What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

"Cheap, healthy food isn't readily available" has always meant to me "Cheap, healthy food that is already prepared isn't readily available".

Beans, eggs, some vegetables (carrots, broccoli), bulk amounts of meat (especially chicken thighs, drumsticks) are all dirt cheap especially in larger amounts. Pair some staples like that with a $0.35 daily multi-vitamin and you're eating better than most of the country with low cost. Cook with healthy oils and butter (also not expensive when it comes to cost per calorie).

While you are right on average across America, this isn't true everywhere, did you miss the food desert thing?

You guys (and myself as well) are also taking it for granted that everybody knows as much about nutrition and health and cooking as we do.

There are people in this country who don't know the first thing about any of that outside of how to use a microwave and that soda and junk food can make you fat. But there is absolutely food that is marketed as healthy that isn't and these people can fall prey to those traps.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

There is another factor beyond poverty that seems to be correlated with differing levels of obesity among population subgroups.

Poverty goes hand in hand with poor education if that's what you mean, and i'm sure that plays a role.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Nearly 33 percent of adults who did not graduate high school were obese, compared with 21.5 percent of those who graduated from college or technical college.

If your point is they aren’t educated, fine, but education, or lack thereof, is a bit of a choice as well.  Educate yourself, the info is readily available for most folks.

More than 33 percent of adults who earn less than $15,000 per year are obese, compared with 24.6 percent of those who earned at least $50,000 per year.

Smart, educated people make better decisions, whether that’s in finance, career choices or at the dinner table.

Children of parents with less than 12 years of education had an obesity rate 3.1 times higher (30.4 percent) than those whose parents have a college degree (9.5 percent).

Children of idiots suffer the consequences, I agree and it’s unfortunate, but what their parents feed time is their choice.  They can make better choices, as is evidence by the SEVENTY PERCENT who aren’t obese.

Children living below the federal household poverty level have an obesity rate 2.7 times higher (27.4 percent) than children living in households exceeding 400 percent of the federal poverty level.

So 3/4 have figured out how not to be obese, but the other 1/4 have no reasonable ability to fix it’s? Maybe the fat kids parents need to ask the skinny neighbor’s parent what they feed them.

Children living in low-income neighborhoods are 20 percent to 60 percent more likely to be obese or overweight than children living in high socioeconomic status neighborhoods and healthier built environments.

Sure, due to their choices and the choices of their parents, not a lack of options.

Girls (ages 10 to 17) living in neighbor- hoods having lower socioeconomic characteristics are more likely to be obese (19.2 percent) and overweight (35.7 percent) than are girls living in neighborhoods having higher socioeconomic characteristics.

See above.

There’s clearly more to the story than what you’re making of it.

With kids? Sure.  Adults? No, it’s every bit as simple as we’re making it. Stop shoveling garbage into your mouth and take a walk and you’ll be on the right side of those stats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

While you are right on average across America, this isn't true everywhere, did you miss the food desert thing?

You guys (and myself as well) are also taking it for granted that everybody knows as much about nutrition and health and cooking as we do.

There are people in this country who don't know the first thing about any of that outside of how to use a microwave and that soda and junk food can make you fat. But there is absolutely food that is marketed as healthy that isn't and these people can fall prey to those traps.

Nah didn't miss it, food deserts are a problem but for a minority of the obese.

I 100% agree with the bolded and one has to wonder where to lay the blame. Should public schools have a responsibility? At what point is the onus on the individual, who almost certainly has internet access regardless of income level, to go online and take some damned initiative in the name of their health and that of their children?

Shady marketing definitely plays a role too. That yogurt that has "no added fat" but also has 40g of sugar is hard to catch for some.

Edited by cddolphin
i cant grammar good

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I 100% agree with the bolded and one has to wonder where to lay the blame. Should public schools have a responsibility? At what point is the onus on the individual, who almost certainly has internet access regardless of income level, to go online and take some damned initiative in the name of their health and that of their children?

Shady marketing definitely plays a role too. That yogurt that has "no added fat" but also has 40g of sugar is hard to catch for some.

Should public schools do more? Absolutely imo. I honestly think they have room to cut out a bit of history, english, math, and science (and I say that as a future high school science teacher) and I think they should add in life skills. Teach people how to be healthy, how to spot scams, how to research things to find the best deal for a product, etc. Most people don't need chemistry or to know wtf an appositive is or to go so in depth on european history from several hundred years ago, or most math in highschool tbh.

At what point is it on the individual? This is hard to say because you don't know what you don't know, so you don't know to look up what you don't know. Without a strong basis to begin with, many people won't even consider researching things like wth the difference is between a trans-unsaturated fat and a polyunsaturated fat is. Like I admitted before, I know full well what I would need to do to get in shape, and it's like 80% my choice not to straight up with like 20% being actual problems I would have to overcome, but not all people have the same levels of responsibility in this area imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

I 100% agree with the bolded and one has to wonder where to lay the blame. Should public schools have a responsibility? At what point is the onus on the individual, who almost certainly has internet access regardless of income level, responsible for going online and taking some damned initiative in the name of their health and that of their children?

