Week 7 GDT - Titans @? Chargers

dtait93

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

This could get ugly...like uglier than Baltimore ugly.

I agree... but then I think Mariota has that bounce back game and has us all eating from his hand again.  And then I see our options in the pass game, and I think this is gonna get ugly quick. 

Our defense has been good, but the Chargers' offense is freaking good... severely underrated.  Rivers may be the most underrated QB the past 20 years.  But the Chargers D is pedestrian... at least on paper... middle of the pack in nearly every category... so while not a bad defense, we get a break from the good defenses we've been facing this past month. 

Ugh... I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, cuz I think we can hang... but we'll probably get beaten... and a good shot they beat us badly at that.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I agree... but then I think Mariota has that bounce back game and has us all eating from his hand again.  And then I see our options in the pass game, and I think this is gonna get ugly quick. 

Our defense has been good, but the Chargers' offense is freaking good... severely underrated.  Rivers may be the most underrated QB the past 20 years.  But the Chargers D is pedestrian... at least on paper... middle of the pack in nearly every category... so while not a bad defense, we get a break from the good defenses we've been facing this past month. 

Ugh... I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, cuz I think we can hang... but we'll probably get beaten... and a good shot they beat us badly at that.

I think because it's in London with wacky things seemingly happening all the time over there and considering the 3 games we've won have come when we weren't given a shot, it gives us a glimmer of hope that we can pull it out. But off the heels of last weeks performance and the fact that we can never beat Rivers and the Chargers, it just feels a lot more bleak going in to this one than the other games we've won besides maybe Houston.

My thought is our D mostly plays great but makes a few mistakes so it doesn’t matter as much who were playing per say si our D will give up its normal 15-24 points a little higher then average.  But sense were playing a weaker D our O cam keep up and do it’s thing at the end to win a close game

As tough as these last 2 games have been, it’s still amazing that we’re sitting here at 3-3...atop the division.

If we really think about it, what do we even do well? What kind of identity do we have that we can hang our hats on? Atleast last year we could bank on not allowing consistent big plays through the air and stopping the run even if everything else was failing.

This year though? We can’t pass, we can’t run, we can’t stop the run, and we give up consistent big plays through the air unless it’s against easy competition like Allen and Borloltles.

So again yeah, the last 2 weeks have been atrocious but we should still feel fortunate to be sitting at 3-3 with a chance at 4-3 heading in to the bye. If we were told about everything that was gonna happen before the season started (which I won’t list out again because we all know what those things are and have talked about it ad nauseum) how many of us would happily take a 3-3, 1st place lead in the division start? Hell, with everything that’s happened, I don’t even think that if we lose on Sunday and are 3-4 heading in to the bye you can call it a bad start *record wise*.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

As tough as these last 2 games have been, it’s still amazing that we’re sitting here at 3-3...atop the division.

If we really think about it, what do we even do well? What kind of identity do we have that we can hang our hats on? Atleast last year we could bank on not allowing consistent big plays through the air and stopping the run even if everything else was failing.

This year though? We can’t pass, we can’t run, we can’t stop the run, and we give up consistent big plays through the air unless it’s against easy competition like Allen and Borloltles.

So again yeah, the last 2 weeks have been atrocious but we should still feel fortunate to be sitting at 3-3 with a chance at 4-3 heading in to the bye. If we were told about everything that was gonna happen before the season started (which I won’t list out again because we all know what those things are and have talked about it ad nauseum) how many of us would happily take a 3-3, 1st place lead in the division start? Hell, with everything that’s happened, I don’t even think that if we lose on Sunday and are 3-4 heading in to the bye you can call it a bad start *record wise*.

People really need to lay off the defense. It's 3rd in points and 8th in yards allowed. It plays well, and is the one thing(well I guess we're good at kicking and punting too) the team does well.

The day people realize that the NFL is literally set up to allow offenses to gain big plays/yards and the defense is never going to stop all of them will be a good day.

Yeah... we knew with Pees coming in, the defense was going to be bend but don't break.  I know people have gotten on Butler, but his coverage hasn't been bad.  I'm confident the stats against will even out in the end... 

Going to the defense as a while... this kinda defense usually predicates itself on capitalizing on mistakes... so the low TO's so far are what have been surprising and underwhelming.  Our pass rush has been horrid the last 2 weeks, getting only 1 sack combined.  The 3rd down defense went to crap last week too... but what didn't?  I think we're going to look back at this Baltimore game as our 2017 Houston game where everything went wrong. 

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

People really need to lay off the defense. It's 3rd in points and 8th in yards allowed. It plays well, and is the one thing(well I guess we're good at kicking and punting too) the team does well.

The day people realize that the NFL is literally set up to allow offenses to gain big plays/yards and the defense is never going to stop all of them will be a good day.

True. Guess I was too harsh. However, going from allowing 3.6 to 4.2 ypc and the inability to get to the QB have been notable differences.

I did some more digging as well. We are tied for 5th in 40+ yard plays allowed (2) and are 6th in 20+ yard plays allowed (16) so my analysis was definitely off there. In comparison to 2017 we were tied for 10th in 40+ yard plays allowed (7) and were tied for 3rd in 20+ yard plays allowed (37). So yeah not much has changed in that regard. It just seems the deep balls given up by Butler have been magnified since they are easy plays to point back to.

Archived