Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Giants4eva

Looking to the future draft.. (yes already)

Recommended Posts

Obviously to me at 1-5 .. this seasons a wash and Manning I don't see being our guy come next yr. Or maybe even not even at the end of this season.  I'm all for seeing what Lauletta has but lets be real, if we end up with the #1 overall pick I cannot see us at all going for anything but a quarterback. I think a few guys whom stand out so far in college football for our next QB are as follows …

1- Justin Herbert  / Oregon

2- Drew Lock / Mizzou

3** (the potential top QB after the combine) Daniel Jones / Duke...

In my opinion, of all 3, I have to think as of now that Herbert or Jones is the next QB of the Gmen. After reading that Jones's coach was the same man whom worked with Peyton and Eli, I could easily see us going with him. His ability to extend plays and his natural size and arm strength are excellent. The thing that makes me teter torwards Herbert is 1- cannon for an arm , 2- ability to fit into tight windows. Plus I also thinks he reminds me of a Ben Roethlisberger type with his size.

What u guys think ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Giants4eva I have only begun to read about next April's prospects, but you are right, there is this one consolation during a bad season- the team will almost surely end up with a very high pick, and it's a lot of fun, for months, sharing information and opinions on whom they should draft. The weeks leading up to the last draft, with the endless Darnold-Saquon-Josh This-Josh That- Trade Down wrangles, were pretty exciting (and, right now, it looks like they hit the ball out of the park with their eventual first-round choice).

As best as I can tell this is not an especially good quarterback crop, although as doubtless you know, every year players emerge during the college season, and even afterward, with all the scrutiny and scouting, Combines and Pro Days. Perhaps some QB will separate himself in the process, the way Baker Mayfield kept rising in status right up until he was taken first over-all by Cleveland.

Welcome to the Forum. Good to get a new perspective on here. Maybe some of the posters more versed in the college prospects than me will have some ideas. I have seen that Drew Lock panned pretty hard (comparisons to Blaine Gabbert are a little scary), and even question marks raised about the consensus top guy, Herbert. I agree whole-heartedly that the Giants virtually must get a QB, especially if they have the #1 pick. Saquon was a great pick, but how about that long-missing mobile quarterback?

Image result for daniel jones duke nfl

 

Edited by bzane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather pass on the until the rest of our roster is decent. Our O-Line is terri-bad, we have zero pass rush to speak of, we are super inconsistent in covering the middle half of the field, and we can't score in the redzone to save our lives. 

We are bad, and QB is the most important position on the field; however, putting a rookie behind our Line is a cry for disaster considering how much work each of the top prospects need before they are even viable starters. If we decide to pick one of these guys in 2019, I feel like we're looking for another one by 2021/2022. The group reminds me of the Christian Ponder-led class from a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

I'd rather pass on the until the rest of our roster is decent. Our O-Line is terri-bad, we have zero pass rush to speak of, we are super inconsistent in covering the middle half of the field, and we can't score in the redzone to save our lives. 

We are bad, and QB is the most important position on the field; however, putting a rookie behind our Line is a cry for disaster considering how much work each of the top prospects need before they are even viable starters. If we decide to pick one of these guys in 2019, I feel like we're looking for another one by 2021/2022. The group reminds me of the Christian Ponder-led class from a few years ago. 

Absolutely to put a rookie behind our line is case for a career ending before it starts type prospect. But if u ask me, I think Dave Gettleman will do a good job of recognizing the fact we need more olineman. I think with our second pick he's gonna go after the "the best of whats left" either at RG or ROT. I have faith in him for doing the job at GM. I really think he hit a homerun with his 1st draft on our squad. I know our record doesn't speak to that but when u look at  Saquon, Will, BJ Hill, Lorenzo Carter and even potentially a decent QB (from what we saw in preseason) Lauletta… I think DG really has a way better grasp of who can play and who cant. All drafts are loaded with plenty of beef to play up front on the offense. This next one will not be an exception. If he slides into the 2nd rd id be all for Dalton Risner from Kansas or Piercshbacher from Wisconsin.

As far as whom lines up under center next yr.. Hey, if we draft well enough to tighten up the oline.. Let the kid play, who ever he may be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bzane said:

@Giants4eva I have only begun to read about next April's prospects, but you are right, there is this one consolation during a bad season- the team will almost surely end up with a very high pick, and it's a lot of fun, for months, sharing information and opinions on whom they should draft. The weeks leading up to the last draft, with the endless Darnold-Saquon-Josh This-Josh That- Trade Down wrangles, were pretty exciting (and, right now, it looks like they hit the ball out of the park with their eventual first-round choice).

