuild the OL and waste another 4 years doing that

I'm not going to quote that because I don't want to muddle up this page with more giant font.

What makes you think Hawkins will be gone? I think he'll be given every chance to earn his spot back. 

Also, if we've got this offensive line savant on the staff, why do we need to pay huge contracts out to linemen? Munchak is turning chicken crap into chicken salad. Finney, AV, Gilbert, Feiler, Chuks, the list goes on and on. I think our team could greatly benefit from some extra money. The line seems like a good way of getting that. 

I'd like the Steelers to sign Steven Means. He is productive off the edge and has a great motor. Means is soon to be 28 years old and has the size and athleticism to be an immediate impact. I do question how effective he is in coverage but feel he is a huge upgrade over Chickillo. 

55 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I'd like the Steelers to sign Steven Means. He is productive off the edge and has a great motor. Means is soon to be 28 years old and has the size and athleticism to be an immediate impact. I do question how effective he is in coverage but feel he is a huge upgrade over Chickillo. 

armsteeld, you are our mock draft expert and next GM, so I might as well ask. Would a trade of Bell and dupree  for Carl  Lawson  and Carson be possible if bell signed the tag soon?  If not, I think trading for ET should be priority #1. If both happened, then I would say a good offseason buy the FO, A+ grade, not the C- as it stands

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

armsteeld, you are our mock draft expert and next GM, so I might as well ask. Would a trade of Bell and dupree  for Carl  Lawson  and Carson be possible if bell signed the tag soon?  If not, I think trading for ET should be priority #1. If both happened, then I would say a good offseason buy the FO, A+ grade, not the C- as it stands

Why would we trade Bell to a team we have to play twice a year? 

C$3 is the 3rd contract for an NFL player.  Cowher ( and Ozzie Newsome to name one GM) would often not hand them out as they translate into draft picks.  BB likes to trade for players that will be Fa than net him a possible draft pick.

And Pouncey is much much better than Wallace.  What the OLine can do with Pouncey vs Wallace stark.  I am saying that it is not worth paying Pouncey 10M per year when his skills are declining.

The Offense is gonna need rebuilt/replaced sooner rather than later...basically the whole OL save for Decastro going forward...The Steelers drafting Chuks kinda falls in line with that.

Back to back high WR picks...Connor...Drafting Rudolph.,..next up is OL and maybe RB/TE.

6 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

The Offense is gonna need rebuilt/replaced sooner rather than later...basically the whole OL save for Decastro going forward...The Steelers drafting Chuks kinda falls in line with that.

Back to back high WR picks...Connor...Drafting Rudolph.,..next up is OL and maybe RB/TE.

The offense is undergoing what we used to see with the defense years ago. Drafted at already set positions and let gays develop so you can sign them to sub-market deals. 

Archived