Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

44 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just look at the way Rodgers throws to backs.  He's awful at it.  Truly awful.  He throws it to them late with no touch whatsoever.  It's not a lack of talent there either.  Can't convince me Ty Montgomery wasn't capable of being one of the better receiving backs in the NFL, and yet he was completely neglected. 

McCarthy probably would have a second Super Bowl by now with Brees. 

I'm not saying Rodgers doesn't have his faults, but when was the last time that Rodgers had a back who was a receiver who was half as good as Alvin Kamara?  We've never had a back who was even half as talented as Kamara.  But back to Rodgers, he has his faults.  I don't think anyone would deny that.  He doesn't throw to the open receiver consistently, he refuses to use his checkdown back, and his footwork/fundamentals are sloppy but he gets away with it.

41 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Seriously stop. It's ridiculous if you don't think coaches scheme players into games and chart their targets. I was apart of an NCAA coaching staff, if one of our studs was low on targets, we schemed up a slant, a screen, jet sweep, something to get him the ball. Davante should see double digit targets every game. Graham too if Cobb and Allison are out. If you think Aaron controls the entire offense then there is even more support to fire Mac.

Who are you taking attempts away from?  And it's clearly not the same design in Green Bay.  Even Greg Jennings brought it up when they talked about how all of Green Bay's WRs are supposed to be able to play any of the positions.  Of Rodgers' 28 attempts, 19 of them (68%) of them went to Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Aaron Jones.  If you want more attempts for Adams, you either need to play at a higher pace or abandon the running game.  You think there are other solutions?

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm not saying Rodgers doesn't have his faults, but when was the last time that Rodgers had a back who was a receiver who was half as good as Alvin Kamara?  We've never had a back who was even half as talented as Kamara.  But back to Rodgers, he has his faults.  I don't think anyone would deny that.  He doesn't throw to the open receiver consistently, he refuses to use his checkdown back, and his footwork/fundamentals are sloppy but he gets away with it.

Pretty sure Ty Montgomery could have been just as effective as a receiving back as Kamara. 

Evidence: Montgomery had 20 receptions for 166 yards as a running back in 2016 in two games. 

Inexplicably, he had only 22 the rest of that season.  Kamara has had two 10 or more reception games in his career so far. 

Montgomery had the ability to be a serious weapon in Green Bay.  Rodgers didn't use that because Rodgers is probably the worst QB in the league at throwing to running backs.  That's not hyperbole, either.  He really is awful at it.  Not only in his refusal to do it, but his touch when he does do it. 

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It really does when you're up 24 then 31 points in a game against a hapless offense and you've got aspirations for reaching the playoffs.  More targets for receivers = more experience. 

MVS had 7 targets. But Rodgers should just keep chucking it his way I guess for the learning experience xD

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pretty sure Ty Montgomery could have been just as effective as a receiving back as Kamara. 

Evidence: Montgomery had 20 receptions for 166 yards as a running back in 2016 in two games. 

Inexplicably, he had only 22 the rest of that season.  Kamara has had two 10 or more reception games in his career so far. 

Montgomery had the ability to be a serious weapon in Green Bay.  Rodgers didn't use that because Rodgers is probably the worst QB in the league at throwing to running backs.  That's not hyperbole, either.  He really is awful at it.  Not only in his refusal to do it, but his touch when he does do it. 

What in God's green earth has Ty Montgomery done that makes you believe that?  He's a mediocre player.

2 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

MVS had 7 targets. But Rodgers should just keep chucking it his way I guess for the learning experience xD

That's not the argument I think PR is making.  It'd be one thing if guys like Lance Kendricks, Jamaal Williams, and Trevor Davis were getting a larger number of attempts.  But they aren't.

Just now, CWood21 said:

What in God's green earth has Ty Montgomery done that makes you believe that?  He's a mediocre player.

I just showed you what he did.  Montgomery was a receiver converted to RB.  What makes you believe he wasn't capable of being a better receiving back than Rodgers let him be?  20 receptions in two games is pretty good you know. 

6 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

The guy who needs more connection with Rodgers if we intend to be successful later this season is EQ.

