Where do you rank the Chargers in the AFC

Blackstar12

I think Lynn has done a great job - there are clear signs of improvement. Since our 0-4 start last year (which would have been 2-2 if we had a kicker), we are 14-5.

I don't think we're one of the top 5 teams or anything yet.. But as long as we keep getting the wins we should, we are in with a real chance. 

I'm thinking an 11-5 record at this stage looks likely, sucks that we'll probably have to settle for a wildcard with KC going 12-4 or 13-3.

4 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

2nd behind KC

Nah, the Pats are still better then the Chargers.

Offensively, I think the Chargers would have no problems moving the ball on NE. Their team speed on offense is too much. On the flip side, I think Brady wrecks the Bolts defense. The Chargers don't have much of an interior pass-rush and you need that if you are going to slow down Brady. If they play in the post-season, it feels like a game where the Chargers just can't get off the field on third down and Rivers just doesn't get enough possessions to keep up. 

On top of that, the Bolts special team unit is still below average and that has always come to bite them in the *** when they play NE. 

33 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Nah, the Pats are still better then the Chargers.

Offensively, I think the Chargers would have no problems moving the ball on NE. Their team speed on offense is too much. On the flip side, I think Brady wrecks the Bolts defense. The Chargers don't have much of an interior pass-rush and you need that if you are going to slow down Brady. If they play in the post-season, it feels like a game where the Chargers just can't get off the field on third down and Rivers just doesn't get enough possessions to keep up. 

On top of that, the Bolts special team unit is still below average and that has always come to bite them in the *** when they play NE. 

Philon has actually done a pretty good job so far of getting pressure up the middle.

He's no Aaron Donald, but he's definitely become a solid interior pass rusher.

I think after today the Chargers have solidified themselves as a solid #3 in the AFC.

I think the Chargers are more balanced than either the Chiefs or Patriots though.

44 minutes ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

I think Lynn has done a great job - there are clear signs of improvement. Since our 0-4 start last year (which would have been 2-2 if we had a kicker), we are 14-5.

I don't think we're one of the top 5 teams or anything yet.. But as long as we keep getting the wins we should, we are in with a real chance. 

I'm thinking an 11-5 record at this stage looks likely, sucks that we'll probably have to settle for a wildcard with KC going 12-4 or 13-3.

I think I would actually put us at #5 right now.

I think the clear top 4 in the league right now is:

1) Rams

2) Chiefs

3) Patriots

4) Saints

I think after these teams we are the next best. The competition for 5th best would be between us, Baltimore and Carolina. Baltimore lost today and I think we are a better team than the Panthers.

So yeah I would say we are top 5 in the league, actually.

In the 3 to 5 range. Chiefs and Pats on tier 1, then you got the Chargers, Steelers and Ravens in the next tier. I'll give them the nod over Ravens and Steelers due to simply better record, and their only losses coming to the 2 best teams in the NFL (granted neither of which were particularly "graceful" losses, they were out of it by the 4th quarter in both games)... Although at the same time, 3 of their 5 wins are against bottom 5 teams (Raiders, Bills, 49ers). Just not quite sold on them yet, same goes for Ravens and Steelers. I'll go ahead and say they are indeed the 3rd best, especially with Bosa returning, and will manage 10 or 11 wins, meaning a 5-4 or 6-3 finish to their pretty tough remaining schedule that includes at Seahawks, at Chiefs, Ravens, at Steelers and Broncos x2 (always tough game for both teams)... but I would hardly be shocked to see them miss the playoffs and go 8-8.

23 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

In the 3 to 5 range. Chiefs and Pats on tier 1, then you got the Chargers, Steelers and Ravens in the next tier. I'll give them the nod over Ravens and Steelers due to simply better record, and their only losses coming to the 2 best teams in the NFL (granted neither of which were particularly "graceful" losses, they were out of it by the 4th quarter in both games)... Although at the same time, 3 of their 5 wins are against bottom 5 teams (Raiders, Bills, 49ers). Just not quite sold on them yet, same goes for Ravens and Steelers. I'll go ahead and say they are indeed the 3rd best, especially with Bosa returning, and will manage 10 or 11 wins, meaning a 5-4 or 6-3 finish to their pretty tough remaining schedule that includes at Seahawks, at Chiefs, Ravens, at Steelers and Broncos x2 (always tough game for both teams).

Honestly in both of those games the Chargers beat themselves pretty bad too. (Yeah I know typical of the Chargers to do that)

But that stuff has mostly been cleaned up. And the three main players who caused self-inflicted woes in both of those games have either been cut or mostly phased out of their roles. To explain:

- JJ Jones muffed a punt in the Chiefs game, was ran in for a score almost immediately after. He was cut a couple weeks ago

- Travis Benjamin had 2 terrible dropped passes that would have been easy TD's in the Chiefs game. Even since returning from injury he has seen very little playing time with Mike and Tyrell Williams seeing increased snaps.

- Drew Kaser had a consistent problem of outkicking his coverage on punts, and he did so on the first punt to Tyreek Hill against the Chiefs. Needless to say, that was costly. He also took 3 steps and took WAY too long while punting out of the endzone in the Rams game. That punt was blocked and recovered for a TD. 

Mistakes by these 3 players really killed us in both of those games. For the most part, those kinds of things have been cleaned up since then.

Also: We are getting our best defensive player back after this bye. A problem in both the Chiefs and the Rams game was an inability to get any kind of pressure on Mahommes and Goff, I think Bosa would have made a difference in both of those games.

I'm aware the Chargers are a team known for making mistakes, but so far this season feels different in that they are pulling out games that they would have lost in previous years and the stupid mistakes we are used to seeing the Chargers make are more or less becoming outliers/exceptions rather than the norm.

Point Being: The Chargers on their best day are absolutely capable of beating either of those teams. It didn't really feel like we got outplayed terribly in either. Both games were pretty much shootouts and the costly mistakes I just mentioned were what ultimately swung those games in favor of the Rams/Chiefs

Archived