Week 5 GDT: Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

The 49ers are the first team in NFL history to pick up 30 first downs, hold their opponent to 10 or fewer first downs, and lose by double-digits. After today, NFL teams are 46-4 all time when they pick up 30 first downs and hold their opponent to 10 or fewer.

At least the tackling seems to be improving? Granted, today the Cards hardly had the ball but when their receivers caught it the defense seemed to back them down without a broken tackle.

I don't know, I feel the last two weeks that unit has been really sold. Secondary holding its own and tackling better. Just going to have inconsistent performances with a lack of pass rush. We are a legit FS and one edge rusher away from having a damn solid defense. Get another corner and can be really good. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

At least the tackling seems to be improving? Granted, today the Cards hardly had the ball but when their receivers caught it the defense seemed to back them down without a broken tackle.

I don't know, I feel the last two weeks that unit has been really sold. Secondary holding its own and tackling better. Just going to have inconsistent performances with a lack of pass rush. We are a legit FS and one edge rusher away from having a damn solid defense. Get another corner and can be really good. 

Yeah, edge / fs / cb. We should go pretty hard into ET. Not much of a corner market though, which sucks. Draft an edge, or if Lawrence somehow isn't tagged, go get him

Just now, John232 said:

Man, when I look at all the holes this team has to fill, it still feels like we're two years away from being actual contenders. Assuming Jimmy stays the course and doesn't light the world on fire. 

We need a legit, talent infusion.  Just go out and get legit players and figure the rest out later. No more overpaying marginal free agents because we think they fit in the scheme and we are somehow going to get more than what they have shown. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, edge / fs / cb. We should go pretty hard into ET. Not much of a corner market though, which sucks. Draft an edge, or if Lawrence somehow isn't tagged, go get him

Our corners with a good pass rush would look better. When you play as much zone as we do, you better get to the QB or else it is impossible to hold up. Opposing QBs will just find the soft part of the zone. 

ET would be phenomenal and I think we have a chance because of Sherman. I mean easy way to get revenge on the Seahawks and play on a defense you are familiar with to go along with one of your best friends in Sherman. 

I felt our corners have played well the last two weeks. They will only play better with a better pass rush. But you can always get good value corners in free agency.

You cannot get a edge rusher in free agency though. That will have to come via the draft, and likely in the first round. 

Back to the game, gotta say McGlinchey was looking beastly out there as well as Person. They were great in the run game and I don't recall them allowing any pressures. Really the only pressures came from Jones or when the Cards blitzed. 

Corner play appears to be better, if we go and get ET that's going to do a lot. Assuming he plays at the same level (no reason not too, not an achilles level injury). I think all of our young DB's will get better with more playing time and this year is a good year to sharpen them up. In my mind, (and literally anyone who watches us) our biggest focus this off-season HAS to be edge, and MULTIPLE guys. to the point where I have no problem if we draft a guy like Bosa, then trade up into the first and grab another guy. Screw Thomas, dude can get better or get out. Let him, Armstead and Street battle out for the big edge position next year or w.e the hell they want to do on nickel downs. 

But PLEASE clear the cap with Smith, Garcon, Celek and Mitchell. Roster filler. 

Archived