Again, why on earth would you need target Adams more in a game like yesterday?  Pad his stats?  Get him hit more often and banged up on a short week?  

You don't get a second win out of that game if you score more points.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I just showed you what he did.  Montgomery was a receiver converted to RB.  What makes you believe he wasn't capable of being a better receiving back than Rodgers let him be?  20 receptions in two games is pretty good you know. 

Kamara is currently 13th in rushing yards and 3rd in receiving yards amongst RBs.  You think Ty Montgomery has that kind of success?  Hell no.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not the argument I think PR is making.  It'd be one thing if guys like Lance Kendricks, Jamaal Williams, and Trevor Davis were getting a larger number of attempts.  But they aren't.

I replied to Outpost which looking back seems to be quite a mistake. The guy is over here arguing that Ty is as good of a receiving back as Kamara.. It was a losing battle before it started O.o

Just now, CWood21 said:

Kamara is currently 13th in rushing yards and 3rd in receiving yards amongst RBs.  You think Ty Montgomery has that kind of success?  Hell no.

I never said Montgomery could ever have been as good as a running back.  Receiving back, I think yes. 

Let me ask you this... If the roles were switched.  If Kamara was here last year and Montgomery was with the Saints, who do you think would have had the most receptions at the end of the year? 

EDIT: Before you respond, Travaris Cadet had 40 receptions with the Saints in 2016.  Tim Hightower had 22.  Mark Ingram had 46.

That's 108 receptions for the Saints running backs in the year before Kamara arrived. 

Tell me you see my point. 

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The guy who needs more connection with Rodgers if we intend to be successful later this season is EQ.

Again, why on earth would you need target Adams more in a game like yesterday?  Pad his stats?  Get him hit more often and banged up on a short week?  

You don't get a second win out of that game if you score more points.

The Packers entered the 2nd half with a 5 point lead. On the 1st Drive both MVS and Adams had 1 target each. - Ended in a blocked punt 

2nd Drive - Both have 1 target each - Jones scores a rushing TD - 21-12 GB

3rd Drive - Adams 1 target and 1 receiving TD - 28-12 GB

4th Drive (last true drive) - 11 plays, 3 targets for Adams, 1 for MVS. Crosby hits the FG, 31-12 GB 

We really tried padding Adams stats on that final drive with 3 passes to him over 11 plays. Think of all the young guys who could have built a great connection with Rodgers on those 3 passing attempts that may have gotten Davante killed. Whew! 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I never said Montgomery could ever have been as good as a running back.  Receiving back, I think yes. 

Let me ask you this... If the roles were switched.  If Kamara was here last year and Montgomery was with the Saints, who do you think would have had the most receptions at the end of the year? 

So he's a niche back is what you're telling me?  In Ty's best season (2016), he had had 44 receptions, 348 receiving yards, and 0 TD receptions on 56 targets.  Though 9 games this year, Kamara has 55 receptions, 473 receiving yards, and 3 TD receptions.  Kamara in 9 games outproduced what Ty Montgomery did in 15 games.  And to answer your question, I don't know.  I'd probably say Kamara.  But the reality is the Packers have never had an elite pass catcher at RB since McCarthy/Rodgers began.

1 minute ago, Tartarus said:

The Packers entered the 2nd half with a 5 point lead. On the 1st Drive both MVS and Adams had 1 target each. - Ended in a blocked punt 

2nd Drive - Both have 1 target each - Jones scores a rushing TD - 21-12 GB

3rd Drive - Adams 1 target and 1 receiving TD - 28-12 GB

4th Drive (last true drive) - 11 plays, 3 targets for Adams, 1 for MVS. Crosby hits the FG, 31-12 GB 

We really tried padding Adams stats on that final drive with 3 passes to him over 11 plays. Think of all the young guys who could have built a great connection with Rodgers on those 3 passing attempts that may have gotten Davante killed. Whew! 

You still are not answering the question.  This whole part of the thread is based off the comment that Adams should have had more targets yesterday.

The question has been, and still is, why would should Adams have gotten more targets yesterday?  My contention is he shouldn't have.  All you are doing is throwing thoughtless snark without any analysis.

Answer the question you have been asked, now for the third time.  I am waiting.

Archived