Week 6 GDT: Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, N4L said:

That's an over exaggeration. Disappointed, yes. Tears? Not a chance. Not over a regular season game. The guy has tasted defeat in the super bowl (as has everyone else on this forum) and then he came here only to get pounded on a weekly basis. 

He knew what he signed up for. He knew we were years away. 

That's the thing I like about Kyle, you can tell he knows that he is moving in the right direction and to continue to trust the process. He's a professional in every sense of the word, and is consistent on a day to day basis. Confident but not egotistical. Level headed and logical. It's a phenomenal mental make up for a coach of a professional franchise. 

They said on the radio after the game that mostert was challenged during the week to play better. Essentially his job was on the line. He had a great game. Sometimes the best way to get through to someone is having a sit down with them like adults. You don't have to be a ra-ra coach to motivate people. 

Yes, we are 1-5. But 4 of those 5 losses are against the Vikings, chiefs, chargers, and packers. Just a brutal schedule in hindsight. After the Rams it softens up and winning tonight and/or against the cards would have meant an outside shot at a playoff game and valuable playoff experience. At a minimum you need to know what it's like to be in the HUNT

This team is becoming battle tested. 

I remember Mike Nolan saying 'first a team hopes it can win, then a team believes it can win, then a team knows it can win' 

We are flirting with the line between believing and knowing. Eventually we HAVE to win the turnover battle???

Sherman just means that the play calls are good but that we aren't executing. He has a point. Saleh actually has called a few good games in a row. I went back and rewatched the Cardinals game, he had good timing on a few play calls and the zone blitzes were starting to come together. A few bad ones, that happens. 

Look at how much better our defense has done in the second half of games.

I think we need to commit to rushing 5 on almost every play. It forces one on one matchups across the board and allows our guys to work 1 v 1. Buckner can't handle the double team but cannot be blocked by one guy. We need to force teams to account for more bodies. Hopefully that will cause them to run more max protect, which means less guys running routes.

Thomas needs to be rushed from the interior. I'd love to see us with 5 DL on the field next week. Really control the LOS and force single teams. Marsh -armstead-thomas-buckner-blair. Then he could drop Marsh and blitz tarrt or something like that. Marsh is quick enough he would be ok. He's built more like a 3-4 OLB anyways. 

I've had next week circled on my calendar since week 17 last year. 

There has to be a better option than Marsh rushing from the outside. He consistently does nothing.

Like I've said before, can't really judge Saleh based on how young that side of the ball is and them failing to address the edge BUT he does have moments where he's clearly out-schemed.  And playing Armstead over Thomas in the nickel is stubbornness at it's finest. One thing I have noticed though is he seems to be very much a reactionary coach more than a intiuitive coach. He reacts to what the offense is doing instead of installing a game plan that throws off what the offense is trying to do.

9 hours ago, John232 said:

Literally why we watch the game. To be entertained. Saw a GOAT to GOAT things, saw our coach and players step up in a big way. They just couldn't put it away and a couple ducks on our team just kept us out of win range. 

Still in the Bosa conversation, most importantly. 

Last thing I'm caring about if it's against the 49ers. :|

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Like I've said before, can't really judge Saleh based on how young that side of the ball is and them failing to address the edge BUT he does have moments where he's clearly out-schemed.  And playing Armstead over Thomas in the nickel is stubbornness at it's finest. One thing I have noticed though is he seems to be very much a reactionary coach more than a intiuitive coach. He reacts to what the offense is doing instead of installing a game plan that throws off what the offense is trying to do.

The defense is actually solid when the team plays disciplined but we have had WAY too many breakdowns. Like there is some confusion going on that leads to a big gain every single game. This is a heavy cover 3 defense, but Saleh needs to understand the pass rush is not great so opposing QBs will eventually find someone open in the zone. He made adjustments after the first quarter and had the corners press at the LOS and blitzed more which worked out well until Ward left the game with a hammy injury. That was good to see that he didn't just stay back and let Rodgers pick apart the defense. Not giving Thomas interior rushes is just baffling and killing his biggest advantage he has over opposing guards. But looks like yesterday Day took most of the interior pass rush snaps along with Buckner. 

Either way, until we get a finisher from the edge, the defense will continue to be inconsistent. That isn't going to change. If this defense had Aldon Smith circa 11-13, I bet they would be looking a whole a lot better and a top 10-12 unit despite other holes on that side of the ball. All of a sudden the secondary would start to look better as well.

Some thoughts of last night:

• This game went exactly how I wanted it to go - a competitive loss. 
  • Mostert deserves more rushing attempts. He was finding space, hitting the hole with authority, and has the speed to break a big gain. I don't think he's the future or anything, but man he is a super valuable third back.
  • I'm over Saleh. I don't understand how you have largely the same personnel as last year but severely regress. It was annoying to see Thomas make plays in the backfield, then immediately go to the sideline for the next 3-5 plays. Why is Greg Mabin covering the #1 receiver on the final drive??? Why are our defenders never in a position to make an impact play? It feels like Saleh tries to outsmart the opposing offense, but in the end, he just outsmarts himself. He doesn't use his personnel well.
  • Beathard looked really good last night and that makes me happy. Beathard gets a lot of hate, but I was very happy to see him play well last night despite the game losing interception. 
  • Greg Mabin is not as bad as last night looked. Let's start off with the fact that he was responsible for covering Davante Adams on the final drive of the game. He barely played in the game prior to that drive. Saleh never adjusted after seeing him repeatedly get beat. Prior to this game, Mabin had one of the highest pass coverage grades for our DB's. 
  • Richie James looked really good returning kicks, I wish we would've got to see him on some quick slants and screens. He looks like he knows what to do with the ball in his hands.

