#GDT - #1 Jags Defense vs. #8 Cowboys Defense

DaBoys

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Did we? It was 3rd and 1, we were in shotgun with our OL in pass set, and we run a read option like draw play that yes, got stuffed. But we didn't try to convert a short with a heavy set.

Do you have a gif/link to the play? I dont remember the OL playing pass pro but I could be wrong. 

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well we were in shotgun which almost always a pass set. But I'll look

Agreed, but not always. The idea of undercenter is the threat of pass. In that scenario we already didnt have that threat. So shotty creates the threat of which one (RB or QB) is running the ball. The OL can still play run blocking

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well we were in shotgun which almost always a pass set. But I'll look

Play was doomed from beginning.  We were in shotgun with Beasley in pistol formation with Zeke next to Dak.  First, nobody is scared of Beasley’s speed.  If it was Austin in pistol maybe it would get the defenses attention but not Beas.  The play should have been a fake to Zeke to get DE to crash with Dak and Austin running the option down the line out of that formation.

8 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Play was doomed from beginning.  We were in shotgun with Beasley in pistol formation with Zeke next to Dak.  First, nobody is scared of Beasley’s speed.  If it was Austin in pistol maybe it would get the defenses attention but not Beas.  The play should have been a fake to Zeke to get DE to crash with Dak and Austin running the option down the line out of that formation.

I get trying to spread them out, going shotgun, 3 wide, but BECAUSE they kept Beasley in the back with Dak/Zeke it brought an extra defender in the box, and were thus not spread out.

11 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The offensive line is in Pass Pro, we are 3 wide, and they have 8 in the box.

7:43 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000971766/Cowboys-vs-Texans-highlights-Week-5

Not pass pro. Look at the first step of every OL. Its forward. And if that doesnt sell you, look at Joe Looney. He is looking for a LB not to help on a DT. 

Not saying it is a good call. But that is 100% not pass protection. That is run blocking from a 2 point stance. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Not pass pro. Look at the first step of every OL. Its forward. And if that doesnt sell you, look at Joe Looney. He is looking for a LB not a to help on a DT. 

Not saying it is a good call. But that is 100% not pass protection. 

Pass set. Sorry. Two point stance, and opened up. Not hand in the dirt like our no nonsense 4th and 1 conversion yesterday 

34 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just to play devils advocate: 

The Texans game we showed we werent capable of short yardage conversions just the play before. So he didnt have faith in his team. He, most likely, told the team "you want me to go for it, you have to prove it to me. Next game, 4th and 1 we take that shot. Show me I can trust you"

I would think less of JG than I already do if this were his approach. Playing not to lose. Scared. If you fail, we're done trying. I don't get it. 

What if that game, determined there is no next game come week 17? 

For better or worse, this is Garrett's baby. The vast majority of players have come in under his watch. He preaches process....doing the little things...fighting to the end....then kills it all in one stupid move. At least that's how I view from the cheap seats. 

Just now, WizardHawk said:

I would think less of JG than I already do if this were his approach. Playing not to lose. Scared. If you fail, we're done trying. I don't get it. 

What if that game, determined there is no next game come week 17? 

For better or worse, this is Garrett's baby. The vast majority of players have come in under his watch. He preaches process....doing the little things...fighting to the end....then kills it all in one stupid move. At least that's how I view from the cheap seats. 

You are then completely disregarding our defense. Our HC job is to pick which unit has the best opportunity percentage wise to win the game. In his mind our offense was inept and our defense was lights out. I feel like some part of you deep down agrees with that idea. 

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Pass set. Sorry. Two point stance, and opened up. Not hand in the dirt like our no nonsense 4th and 1 conversion yesterday 

I agree. But again, as a counter point, that is a cutesy "creative" way to run the ball. Show pass concepts presnap, play run concepts post snaps. 

Obviously it failed. But just pointing out that it is a "wrinkle". 

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are then completely disregarding our defense. Our HC job is to pick which unit has the best opportunity percentage wise to win the game. In his mind our offense was inept and our defense was lights out. I feel like some part of you deep down agrees with that idea. 

To an extent I guess I agree. But to,\ that point the defense had also not found a way to stop the Houston offense between the 20s. Hadn't figured out how to contain Hopkins. had been on the field way more than the offense. Had given up nearly 500 yds. Minus some questionable goal line play calling from Houston, this probably isn't even a discussion. 

I'm thinking I'll take my chances of getting 1 damn yard 100% of the time over what the defense had done to that point and holding Houston again.. 

14 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I agree. But again, as a counter point, that is a cutesy "creative" way to run the ball. Show pass concepts presnap, play run concepts post snaps. 

Obviously it failed. But just pointing out that it is a "wrinkle". 

Certainly. And on 1st and 10, go for it. But 3rd and 1 with the game on the line, go to our biggest strength, which imo is being able to line up our big 5 OL and 2 or 3 TEs with our 230 pound 4th overall pick RB and grind out a yard.

I've see us get stuffed on a run but always one of those cute designs. I've never* seen us fail to get a yard in a heavy set. That's where we get that ~95% success rate. 

And if you do get stuffed on a cutesy design on 3rd and 1 at least TRY a power set on 4th. You punt and all they need is a FG. Our defense is good but, a fg can be kicked from a distance, and I trust our power run game to get 1 yard more than I trust the Texans to not kick another field goal. They should have at least got a shot to run right at them in a heavy set for 1 yard, and they didnt.

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

To an extent I guess I agree. But to,\ that point the defense had also not found a way to stop the Houston offense between the 20s. Hadn't figured out how to contain Hopkins. had been on the field way more than the offense. Had given up nearly 500 yds. Minus some questionable goal line play calling from Houston, this probably isn't even a discussion. 

I'm thinking I'll take my chances of getting 1 damn yard 100% of the time over what the defense had done to that point and holding Houston again.. 

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Certainly. And on 1st and 10, go for it. But 3rd and 1 with the game on the line go to our biggest strength, which imo is being able to line up our big 5 OL and 2 or 3 TEs with our 230 pound 4th overall pick RB and grind out a yard.

I've see us get stuffed on a run but always one of those cute designs. I've never* seen us fail to get a yard in a heavy set. That's where we get that ~95% success rate. 

And if you do get stuffed on a cutesy design on 3rd and 1 at least TRY a power set on 4th. You punt and all they need is a FG. Our defense is good but, a fg can be kicked from a distance, and I trust our power run game to get 1 yard more than I trust the Texans to not kick another field goal. They should have at least got a shot to run right at them in a heavy set for 1 yard, and they didnt.

Ive been saying for weeks that Dak is the best player in the NFL in short yardage situations. In 3 years he has a 100% conversion rate. So I agree with both of you that we should have gone with it. The difference is we should have let Dak run it on 3rd and QB sneak on 4th. 

Archived