PHREAK'S Dynasty League (Discussion Thread)

WE-R-Lions

5 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I don't think that ESPN allows for max points for because it isn't really designed for dynasty. You'd have to use something like Sleeper or a different platform. 

Optimal lineup doesn't actually change the lineups, by the way. It just tracks how many points you could have scored each week. It doesn't actually change wins and losses. 

Considering how much time we have between the season and the draft, I could probably go back through each match-up in the off-season and replace a player projected to score 0 in a given week to the highest-scoring player from their bench, or something. The difference could be added to their overall points scored, and we could establish the non-playoff team draft order based on the total points scored.

Since we do a lot of this on the forum, I don't really mind doing that.

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Considering how much time we have between the season and the draft, I could probably go back through each match-up in the off-season and replace a player projected to score 0 in a given week to the highest-scoring player from their bench, or something. The difference could be added to their overall points scored, and we could establish the non-playoff team draft order based on the total points scored.

Since we do a lot of this on the forum, I don't really mind doing that.

It would be pretty complicated and a lot of work. Other dynasty leagues have it calculated so it truly looks at what your best lineup would've been each week, so you'd even have to look and see if someone had a player that scored 11 points starting when they had a 12 point guy on their bench. It's a lot of work that ESPN doesn't really support. 

That's just how a lot of other leagues do it - but I've accepted that we're not truly a full dynasty league anyway. We're close but kind of unique. 

17 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

It would be pretty complicated and a lot of work. Other dynasty leagues have it calculated so it truly looks at what your best lineup would've been each week, so you'd even have to look and see if someone had a player that scored 11 points starting when they had a 12 point guy on their bench. It's a lot of work that ESPN doesn't really support. 

That's just how a lot of other leagues do it - but I've accepted that we're not truly a full dynasty league anyway. We're close but kind of unique. 

Yeah, I'm not concerned about the 12 over 11 situations. Those are whatever. I'm more concerned about owners that are blatantly missing starts.

I also don't care about the work. Winter gets slow around here, so I've got the time.

But, I'm up for whatever.

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I think optimum lineup is a slippery slope and I would not like that.

It's part of fantasy for owners to pick wrong lineups at times.

Might as well be a total points league then 

It's made so that you can't set a crap lineup and get rewarded with a higher draft pick. It does not impact playoff spots or wins and losses, JUST the draft order. It does not mean that your lineup gets changed every week or gets changed retroactively. It could especially be useful in a league like this, where you have some really good teams that just might play in a great division, and then those teams get rewarded with an amazing pick because of their draft position. Or a scenario where a mediocre team plays in a weak division and gets a much lower pick despite being a pretty bad team. It makes it hard to really rebuild or find parity. 

In theory it makes sure that the worst teams are actually getting the highest draft picks, not teams that benched players on purpose or forgot to set their lineup. 

It's just something to think about. If we aren't going to do that, we need to find a way to be more diligent to make sure that everyone sets a lineup each week - whether that means we have someone actively policing it and calling people out, or we have stricter penalties, or frankly we find some new owners. Every owner should be responsible for participating in the draft and setting their lineup each week. 

I'm tired of seeing this issue where a bad team, which should be getting a high draft pick to improve, ends up losing draft position because someone didn't take two minutes to set their lineup. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I think optimum lineup is a slippery slope and I would not like that.

It's part of fantasy for owners to pick wrong lineups at times.

Might as well be a total points league then 

Just so we're on the same page: optimum lineup only affects draft order and doesn't affect the outcome of actual games.

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Which I don't agree with 

Find active owners if it's the issue 

Just pointing out that your "pick wrong lineups" and "total points league" comments made zero sense to the conversation we're having.

Not to mention: demanding "active owners" is great and all, but what happens when active owners intentionally tank? Optimum lineup prevents that from happening.

Seems like you'd rather just cross your fingers and throw out best-case scenarios instead of implementing systems that actually fix the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Just pointing out that your "pick wrong lineups" and "total points league" comments made zero sense to the conversation we're having.

Not to mention: demanding "active owners" is great and all, but what happens when active owners intentionally tank? Optimum lineup prevents that from happening.

Seems like you'd rather just cross your fingers and throw out best-case scenarios instead of implementing systems that actually fix the problem.

Punish tankers 

31 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Actual. 

It’s how many points your team could have scored had you played your best lineup each week.

And a reflection of how good your roster actually is.

Doesn't have any affect on the outcome of games, but changes the non-playoff team draft order to ensure that the actual worst team selects first. Makes tanking extremely difficult in a dynasty league.