The 2018 Green Bay Packers

Golfman

Tough loss but there is a lot to like about what our future holds. 

First the given(s): Matthews, Perry (even with the cap hit), Montgomery, Clinton-Dix, Williams and Cobb are coming to a close of their careers in GB and rightfully so. I think Wilkerson could come back on a 1 year deal unless we shore the depth up via trade or draft. 

WR: Adams is lethal! Allison is serviceable. MVS and St. Brown appear to be the real deal at this point and with very big upsides. Who knows what we have in Moore and we still have Kumerow on IR. I think Rodgers could have his best group of WR next year since: Driver, Jones, Jennings and Nelson. It actually could rival that group next year. 

CB: Man, Gute nailed our first pick. Alexander will be a shutdown CB. King is very solid and Jackson has a lot of upside. Breeland has to be on the field before Williams. 

RB: Jones is legit and Williams has a role. 

OL: We need an upgrade in the interior at Bell's spot. 

QB: Still in great shape and will thrive once we upgrade the HC in the off season. Yes, I think this is going to happen. 

TE: need one in the draft or free agency. Graham isn't what he once was and nothing else on the team scares anyone. 

DL: Clark is dominant. Daniels has had a solid year, I don't care what the detractors say. Lowry is a nice compliment and has played real good in stretches. If rumors are true and we trade Dix for Armstead, we'll be able to skip this position early in the draft to focus on other needs. 

ILB: Martinez decided to show up this game. If that's the guy we get he's locked down on one spot. Burks is a freak athlete and so is Josh Jones if they can become serviceable to good opposite Martinez we're as good there as we've been in a decade or more. Ryan comes back on a one-year deal IMO. 

S: Brice played better today, yet unspectacular. Whitehead is OK, not great. I assume Dix is gone, if not be trade won't be re-signed. Going to need to address in the off season either with a pick or free agent. 

EDGE: We're terrible! Sackrell is our best outside pass rusher, that's how bad it is. Gilbert is a decent player if he's your 4th EDGE player. Matthews and Perry are non-existent. 

This is doable in one off season and if I could get my joy stick type of guy too, bonus. Tyreek Hill type of guy with the WR's, RB and Rodgers, it's over. 

24 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Tough loss but there is a lot to like about what our future holds. 

First the given(s): Matthews, Perry (even with the cap hit), Montgomery, Clinton-Dix, Williams and Cobb are coming to a close of their careers in GB and rightfully so. I think Wilkerson could come back on a 1 year deal unless we shore the depth up via trade or draft.  This isn't the first time I've read speculation about Ha Ha.  Is this for real?

WR: Adams is lethal! Allison is serviceable. MVS and St. Brown appear to be the real deal at this point and with very big upsides. Who knows what we have in Moore and we still have Kumerow on IR. I think Rodgers could have his best group of WR next year since: Driver, Jones, Jennings and Nelson. It actually could rival that group next year. 

CB: Man, Gute nailed our first pick.  Alexander will be a shutdown CB. King is very solid and Jackson has a lot of upside. Breeland has to be on the field before Williams. 

RB: Jones is legit and Williams has a role.   We could use another one here instead of Ty.

OL: We need an upgrade in the interior at Bell's spot.   We could also use a LG too.  

QB: Still in great shape and will thrive once we upgrade the HC in the off season. Yes, I think this is going to happen.   I've never been one to want MM gone but it might be time.

TE: need one in the draft or free agency. Graham isn't what he once was and nothing else on the team scares anyone.   

DL: Clark is dominant. Daniels has had a solid year, I don't care what the detractors say. Lowry is a nice compliment and has played real good in stretches. If rumors are true and we trade Dix for Armstead, we'll be able to skip this position early in the draft to focus on other needs. 

ILB: Martinez decided to show up this game. If that's the guy we get he's locked down on one spot. Burks is a freak athlete and so is Josh Jones if they can become serviceable to good opposite Martinez we're as good there as we've been in a decade or more. Ryan comes back on a one-year deal IMO. 

S: Brice played better today, yet unspectacular. Whitehead is OK, not great. I assume Dix is gone, if not be trade won't be re-signed. Going to need to address in the off season either with a pick or free agent. 

EDGE: We're terrible! Sackrell is our best outside pass rusher, that's how bad it is. Gilbert is a decent player if he's your 4th EDGE player. Matthews and Perry are non-existent.   Yes, EDGE is a major need.  

This is doable in one off season and if I could get my joy stick type of guy too, bonus. Tyreek Hill type of guy with the WR's, RB and Rodgers, it's over. 

I really liked what I saw in our defense today even if we can only get pressure by blitzing.   Yes, Alexander is a stud in the making and King is a nice sized CB.  I agree, we aren't that far away from being a force again.

It seemed like Pettine had our DL playing MORE 2 gap yesterday which kept Martinez clean for most of the game.

The whole DL played really well vs. The run.  I'm not sure why the Rams declined to test the edge of the Packers defense though.  Off tackle runs have killed us this year and I don't remember a single one.

