Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Giants4eva

Looking to the future draft.. (yes already)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Yes really, as you said he picked 9th. If he picked 2nd instead of 9th I am sure the players he picked would have been different.

oh please stop with the semantics, top 10 is high enough. Explain to me why then if drafting was so easy at the top of the round why it took all those years for Cleveland to get it right

 

Edited by Giants4eva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

oh please stop with the semantics, top 10 is high enough. Explain to me why then if drafting was so easy at the top of the round why it took all those years for Cleveland to get it right

 

Who says Cleveland got it right? If you believe picking with the 9th pick in the draft is just as good as picking with the 2nd pick in the draft then there is nothing more that needs to be said on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Who says Cleveland got it right? If you believe picking with the 9th pick in the draft is just as good as picking with the 2nd pick in the draft then there is nothing more that needs to be said on this. 

This is a really poor argument. Reese didn't fail by taking average players with high picks. He drafted absolute busts with high picks. Obviously his drafts would look different if he was picking in a different spot, because that's the case for everyone. Reese didn't get what we needed out of his picks in his last few drafts at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

This is a really poor argument. Reese didn't fail by taking average players with high picks. He drafted absolute busts with high picks. Obviously his drafts would look different if he was picking in a different spot, because that's the case for everyone. Reese didn't get what we needed out of his picks in his last few drafts at all.

Looking at his last couple of draft, I don't believe Engram, Tomlinson, Eli Apple or Sterling Shepard are bust.

 And your making my point for me, yes most GM should have a different if not better draft if they are picking at 2 instead of 9. Yes Gettleman got us some talented players from this draft , most GM's would have gotten us some talented player given where we picked. Odds are they are going to have a top 5 draft picks next year, so yes he is going to get us more talented players next year just like most any GM would picking in that position. 

Do I trust him to find our next QB, no. If he had an eye for a QB  he would have taken Sam Darnold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

 

Do I trust him to find our next QB, no. If he had an eye for a QB  he would have taken Sam Darnold.

Let me change that to I don't have complete faith in Gettleman to find our next QB as if he is some draft guru that others seem to believe he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Let me change that to I don't have complete faith in Gettleman to find our next QB as if he is some draft guru that others seem to believe he is.

Well see how well he gauges a QB. Because come next draft that is what he is going after. I don't feel this statement holds any kind of water because they made it very clear before the draft they were happy with Eli and wanted to give him a chance to prove his worth to the new coaching staff that he still had ability to play at a high level. Obviously that has not worked. There was never a chance they were taking a QB when they were openly honest about what the intentions were before they even went into this past draft. I trust in his ability to ID talent because i cant argue at all with his 1st draft for our team. Barkley, Hernandez, Carter and Hill are all proving that Gettleman is viable enough to identify who can play and who cant. To hit on 4/6 and a potential for 5 or 6/6 is A+ for me. Unlike Jerry Reese who took players with high ceilings versus the guy who could flat out play and play right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Well see how well he gauges a QB. Because come next draft that is what he is going after. I don't feel this statement holds any kind of water because they made it very clear before the draft they were happy with Eli and wanted to give him a chance to prove his worth to the new coaching staff that he still had ability to play at a high level. Obviously that has not worked. There was never a chance they were taking a QB when they were openly honest about what the intentions were before they even went into this past draft. I trust in his ability to ID talent because i cant argue at all with his 1st draft for our team. Barkley, Hernandez, Carter and Hill are all proving that Gettleman is viable enough to identify who can play and who cant. To hit on 4/6 and a potential for 5 or 6/6 is A+ for me. Unlike Jerry Reese who took players with high ceilings versus the guy who could flat out play and play right now. 

 

We already saw how he gauges  the QB. If it was easy to get a franchise QB then many NFL teams would not have struggled in getting one.  Will the Giants have the #1 QB fall in their laps once again. Who knows, they should have taken the franchise QB this year when he was there for them.

If you are going to base everything off of their first draft then compare Reese first draft in  2007 to Gettleman current draft, looked where they picked and say who did the better job.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sup fellas? Happy to be back B|

I think that the Giants should just draft the best players they can (God knows they have enough needs). I think Teddy duking it out with Lauletta would be enough to get decent production out of QB, and if that doesn't work out, the 2020 draft should have some good QBs. The Giants have to get back to beating up people in the trenches, and for as bad as things are now, I feel a lot better with Gettleman running the draft room. Our ownership is good and I still think Shurmur will prove to be a good coach. Just gonna have to take this year on the chin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 9:40 PM, Go_Giants said:

 

We already saw how he gauges  the QB. If it was easy to get a franchise QB then many NFL teams would not have struggled in getting one.  Will the Giants have the #1 QB fall in their laps once again. Who knows, they should have taken the franchise QB this year when he was there for them.

