Where do you rank the Chargers in the AFC

Blackstar12

2 or 3. They're in the middle of a brutal portion of the schedule in terms of travel, missing two key defensive starters, but are doing well with a very balanced offense and a potential DROY candidate in Derwin James (who I felt was the best DB in the entire draft).

I sincerely think this team could beat NE in the playoffs.

They have a sneaky game coming up vs titans. Then they have a tough road game at Seattle. Then they got Pit, Cincy, KC and Baltimore i believe all in a row. So we'll find out. Alot will have to do with how Bosa looks to.

The only loss the Chargers really can afford in the next 4-5 weeks is the Seattle game. If they can get to that week 15 matchup against Pittsburgh at 8-3, then they will be in good shape when it comes to making the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

The only loss the Chargers really can afford in the next 4-5 weeks is the Seattle game. If they can get to that week 15 matchup against Pittsburgh at 8-3, then they will be in good shape when it comes to making the playoffs. 

I agree, mainly because the next 4-5 weeks are cake.

Titans, Seahawks, Raiders, Broncos, Cardinals.

I think they'll win all 5 personally, be 9-2, and only need 1 more win to guarantee a spot in the playoffs.

Hard to say, for me, at this point. I really want to see how they do in their next two matchups. So far they've basically beaten really bad teams, and been beaten by really good teams. So based on what they've done so far, they could be a top 5 team in the NFL. They could also be pretty mediocre. So I'm very interested to see how they do against some mid-level teams in Tennessee and Seattle. They're also clearly the best defenses they'll face in the first half of the season, so that will be a good test to see too.

Still early enough in the season that there's a few teams I can't quite decide if their record is reflective of who they are, or if they're a product of who they've played, or what.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I hope they do.  It'll be cool to see Rivers get a ring and cement his HOF legitimacy. 

I'm right there with you.  Of course, I've been saying that since the offseason.    Getting Bosa back will be huge for them, their D is already better at run D this year, add an elite pass rusher (who also disrupts in the run game), and man, I don't know a better team in the AFC.  KC is so unbalanced O vs. D, and frankly, Bortles is a just a nightmare.    The home L vs. KC really hurts them though, they need to run the AFCW and win @KC as part of that if they want to seriously contend this year.   They may not have much of a HFA, but they don't want to be playing road games in the playoffs for time zone/cold issues.

5-8 range for me.  Best case scenario they punch a wild card ticket and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. They also can very easily miss the playoffs with a couple typical Charger losses. If Bosa is able to get on the field and contribute then they have a better chance. 

19 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Remove the Jags Bortles is trash last year was an outlier.

They're still the best team in the AFCS. Their defense had a bad week vs Dak, but will probably injure Deshaun Watson (not intentionally, not saying that) and cruise against anyone not named Tennessee (who might go 7-9 and 6-0 in divisional play). 

19 hours ago, theJ said:

Nothing whatsoever to back this up, but i have a hunch that by the end of the year KC will have fallen off some and we'll be talking about SD and NE as the premier teams in the AFC.

Andy Reid, Andy Reid, Andy Reid. There's like two decades of evidence that back up your hunch.

20 hours ago, theJ said:

Nothing whatsoever to back this up, but i have a hunch that by the end of the year KC will have fallen off some and we'll be talking about SD and NE as the premier teams in the AFC.

I also think when it is all said and done they will be a bit better than the Chiefs. Chargers have a real shot at doing damage in the playoffs and winning the AFC. But.........

Archived