As best as I can tell this is not an especially good quarterback crop, although as doubtless you know, every year players emerge during the college season, and even afterward, with all the scrutiny and scouting, Combines and Pro Days. Perhaps some QB will separate himself in the process, the way Baker Mayfield kept rising in status right up until he was taken first over-all by Cleveland.

Welcome to the Forum. Good to get a new perspective on here. Maybe some of the posters more versed in the college prospects than me will have some ideas. I have seen that Drew Lock panned pretty hard (comparisons to Blaine Gabbert are a little scary), and even question marks raised about the consensus top guy, Herbert. I agree whole-heartedly that the Giants virtually must get a QB, especially if they have the #1 pick. Saquon was a great pick, but how about that long-missing mobile quarterback?

Image result for daniel jones duke nfl

 

Ya Dan Jones I see in that picture. Its a strong possibility with him. I mentioned him as my 3rd possibility on the post. Kid can play and can definitely add another dimension to our team. If DG thinks he's the right one to go with and the guy they fall in love with, im all for it. The way I see things right now this early before the draft, its shaping up to be Herbert, Lock or Jones as our next signal caller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Daniel Jones's collar bone is somehow permanently ruined and Herbert doesn't declare, the pick has to be QB. Early indications from me is those 2 are franchise guys. I'd take them both over Darnold. The OL is 5 positions. It is extremely hard to find 5 solid instant starters in FA and the draft in general, much less across one positional group. We solidified the left side of the line with Solder and Hernandez this past year. Hopefully we can do the same with the right side next year. If Herbert doesn't declare and Jones implodes, I'm not sure any other QBs are worth as high of a pick as we will be holding. I don't like Lock and he doesn't fit Shurmur's offense. I like Grier and a few others, but not with a top-5 pick. Shurmur and Stick may be worth a middle round flyer. If we don't have a shot at Herbert or Jones or they prove themselves unworthy of a high pick, take Bosa or Oliver and call it a day. They are unbelievable defensive talents- "gold jacket" guys that Gettleman likes. And we know Gettleman subscribes to the "you can never have too many pass rushers" philosophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also can I just say I absolutely hate talking about the draft in October. It is the worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, minutemancl said:

Also can I just say I absolutely hate talking about the draft in October. It is the worst.

Same. But hey, at this point we are 1-5 and almost as dysfunctional as the Raiders. I trust in DG that he will pick the right QB for us for the future. I really cant argue at all with his first draft. Think he gave us some legit talent for the future in Barkley, Hill, Carter, Hernandez and possibly Lauletta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Same. But hey, at this point we are 1-5 and almost as dysfunctional as the Raiders. I trust in DG that he will pick the right QB for us for the future. I really cant argue at all with his first draft. Think he gave us some legit talent for the future in Barkley, Hill, Carter, Hernandez and possibly Lauletta

When your picking 2nd in every round it pretty hard not to come away with a good draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Go_Giants said:

When your picking 2nd in every round it pretty hard not to come away with a good draft.

Really ? Jerry Reese picked 9th in every round in the 2015 draft and bombed royally (1st Ereck Flowers) with one exception in Landon Collins. So no its not easy to draft even at the top of a round. U have to be able to ID talent.

 

Edited by Giants4eva
misprint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You're going to trade for Carr and you're going to like it. Got it?

Wow you guys are already giving up on him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You're going to trade for Carr and you're going to like it. Got it?

Um Id worry more about the 2nd coming of Chip Kelly (Jon Gruden) than Derek Carr's play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You're going to trade for Carr and you're going to like it. Got it?

Please, please, I know you're being facetious, but you'll break The Mellow One's heart! He is still holding out hope that- someday!- the Giants will reacquire GENO SMITH, despite his no-blip-on-the-radar performance for the Chargers, and that the Golden Dream of Geno leading the Giants back to the heights can live again!!

-And I know that he is reading this, because The Mellow One has apparently been monitoring my activities lately. How exciting! To have one's own stalker! 

Geno..... Derek Carr....... Sam Bradford- surely there somewhere exists among mediocre quarterbacks The Expected One sent by the gods to return the wandering sheep that are the Giants back to Glory!!

Image result for geno smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, Giants4eva said:

Really ? Jerry Reese picked 9th in every round in the 2015 draft and bombed royally (1st Ereck Flowers) with one exception in Landon Collins. So no its not easy to draft even at the top of a round. U have to be able to ID talent.

 

Yes really, as you said he picked 9th. If he picked 2nd instead of 9th I am sure the players he picked would have been different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×