UFA's - will they lack interest

3rivers

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

with all the drama on this team and lack of success, would it cause the more sought after UFA to be disinterested in being on this team? Those player want to win, the pay at this point is secondary or should be. What do you think?

Are you assuming this "drama" is going to last for 17 weeks or our you basing this question on 2 weeks of play? 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Are you assuming this "drama" is going to last for 17 weeks or our you basing this question on 2 weeks of play? 

enough drama top last. Not new drama at this level, that probably is asking too much xD This team needs a wake up call , thats a start and winning helps that. 

I'm sorry but this is a stupid question. 

Even if players care about winning,  they would still come here.   We are still one of the most consistent teams in the league,  even with our problems.   Let's not act like we are suddenly the Browns. 

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm sorry but this is a stupid question. 

Even if players care about winning,  they would still come here.   We are still one of the most consistent teams in the league,  even with our problems.   Let's not act like we are suddenly the Browns. 

not the Browns, but not the old steelers either IMO. The bleeding needs to stop and the coach needs to get control of this team and especially the D. I just watched some highlights, I lost track of how many TD's burns got burned for, he is a terrible RD1 pick yet he still starts?  Edmunds missed an easy tackle on the one TD. Both of these RD1 picks can sit a week and think a bit  about how to play while others get a chance. Players need to be held accountable , but when will it happen?  This is might be worse than antwan blake when he was at CB starting. 

The D still has breakdowns, just pathetic since this happened quite a bit last year as well. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

not the Browns, but not the old steelers either IMO. The bleeding needs to stop and the coach needs to get control of this team and especially the D. I just watched some highlights, I lost track of how many TD's burns got burned for, he is a terrible RD1 pick yet he still starts?  Edmunds missed an easy tackle on the one TD. Both of these RD1 picks can sit a week and think a bit  about how to play while others get a chance. Players need to be held accountable , but when will it happen?  This is might be worse than antwan blake when he was at CB starting. 

The D still has breakdowns, just pathetic since this happened quite a bit last year as well. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, I was just disputing the notion that players wouldn't come here because of our current issues. The only reason not many big names come here in free agency is because we don't spend big on players we didn't develop ourselves. Normally, I don't mind that approach... but we are too deficient defense to just ignore free agency. We lack Playmakers on defense... Outside of maybe the defensive line.

23 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, I was just disputing the notion that players wouldn't come here because of our current issues. The only reason not many big names come here in free agency is because we don't spend big on players we didn't develop ourselves. Normally, I don't mind that approach... but we are too deficient defense to just ignore free agency. We lack Playmakers on defense... Outside of maybe the defensive line.

Good new is we'll have money to spend and there's some options there this year:

Ziggy Ansah, Clay Matthews, LaMarcus Joyner, Earl Thomas, Brian Orakpo, Tyrann Mathieu, Brandon Graham, Dante Fowler, Jadeveon Clowney, Anthony Barr, Ronald Darby

All honesty:

I would look at Barr, Darby, Mathieu; carry over cap (could be up to $20million IIRC), add it to the $15mil+ coming off the cap; and the near $45mil in space....and tell those three "I don't care how it gets done, but you three, this space, it's happening.

In the draft, I don't care what it takes draft capital wise, I'm putting myself in position to draft Devin White.  A converted RB, White is fast like Shazier.  Still learning the position but this guy has the skillset to be a terror in the middle. Keep an eye on #40 in this package:

Retain Haden, Burnett.

---------------------Tuitt - Hargraves - Heyward----------------------------

--------Watt ----- White ----------- Williams ------- Barr ------------------

-- Darby ------------ Mathieu ------- Burnett -------------- Haden -----

Hilton in the nickle, Hargraves comes off the field for him.

Edmunds in the 'big nickle' for Vince Williams.

In round two, Noah Fant TE Iowa; but I wouldn't be upset with Devin Bush LB Michigan or Michael Jackson CB Miami.

IMO this suddenly bumps players into more appropriate roles.  Vince Williams can go back to being the run down thumper/interior blizer and no longer is used as a coverage backer.  Artie Burns can become the depth corner that he did well with his rookie year.  Sean Davis is the 4th safety.  Of course this move kinda admits that Edmunds as a 1st round pick was stupid, but it puts him in that Joker Safacker role they drafted him for.  That defense can make stops.  They aren't world beaters by any means, but with what our offense can do, we don't need the Steel Curtain.  We just need an above average group.  

Then offensively very little changes:

---Brown --- Fant --- Villanova - Finney - Pouncey - DeCastro - Gilbert --------- Switzer/Washington -- Smith-Schuester

Roethlisberger

Conner

@warfelg If Burns keeps getting schooled, he better be off the team.  I think Shane Ray could be signed for decent price but wait and see.  I agree with a new CB thats for sure and I would sign ET for 3 years at safety. I don't want another CB from Miami either so go UFA and then a different school in the draft, trade burns if he keeps playing this badly.  What did you do with dupree, is he on your team? I ask since if he gets hurt and can't be healthy next training camp we have to pay him the 5th year option. 

Archived