Tom Brady gets his 200th regular season win

lancerman

1 minute ago, Malik said:

He was the face of baseball. It's going to be the exact same thing times 10 if LeBron announces his final season.

...and when Brady retires? Are you expecting a single byline across the ticker on ESPN? Or maybe a bit more, perhaps?

If LeBron is getting 10x the retirement coverage, Brady is getting 100x the coverage.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...and when Brady retires? Are you expecting a single byline across the ticker on ESPN? Or maybe a bit more, perhaps?

If LeBron is getting 10x the retirement coverage, Brady is getting 100x the coverage.

Brady is nowhere near the face of the league. No one in the NFL is the face of the league because the NFL doesn't market itself by players. No way in h*ll is Brady getting more coverage than LeBron. Millions of people who have never watched a single sporting event in their life could spot out LeBron. Tom Brady could be wearing his uniform and people who don't watch sports wouldn't recognize him.

8 minutes ago, Malik said:

Brady is nowhere near the face of the league. No one in the NFL is the face of the league because the NFL doesn't market itself by players. No way in h*ll is Brady getting more coverage than LeBron. Millions of people who have never watched a single sporting event in their life could spot out LeBron. Tom Brady could be wearing his uniform and people who don't watch sports wouldn't recognize him.

So, you think the six time Super Bowl winning QB, multiple league MVP, who is married to a world famous Victoria's Secret supermodel... isn't recognizable? 

Ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess. I've read some blatantly incorrect statements on this forum, and this is right up there.

10 minutes ago, Malik said:

What are you saying? Tom won't get any coverage when he retires or he won't get as much when Lebron does? Too different questions. I think he'll probably go out on top so not much coverage if it were to happen that way. As for Tom Brady not being the face of the league that couldn't be further from the truth. You can ask any person walking on the street and they'll name Brady before any other player.

20 minutes ago, Classic said:

What are you saying? Tom won't get any coverage when he retires or he won't get as much when Lebron does? Too different questions. I think he'll probably go out on top so not much coverage if it were to happen that way. As for Tom Brady not being the face of the league that couldn't be further from the truth. You can ask any person walking on the street and they'll name Brady before any other player.

He won't get as much as LeBron. Of course he'll get a lot. Peyton wasn't as good as Brady but still received a ton of attention. I wouldn't say he got anywhere near as much attention as Jeter though. Nike had an entire ad campaign dedicated to his final season.

So, you think the six time Super Bowl winning QB, multiple league MVP, who is married to a world famous Victoria's Secret supermodel... isn't recognizable? 

Ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess. I've read some blatantly incorrect statements on this forum, and this is right up there.

I think we live in vastly different cultural spheres. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

The super bowl gets seen by over 100 million fans each year and Tom has been to 8 of them not to mention he has been near at the top of Jersey sales for many years. Even if you don't follow the sport news stations still cover the super bowl. To say he is not recognizable is disingenuous at best. How he gets treated when he retires is another story, he might or might not make it all about himself and announce his up coming season as the last as many other players like Jeter have.

11 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

The super bowl gets seen by over 100 million fans each year and Tom has been to 8 of them not to mention he has been near at the top of Jersey sales for many years. Even if you don't follow the sport news stations still cover the super bowl. To say he is not recognizable is disingenuous at best. How he gets treated when he retires is another story, he might or might not make it all about himself and announce his up coming season as the last as many other players like Jeter have.

Not as recognizable as LeBron =/= unrecognizable. Not really a point in going back and forth on this because we live in vastly different cultural spheres where you think things are ubiquitous in yours are ubiquitous in everyone else's.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh, gotta disagree. I mean it will be nauseating for sure with Brady, but if we're judging how big the coverage is going to be based on how big the star is? LeBron is a much bigger star. Both nationally and especially worldwide. Brady is about as big of a star as the NFL has, but LeBron's celebrity is transcendent.

Just now, DannyB said:

Eh, gotta disagree. I mean it will be nauseating for sure with Brady, but if we're judging how big the coverage is going to be based on how big the star is? LeBron is a much bigger star. Both nationally and especially worldwide. Brady is about as big of a star as the NFL has, but LeBron's celebrity is transcendent.

I'd say that US based sports outlets such as ESPN and FOX Sports are going to launch into overdrive for this one. Maybe a TSN or Sky Sports will not give it much attention (this being said, he'll get more attention than any other NFL player retirement on these two networks) but the domestic outlets are going to go absolutely bonkers. 

Consider in context - before Brady became this object of scorn, he was literally the best Cinderella story since Kurt Warner. So not only do you have the accolades achieved, you have it from a guy who shouldn't have made it, all things considered. LeBron was "The Chosen One" his Sophomore year in HS, Jeter was the #6 pick out of HS - both of them were destined for greatness, identified early as exceptional talents and lived up to every single expectation set before him. Great stories in their own right, not denying that. Brady wasn't even considered better than guys like Giovanni Carmazzi, Tee Martin and Spergon Wynn - his path to this conversation came with equal parts unmatched work ethic, great coaching and sheer luck. 

You're only looking at half the glass of you're grading Brady on the SBs and records. There is an origin story here that local/domestic media outlets are going to be going CRAZY over once he's done.

2 hours ago, Malik said:

Millions of people who have never watched a single sporting event in their life could spot out LeBron. 

My girlfriend, who catches a couple Celtic playoff games and is nowhere near what I'd even call a "casual fan", thought his name was LeJohn James...

Doesn't make your statement incorrect...just a funny example.

3 hours ago, Malik said:

That has more to do with basketball being a more global sport. Brady and Lebron have similar appeal in America though. Brady is the biggest player in what is far and away the most popular league, the league blew up around the time he came to prominence, Brady was in 8 of the most watched events in this countries history as well as 4 other semi finalist games over a decade and a half (and no NBA Finals aren’t even close to a Super Bowl). In this country if Brady and Lebron butch announced their retirement they’d get similar coverage the next season. Maybe even moreso for Brady because his games when get flexed, there’s less of them, and they’d get more viewers by a massive amount.

You’re underselling how much people in this country know Brady. I have friends who  despise sports and they know who Brady is. The biggest difference is the global appeal of each sport. IE Lebron is bigger in Spain for instance because basketball is bigger there. But even there put Messi or Ronaldo next to Lebron and Lebron’s a non factor. 

The big thing is that football players get knocked out of the game more than they have a retirement season. It’s a much more brutal sport  and people tend to hang on until they can’t. Even like Ray Lewis who kinda had one, announced it towards the end of the season so it was more of a playoff storyline. It’s far more likely that a season ends and you get an announcement. Idk even know if Lebron will get what Kobe got because the Lakers were willing to put up with Kobe sucking to what a lot of people still believe was their detriment because he was the face of the franchise for years and was the most notable Laker since Magic retired. I don’t think anywhere but Cleveland would put a season on hold for a washed up Lebron. 

But yeah considering that football is a bigger sport nationally, yeah the networks are going to hype up a Brady last season as much or more than Lebron. Like Brady’s last regular season game would likely get flexed to prime time and outdo every game Lebron plays that year. 

I would say LeBron and Brady would get the same amount of coverage if both did a farewell tour season...the guy saying that Brady will get 100x more coverage is completely wrong...Brady IS the face of the NFL though, there is no denying that.

Archived