The thing with Mabin covering Adams has to do with the fact we dont want to move Corners all over the place but instead choose to have them on the same side every play. Sherman has played his whole career on one side with the Seahawks. I believe Saleh once explained it is because the technique between left and right is slightly different because of where the sideline is and he wants them to be as comfortable as possible with the side they are playing on.

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

The thing with Mabin covering Adams has to do with the fact we dont want to move Corners all over the place but instead choose to have them on the same side every play. Sherman has played his whole career on one side with the Seahawks. I believe Saleh once explained it is because the technique between left and right is slightly different because of where the sideline is and he wants them to be as comfortable as possible with the side they are playing on.

That makes sense when you have elite corners. When you don't, that sounds like a field day for opposing offenses. It's like playing with one arm tied behind your back. If you put your 6th corner on the field and refuse to move him, then it only makes sense for the Packers to put their #1 on that side and let him feast. 

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Correct, but once Mabin was covering Adams in the slot and the next time down Sherman told him to cover the outside WR and he will take Adams. I want to see the formation the Packers ran on the last big play on the left sideline to see how Mabin ended up there. I'm guessing they once again put Adams in the slot as they knew Sherman would follow leading Mabin on the outside one on one. Then of course after that they put Adams on the outside on the other side and he abuses Mabin again lol. 

Corner is not a easy job. Once teams realize you are having a rough go, they will keep going after you. 

Either way, it is time to put Spoon back in next game. He is the corner that has a chance to have a legitimate future on the team. Let him go through growing pains and improve that way. 

35 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

That makes sense when you have elite corners. When you don't, that sounds like a field day for opposing offenses. It's like playing with one arm tied behind your back. If you put your 6th corner on the field and refuse to move him, then it only makes sense for the Packers to put their #1 on that side and let him feast. 

If a corner has a bad day it doesn't matter if he covers Adams or Valdes-Scantling the opposition will pick on him. Moving corners only make their jobs harder. And Mabin at this point isn't our 6th corner he is probably our 3rd. You can move your corners all over the field in the end you maybe take away their #1 but with a QB like Rodgers he will go after the weak spot and that doesn't change by moving.

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct, but once Mabin was covering Adams in the slot and the next time down Sherman told him to cover the outside WR and he will take Adams. I want to see the formation the Packers ran on the last big play on the left sideline to see how Mabin ended up there. I'm guessing they once again put Adams in the slot as they knew Sherman would follow leading Mabin on the outside one on one. Then of course after that they put Adams on the outside on the other side and he abuses Mabin again lol. 

Corner is not a easy job. Once teams realize you are having a rough go, they will keep going after you. 

Either way, it is time to put Spoon back in next game. He is the corner that has a chance to have a legitimate future on the team. Let him go through growing pains and improve that way. 

Only seen the game in 40 so haven't seen anything besides strictly the plays and there is no replays. And yeah corner is one of the hardest jobs on the football field cause even when you are playing it perfect you can still get beat on certain occassion. With Spoon i just want to see them play him let him get through his struggles. Last year he was good but a lot of that also had to do with how bad our other corner was. If they feel he was bothered by a injury then fine but at this point i just think they don't trust him in there.

42 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

If a corner has a bad day it doesn't matter if he covers Adams or Valdes-Scantling the opposition will pick on him. Moving corners only make their jobs harder. And Mabin at this point isn't our 6th corner he is probably our 3rd. You can move your corners all over the field in the end you maybe take away their #1 but with a QB like Rodgers he will go after the weak spot and that doesn't change by moving.

Only seen the game in 40 so haven't seen anything besides strictly the plays and there is no replays. And yeah corner is one of the hardest jobs on the football field cause even when you are playing it perfect you can still get beat on certain occassion. With Spoon i just want to see them play him let him get through his struggles. Last year he was good but a lot of that also had to do with how bad our other corner was. If they feel he was bothered by a injury then fine but at this point i just think they don't trust him in there.

No doubt, but I'd rather see our #1 corner matched up on their #1 WR. I'd take my chances on Valdes-Scantling against Mabin, rather than Adams against Mabin. I know that Valdes-Scantling had a pretty good game last night and Mabin did not. But if it's the final drive and I see Mabin getting beat up by Adams, I'm telling Sherman that he's on him until the game is over. I don't think Sherman would have an issue playing on the other side of the field to try and protect a win. 

Just an update on Sherman but through five games he has allowed 2 catches on 10 targets for 28 yards. And yesterday's catch really couldn't have been prevented since he was playing off 10 yards and it was a quick hitter.

Think Goff tests him more than other QBs have thus far. 

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

The thing is, were EXTREMELY young at CB so if either Ward or Sherm goes down, you playing a guy with little to no experience. For a QB like Rodgers and a OC like McCarthy, it was easy to isolate Mabin. Whether it was sending Adams in motion or sticking him in the slot, if your in man it's easy to find the weakest link and exploit it. They couldn't really do that when Ward was playing. For all of Ward's inconsistency, he was having a solid game last night. Though I still prefer him at FS at this point, he was looking like a competent starter while he was in there.

Just thinking about the game on Sunday, we are going to get slaughtered. The Rams lately have been in some tight games and not playing their best ball but that will change on Sunday. Our team will come out flat losing that Monday Night game and it will be a wrap by the end of the 1st.....quarter lol. 

Archived