Tom Brady gets his 200th regular season win

lancerman

On 10/26/2018 at 12:08 AM, lancerman said:

It's weird because we don't know how people are going to be viewed years from now. Like no offense but the only athlete from 50 years ago (so 70's) that we still consider the GOAT is Ali and that's debatable (most boxing fans will put Robinson or Louis in the same class). And a lot of that has to do with the health of that particular sport.  The last generation of GOATs had their peaks in the 80's/90's. Gretzky, Jordan, Montana. All in the same 15 year time period for the most part. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think it's telling that all the older guys (Howe, Unitas/Brown, Wilt) were just far enough out of memory for the current fans to kind of put them in the past as being a different era. I also think it's no coincidence that 20 years later Brady and Lebron started making their claim as more fans are coming in who didn't watch the last generation. 

In my opinion it's very cyclical. In 50 years someone like Jordan will be in the same position we view Wilt now. Yeah he did unreal things but it's such a different era and enough people weren't there that it almost doesn't get consideration. Brady's real advantage to me is that from an accolades perspective, it's going to be difficult for someone to surpass him. Stats in this sport aren't sacred like baseball and inflation has skewed it way too much. 

The accolades thing is a good point but at the same time, most people completely disregard any championships before the Superbowl. Hard to say if 50 years from now whether or not these Superbowls might also be disregarded.

19 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The accolades thing is a good point but at the same time, most people completely disregard any championships before the Superbowl. Hard to say if 50 years from now whether or not these Superbowls might also be disregarded.

I agree but at least it’s somryjing fixed and tangible. Passing stats will continue to inflate 

On 26/10/2018 at 12:08 AM, lancerman said:

In my opinion it's very cyclical. In 50 years someone like Jordan will be in the same position we view Wilt now. Yeah he did unreal things but it's such a different era and enough people weren't there that it almost doesn't get consideration. Brady's real advantage to me is that from an accolades perspective, it's going to be difficult for someone to surpass him. Stats in this sport aren't sacred like baseball and inflation has skewed it way too much. 

Im my opinion, the difference of play has changed drasitically between eras in BOTH basketball and football...not just basketball. I think that the football game today compared to what it will be in 50 years will have changed more than basketball will in 50 years due to the safety issues.

But yes, Bradys accolades are untouchable for atleast another 30+ years. It's gonna take an elite hall of fame QB along with a great hall of fame coach to atleast get close to it....just pure domination from 2001 to now, it's incredible.

Archived