Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

Mayweather may be 50-0, as a result of a 10th round TKO of McGregor, but you have got to give McGregor credit for giving Mayweather all he could handle.  It may have been McGregor's first boxing match, but he gave Mayweather trouble over the first five rounds.

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

He’s spent probably 30 years working on cardio nearly every day. Dude is a machine. The cardio of high level boxers, cyclists and swimmers are just on a tier three or four levels higher than anyone else on the planet.

Even someone like Jon Jones, who has incredible MMA cardio, even if you take him juiced to the gills, couldn’t match half the cardio stamina of someone like Floyd or Michael Phelps. It’s just a whole different stratosphere.

Pretty much this.

One thing that helps Floyd is that he doesn't drink/smoke and never gets out of shape. He doesn't have to worry about cutting weight in camp. In fact, dude was grubbing on burgers a day or two before the fight. Floyd said he had to eat all that food just to maintain his weight. Very few in combat sports fight at or close to their walk around weight. Conor for example has to cut like 30+ pounds every weight.

Floyd also knows when to get breathers during the fight. Andre Berto describes it here:

2 hours ago, SteelersFanMD said:

Mayweather may be 50-0, as a result of a 10th round TKO of McGregor, but you have got to give McGregor credit for giving Mayweather all he could handle.  It may have been McGregor's first boxing match, but he gave Mayweather trouble over the first five rounds.

Conor is legit. True student of the game and has great belief in himself. Skilled counter puncher regardless of the sport.

2 hours ago, SteelersFanMD said:

I disagree. In fact, I'd say the Money handled McGregor pretty easily. At no point in that fight did I get the impression that Mayweather was in trouble. 

3 minutes ago, malak1 said:

I disagree. In fact, I'd say the Money handled McGregor pretty easily. At no point in that fight did I get the impression that Mayweather was in trouble. 

I agree. Barring a couple of moments early, when McGregor probably surprised Floyd, Floyd controlled him. 

I think Connor put up a good fight but Mayweather was comfortable. 

Conor did well regardless if he really dangered Floyd or not. He was able to punch enough and change his angles to the point it didn't allow Floyd to get off. Granted, Conor's punches had NOTHING on them but solid strategy. But eventually with that strategy you're going to get walked down. Floyd may have been 40 and out of the game for two years, but that is still FAR too big of a leap for a novice. Not only that, but dude went straight into a 12 rounder. That is unprecedented. There is a reason boxers go from 4 rounders to 6 rounders to 8 rounders to 10 rounders and then finally they are ready for a 12 round fight. Unless you are Lomachenko who made his debut in a 10 rounder and straight to 12 rounders after that. 

So once Conor was tired, his poor punching technique really was exposed. I'd still like to see him box once or twice more, but just not against any prime fighter. If he could improve on his stamina, he could pull out a win against a decent washed up fighter. 

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Conor did well regardless if he really dangered Floyd or not. He was able to punch enough and change his angles to the point it didn't allow Floyd to get off. Granted, Conor's punches had NOTHING on them but solid strategy. But eventually with that strategy you're going to get walked down. Floyd may have been 40 and out of the game for two years, but that is still FAR too big of a leap for a novice. Not only that, but dude went straight into a 12 rounder. That is unprecedented. There is a reason boxers go from 4 rounders to 6 rounders to 8 rounders to 10 rounders and then finally they are ready for a 12 round fight. Unless you are Lomachenko who made his debut in a 10 rounder and straight to 12 rounders after that. 

So once Conor was tired, his poor punching technique really was exposed. I'd still like to see him box once or twice more, but just not against any prime fighter. If he could improve on his stamina, he could pull out a win against a decent washed up fighter. 

I don't disagree with anything you just said, yet my point remains intact.

5 hours ago, iPwn said:

Even someone like Jon Jones, who has incredible MMA cardio, even if you take him juiced to the gills, couldn’t match half the cardio stamina of someone like Floyd or Michael Phelps. It’s just a whole different stratosphere.

if they wrestled with someone their same size would they still have a cardio advantage? I think a lot of it is just sport specific, do other boxers get tired fighting Floyd? I don't think that is a huge issue. Also I think the body develops a certain structure to maximize specific cardio needs over a long period of time that Conor didn't have the time to do.

