Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

8 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

With what non-existent cap space are you using to pay Ramsey and Sherman over $23M, including to pay one of them to play a spot they never played before? Or are you getting rid of Garoppolo, Buckner, Staley, Richburg, Ford, or Alexander instead? Because even with cutting McKinnon, we still need to free up space to merely fit Ramsey onto the squad, and that says nothing of the 3rd round and beyond draft picks or any other spots where we need to upgrade via free agency. Which means next year you're bringing back the same receivers and offensive linemen in 2020 and not replacing Armstead/Blair/Day on the DL with anything more than UDFAs.

Can you not free up cap by giving Buckner his deal? Convert some of his salary to his signing bonus? I'm sure if we were to keep Sherman while adding Ramsey, there are ways to make it work. I mean I have no idea if they plan on keeping Sherman past this year or not. Just saying you could add Ramsey and shift Sherman to safety since that's where most expect him to eventually do anyways. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

But I am very intrigued by the concept of adding Ramsey to the team, because he is a top talent.

Actually, having discussed it, I change my mind. I think this would be a bad move. The upgrade might be minimal, the expense would be extravagant, and it prevents us from making other needed upgrades. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

John Lynch and his marvelous jawline and thick neck will get all of those players to restructure. Believe! 

Sherman is probably the one that has to re-do his deal if he returns. I mean that likely happens with or without Ramsey. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Can you not free up cap by giving Buckner his deal? Convert some of his salary to his signing bonus? I'm sure if we were to keep Sherman while adding Ramsey, there are ways to make it work. I mean I have no idea if they plan on keeping Sherman past this year or not. Just saying you could add Ramsey and shift Sherman to safety since that's where most expect him to eventually do anyways. 

I cannot imagine a contract scenario where Buckner has less than a $12M cap hit. And if there is one, it is likely offset by a scenario in which Kittle makes more than his currently scheduled $800k.

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I cannot imagine a contract scenario where Buckner has less than a $12M cap hit. And if there is one, it is likely offset by a scenario in which Kittle makes more than his currently scheduled $800k.

Then unfortunately for Sherman he either re-works his deal or will be gone. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sherman is probably the one that has to re-do his deal if he returns. I mean that likely happens with or without Ramsey. 

Sherm seems like the kind of guy to do it too. He'd appreciate the win-now move I think..but then again, our secondary currently has all the confidence in the world, they probably wouldn't feel like they need a Jalen Ramsey.

Besides the very obvious (and many) extensions we have to do this off-season, we also have some potential holes that not only have to be addressed, but done so in a cost effective manner. Joe Staley MAYBE has another year in the tank, I feel pretty lucky with what we've gotten from him so far though. But when he retires, that's going to be another first or second round pick to replace him. I don't want us bargain bin hunting on an OT. That said, I think if our staff was to deal our first round pick for Ramsey now, It would be incredibly telling as to our future plans or at least that there is a plan. 

edit: I also think in any trade for ANY star player, Thomas is going to be moved. He's a real easy way to clear some useless money. 

Edited by John232

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Sherm seems like the kind of guy to do it too. He'd appreciate the win-now move I think..but then again, our secondary currently has all the confidence in the world, they probably wouldn't feel like they need a Jalen Ramsey.

Besides the very obvious (and many) extensions we have to do this off-season, we also have some potential holes that not only have to be addressed, but done so in a cost effective manner. Joe Staley MAYBE has another year in the tank, I feel pretty lucky with what we've gotten from him so far though. But when he retires, that's going to be another first or second round pick to replace him. I don't want us bargain bin hunting on an OT. That said, I think if our staff was to deal our first round pick for Ramsey now, It would be incredibly telling as to our future plans or at least that there is a plan. 

Sherman doesn't like to be disrespected so the team would probably have to be up front with him. But yeah, I could see him returning after he reworks his deal. 

Right now the secondary is playing very well no doubt. Let's see how they play against some of the high powered offenses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sherman doesn't like to be disrespected so the team would probably have to be up front with him. But yeah, I could see him returning after he reworks his deal. 

Right now the secondary is playing very well no doubt. Let's see how they play against some of the high powered offenses. 

Agreed.

Be an interesting thing to see from a management perspective. If you talk to Sherman and see if he's willing to restructure (possibly extend/spread out) and essentially receive his blessing to trade for Ramsey..might be one way to do it 

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

edit: I also think in any trade for ANY star player, Thomas is going to be moved. He's a real easy way to clear some useless money. 

He's a real easy way to clear up a roster spot, but we lose money this year and next year are at zero (no savings) if we get rid of him. 

25 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Actually, having discussed it, I change my mind. I think this would be a bad move. The upgrade might be minimal, the expense would be extravagant, and it prevents us from making other needed upgrades. 

You just made our podcast out of date, damnit! lol

CAP TOTALS

TRANSACTIONS LOG (HIDE)

1. Released Solomon Thomas
    (Saved: $4,304,235)
  2. Released Jerick McKinnon
    (Saved: $4,800,000)
  3. Restructured Marquise Goodwin
    (Saved: $2,086,667)
  4. Restructured Raheem Mostert
    (Saved: $1,170,000)
  5. Traded Shawn Poindexter (SF) for Jalen Ramsey (JAC)
    (Saved: $-13,119,668)
  6. Restructured Weston Richburg
    (Saved: $4,260,000)

JUST TRADED SOMEONE CHEAP FOR RAMSEY

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm dicking around on Spotrac trying to restructure enough room for everyone.

..That Jerrick Mckinnon contract is so..effing..awful. 

We have 25 - 27 million in space. McKinnon gets us 4.5M (funny, I remember stating my displeasure regarding this contract because the idea was that in the grand scheme of things, his salary of 8m or whatever is a drop in the bucket of the total cap space...one of my issues was that it negated cap rollover....having that additional space from rollover would be handy now...that's why bad contract are bad contracts). 

Tevin Coleman gets us another 4.9M, and if you make this move, you have to cut Coleman and be willing to cut the fat. Mostert and Breida are fine. Sure, they are scary from a health perspective, I get that, but you can't pay running backs this much money in this scheme. You just have to be willing to run with Mostert / Breida / Wilson. After that, cuts become tough. Honestly, you should let Juice Check go at 5.5 million (it's asinine that my top three cuts are all running backs at this point). I love him, but 5.5 is a big deal when you're trying to work that. 

You have to extend Sherm or cut him at that point with Ramsey in the fold. He counts 10m against the cap, but only 1 million in dead cap. So you either extend him, convert to bonus to lower the cap, or you cut him. That gets you to roughly 45 million if you extend him, probably. 

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

CAP TOTALS

TRANSACTIONS LOG (HIDE)

1. Released Solomon Thomas
    (Saved: $4,304,235)
  2. Released Jerick McKinnon
    (Saved: $4,800,000)
  3. Restructured Marquise Goodwin
    (Saved: $2,086,667)
  4. Restructured Raheem Mostert
    (Saved: $1,170,000)
  5. Traded Shawn Poindexter (SF) for Jalen Ramsey (JAC)
    (Saved: $-13,119,668)
  6. Restructured Weston Richburg
    (Saved: $4,260,000)

JUST TRADED SOMEONE CHEAP FOR RAMSEY

Don't love the restructures. That's what I was talking about closing the window faster by acquiring him because that's just going to wreak havoc a year or two later. Also, pretty sure that we can't cut Solly and get anything outside of potential offset language. We have to trade him in order to really see a cap savings unless you're doing it post june 1, and again, there you're just pushing money out to a later year.