I mean common sense goes a long way.

Who doesn’t know that fruits and veggies are healthy or that things like soda is garbage?

If you’re fat, it shouldn’t be much of a mystery as to what’s going on.  Eat less, be more active.  That’s pretty much it if you have the desire to change, which many don’t.

Another issue is when you talk about “healthy foods” and things like fat, sugar, etc. opinions vary and it’s hard to teach.

Almost universally veggies are considered healthy, but things like fat, fruits, carbs, cholesterol are all controversial.  Whose truth are they teaching?  

I can still recall the idea in the ‘90’s that fat was the devil and if you ate an avacado you would have a heart attack within 10 min...

So nutritional advice can be tricky, but the basics of eating less and being active are pretty universal for a healthy body weight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who doesn’t know that fruits and veggies are healthy or that things like soda is garbage?

It definitely does and it can bring you far, but common sense can be hijacked by clever marketing at times, especially if you're 1 in 5 in the US with at least a mild learning disability and an IQ below 85. Pair that with poor education and it puts you in quite a hole. Then you go to your local grocery store and instead of eggs and bacon, you grab the yogurt with a picture of a fruit on it that's labelled "all natural!" "no added fat!" because you truly think it's the smarter choice. Just for example.

You're correct that certain things should simply be understood. Soda bad. Veggies good. Etc.

Another issue is when you talk about “healthy foods” and things like fat, sugar, etc. opinions vary and it’s hard to teach.

Almost universally veggies are considered healthy, but things like fat, fruits, carbs, cholesterol are all controversial.  Whose truth are they teaching?  

I can still recall the idea in the ‘90’s that fat was the devil and if you ate an avacado you would have a heart attack within 10 min...

So nutritional advice can be tricky, but the basics of eating less and being active are pretty universal for a healthy body weight.

Yep it definitely doesn't help when the science seems to change and/or contradict itself. Or when abominations like the food pyramid are foisted on our youth.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

These two posts don't seem to Jive. "common sense" isn't always enough to cut it.

Plus, some fruits are very high in sugar which is a carb, so it wouldn't be hard to accidentally overdo it if all you know is soda and burgers are bad and fruits are good.

https://www.verywellfit.com/low-carb-fruit-list-2242528

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705?pg=2

It actually wouldn't be that hard to eat a couple cups of raisins and hit over 50% of your daily recommended carb intake, and if you are a fat person trying to lose weight, you should probably be eating less than that number, so this could really mess up some people.

5 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

It definitely does and it can bring you far, but common sense can be hijacked by clever marketing at times, especially if you're 1 in 5 in the US with at least a mild learning disability and an IQ below 85.

Either we got dumber over the last few decades or dumb people used to have eating figured out 50 years ago.

Pair that with poor education and it puts you in quite a hole. Then you go to your local grocery store and instead of eggs and bacon, you grab the yogurt with a picture of a fruit on it that's labelled "all natural!" "no added fat!" because you truly think it's the smarter choice. Just for example.

Let’s be real here, folks are getting fat on yogurt.

You're correct that certain things should simply be understood. Soda bad. Veggies good. Etc.

Obesity is hard to achieve eating decent food and reasons portions. Sure that yogurt may not be great, but eating that everyday and avoiding obvious blunders goes a long way.

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then there’s obvious garbage on the salad.  Pick that off.

This isn’t rocket science dude. 

Sure. Pick off the Parmesan cheese. Pick off the breaded chicken. Pick off the bacon. Pick off the croutons. Don’t put on the dressing. And eat lettuce and kale and nothing else and you got yourself a healthy meal. Definitely something people want to eat.

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

These two posts don't seem to Jive. "common sense" isn't always enough to cut it.

Plus, some fruits are very high in sugar which is a carb, so it wouldn't be hard to accidentally overdo it if all you know is soda and burgers are bad and fruits are good.

https://www.verywellfit.com/low-carb-fruit-list-2242528

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705?pg=2

It actually wouldn't be that hard to eat a couple cups of raisins and hit over 50% of your daily recommended carb intake, and if you are a fat person trying to lose weight, you should probably be eating less than that number, so this could really mess up some people.

Carbs and fat ratios, Keto, etc., is relevant for fit people trying to cut fat.

A simple calories in/calories out will work for almost all of the population. IIFYM uses this exact principle and folks do fine with it.

This couldn’t be simpler, if you’re gaining or not losing weight, eat less.  Whatever you’re eating, eat less of it. Do that until the scale moves in the right direction, which it will eventually, for literally everyone.