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I agree. Barring a couple of moments early, when McGregor probably surprised Floyd, Floyd controlled him. 

I think Connor put up a good fight but Mayweather was comfortable. 

I kinda disagree. I don't believe Mayweather fought the way he did just to wear down McGregor. I think he had a lot of trouble playing at distance with Conor so he had to find another route to go. If he could've went out there and routed Conor he would have, I just don't think he was capable.

39 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

if they wrestled with someone their same size would they still have a cardio advantage? I think a lot of it is just sport specific, do other boxers get tired fighting Floyd? I don't think that is a huge issue. Also I think the body develops a certain structure to maximize specific cardio needs over a long period of time that Conor doesn't have the time to do.

I think so. Wrestlers are all about short bursts of extreme action. The premier stamina athletes both prepare for extreme energy bursts that last a good deal of time (20+ minutes nonstop) as well as being able to perform moderate energy behaviors for hours on end.

And wrestlers typically have the hardest time transitioning to the stamina needs in MMA because they’ve only ever trained for short burst activity without ever needing to train for longer durations.

Stamina is pretty much entirely about training your heart and lungs to be able to work in those two scenarios; boxers, swimmers and cyclists are really the three groups that train those to the max, because there aren’t many other where you need both trained to extremes.

15 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I kinda disagree. I don't believe Mayweather fought the way he did just to wear down McGregor. I think he had a lot of trouble playing at distance with Conor so he had to find another route to go. If he could've went out there and routed Conor he would have, I just don't think he was capable.

There’s no way that Floyd wanted this to be a route. He’s 50-0, not only is that a milestone, but it’s the best undefeated record in professional boxing history. This win put him in record books. He has way too big of an ego to win that in a route and hear for the rest of his life that his record deserves an asterisk because he put up someone who couldn’t fight to get the 50th win. He wanted the fight to seem like a legitimate test.

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

There’s no way that Floyd wanted this to be a route. He’s 50-0, not only is that a milestone, but it’s the best undefeated record in professional boxing history. This win put him in record books. He has way too big of an ego to win that in a route and hear for the rest of his life that his record deserves an asterisk because he put up someone who couldn’t fight to get the 50th win. He wanted the fight to seem like a legitimate test.

So it is better to be in actual fight with a dude who has never boxed than route him? All boxing people are saying anyways is that Floyd played with him, how does that make it better?

Also it never seems like Floyd cared about the 50-0 thing, if the Conor thing didn't happen would he ever of taken another fight?

Also I don't get how beating Conor affects his legacy at all. He already has beaten De La Hoya, Canelo, Berto, Manny etc, etc. And people wouldn't even be able to name half the dudes he fought any way like every other boxer that has ever lived, they constantly fight dudes not in their league.

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

So it is better to be in actual fight with a dude who has never boxed than route him? All boxing people are saying anyways is that Floyd played with him, how does that make it better?

In the sense that you now get people saying that Conor did a great job, yes it legitimizes Conor as an actual opponent. And we have far more people saying it was an enjoyable fight than those who said Floyd toyed with him. Plus in a year or so, the memory will largely be a 10 round mega-fight, opposed to a 3 round route where one guy didn’t look like he belonged.

Floyd cares about his legacy. He may not specifically care about 50-0 or being one win further than Rocky Marciano, but he cares that this record itself and his résumé justifies him calling himself TBE. The largest knock on Floyd’s record was always that he handpicked opponents and put himself in situations where he had the lowest probability of losing; fighting young guys before their feet got under them, fighting other guys past their prime. If his career ended by completely embarrassing Conor? That’s just the complete exclamation on those claims. At least now he gets the same fallback he always has - it was a competitive fight. 

5 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Also I don't get how beating Conor affects his legacy at all. He already has beaten De La Hoya, Canelo, Berto, Manny etc, etc. And people wouldn't even be able to name half the dudes he fought any way like every other boxer that has ever lived, they constantly fight dudes not in their league.

Lots of boxing fans put an asterisk next to every one of those fights. 

Archived