If you are going to base everything off of their first draft then compare Reese first draft in  2007 to Gettleman current draft, looked where they picked and say who did the better job.

 

We got an average DB, an above average WR for 3 seasons, a TE that I don't believe made it past his rookie contract, a long snapper in the fourth round (who was originally drafted to play ILB but Coughlin used him as LS instead at least recouping some value, and a RB who had two 1000 yard seasons. We hit on three guys, and salvaged some value from the fourth. 

The return in year 1 is already more positive than the one from the '07 draft in their first year as well. Eli also made two of those guys look a lot better than they were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

We got an average DB, an above average WR for 3 seasons, a TE that I don't believe made it past his rookie contract, a long snapper in the fourth round (who was originally drafted to play ILB but Coughlin used him as LS instead at least recouping some value, and a RB who had two 1000 yard seasons. We hit on three guys, and salvaged some value from the fourth. 

The return in year 1 is already more positive than the one from the '07 draft in their first year as well. Eli also made two of those guys look a lot better than they were. 

Are you ignoring the main point I was making on purpose, or are simply not old enough to remember the 2007 Giants? If the latter then I can see where you are coming from with your comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude after yesterdays game against the Redskins, I would trade Manning for a ham sandwich at this point. To say he was awful is an understatement. Even my gf whom was watching the game with me she said well.. he's had time sometimes and he's throwing into crowds of ppl. That's pretty bad considering she doesn't watch football. He is completely shot. I would trade him , Evan Engram and even Janoris Jenkins. I'm sickened at the state of how this team looks right now. We need to go after at least 1 or 2 stud offensive lineman in FA this offseason and draft at least 1 with multiple defensive picks behind him as well. Whether it be EDGE, CB, or LB. We are so bad right now I was almost remembering that days of Dave Brown and Danny Kanell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 7:34 PM, Go_Giants said:

Are you ignoring the main point I was making on purpose, or are simply not old enough to remember the 2007 Giants? If the latter then I can see where you are coming from with your comments.

How am I ignoring your comment. If you knew anything about the '07 draft class you could tell exactly every player was by the description I gave of each of them. Which if I'm not mistaken, you asked to compare the two drafts. 

A class that featured Steve Smith (who i take back what I said about having 3 good years, he only had 1). A TE, Kevin Boss, who did not make it past his rookie contract because he was JAG that Eli made look top flight (see his time in Oakland if you need a reminder) and he was pretty injury prone as well. A player he, Jerry Reese, drafted to play Linebacker, Zac DeOssie, who was not good and only salvaged his career cause he's a good long snapper. A first round corner, Aaron Ross, who was good for one playoff run, and rode that to two new contracts. A running back, Ahmad Bradshaw, that was crucial to our superbowl run (besides not taking into the account is he was in a committee with one of the best O-Line's in football at the time) but had a total of two 1000+ yards rushing behind good O-Lines. (He never again replicated the 4.5YPC he had in his limited touches his rookie year). 

Also, I never said that finding a franchise QB is easy, but its even harder to create a good football when you waste picks on average to bad players. Ask Jerry Reese, or every Browns GM in the past two decades. 

This was a very bad draft class. We got four starters from it, yes, but they were all average to bad starters. Compared to last years class we have four players already contributing more than those players above. 

Are you simply too old to remember anything clearly, or has dementia taken its hold on you? Or are you so upset we didn't take Sam Darnold who has stuggled against every team he's played, except two of the worst pass defenses in the NFL, Colts & Lions? Take those two games out he has a sub 50% (49.2%), plus outside of those two games he has a 7:9 TD:INT ratio. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marc Ross was on GMFB and came across as a total a-hole. He is a huge reason the team is as bad as it right now and the guy took no responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Marc Ross was on GMFB and came across as a total a-hole. He is a huge reason the team is as bad as it right now and the guy took no responsibility.

Hes still butt hurt over not becoming the GM after Reese got canned. He was Reeses gopher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×