I'm not holding my breath for a trade, but it is clear that EDGE will be a priority this off-season.

7 minutes ago, Cheech said:

It seemed like Pettine had our DL playing MORE 2 gap yesterday which kept Martinez clean for most of the game.

The whole DL played really well vs. The run.  I'm not sure why the Rams declined to test the edge of the Packers defense though.  Off tackle runs have killed us this year and I don't remember a single one.

I'm not holding my breath for a trade, but it is clear that EDGE will be a priority this off-season.

Seems like I saw Lancaster get quite a few snaps and he looked good to the untrained eye. I think I even saw Adams in there as well.

11 hours ago, Golfman said:

EDGE: We're terrible! Sackrell is our best outside pass rusher, that's how bad it is. Gilbert is a decent player if he's your 4th EDGE player. Matthews and Perry are non-existent. 

I disagree with this.  Matthews had a very good game.  He forced Goff into the pocket multiple times and hit him multiple times.  I'm not sure what people are expecting but they sacked Goff 5 times yesterday.  2 from the Edge guys and the other three were all because the edge got pressure and contain.  Perry has been non-existent but saying that about Matthews is not true.  I'm not 100% convinced Pettine really wants the Edge guys getting all the sacks.  I mean this team is 3rd in the league in Sacks per game right now and that is with the non-existent edge.  

On 10/28/2018 at 8:18 PM, Golfman said:

Tough loss but there is a lot to like about what our future holds. -Me too, but the 2015 draft class is going to kill this club.  2016 isn't shaping up to be great, just average.  Clark is a bonafide stud, and I love Martinez.  But take those two away and that draft is disappointing.  If Spriggs can somehow be a starting guard or tackle, then that draft could end up as a B...until that happens, it is a C+ or so...maybe B-.  2017 is blurry, but there is hope.  King is good when on the field.  Josh Jones doesn't play on D...undrafted free agents play ahead of him.  Adams doesn't get snaps on the DL despite Wilkerson going down.  Biegle is gone.  Williams I'll get to below.  Aaron Jones is the most underutilized weapon in the NFL.  WR's are gone as is the developmental guard.  I think that 2017 and 2018 draft class will be the two to vault GB forward.  Not this year, but next year and the year after.

First the given(s): Matthews, Perry (even with the cap hit), Montgomery, Clinton-Dix, Williams and Cobb are coming to a close of their careers in GB and rightfully so. I think Wilkerson could come back on a 1 year deal unless we shore the depth up via trade or draft. 

WR: Adams is lethal! Allison is serviceable. MVS and St. Brown appear to be the real deal at this point and with very big upsides. Who knows what we have in Moore and we still have Kumerow on IR. I think Rodgers could have his best group of WR next year since: Driver, Jones, Jennings and Nelson. It actually could rival that group next year. -Lethal is an understatement!  Gute did a great job re-loading that WR position.  ESB has an insane YPC average and you can't ask for more out of a rookie WR than MVS has given you.  Moore has potential too.  Cobb is gone after this year, I think Kumerow has a future in the slot and we can draft a slot later in the draft.

CB: Man, Gute nailed our first pick. Alexander will be a shutdown CB. King is very solid and Jackson has a lot of upside. Breeland has to be on the field before Williams. -Strength of this team is gonna be it's 3 corners for the next 6 years or so.  That secondary, though, needs a rookie safety with athletic ability and a veteran safety with brains.  Could be that vet is Williams or Breeland.  Unsure just why Josh Jones doesn't get snaps back there, he must be awful in the classroom and practice field.

RB: Jones is legit and Williams has a role. -Williams...if there is 5 yards there, he will get you 2.  If there is 1 yard there, he will get you 2.  If there is 10 yards there, he will get you 3.  He's a fullback in a tailbacks body...size wise.  I hope they put 10 pounds on him and show him how to block some.  They can do better at RB later in the draft.  To me, he's a tough runner with very limited vision and RB skill.  They should try to improve from him.  Jones needs to show he is a willing pass blocker and the sky will be his limit.

OL: We need an upgrade in the interior at Bell's spot. -I'd argue they need another tackle, too.  I have very little faith in Spriggs.  Take a tackle within the first 3 picks, and then take two guards rounds 4-7.

QB: Still in great shape and will thrive once we upgrade the HC in the off season. Yes, I think this is going to happen. --+1

TE: need one in the draft or free agency. Graham isn't what he once was and nothing else on the team scares anyone. -I don't disagree about Graham, but he gets open.  I don't think they really need to draft one, the next great tight end is Tonyan.

DL: Clark is dominant. Daniels has had a solid year, I don't care what the detractors say. Lowry is a nice compliment and has played real good in stretches. If rumors are true and we trade Dix for Armstead, we'll be able to skip this position early in the draft to focus on other needs. -Daniels hasn't met my expectations this year.  Lowry is just a guy.  Clark, yah, dominant.  Adams is non-existent.  Club needs to find another DL...and I'd argue that guy should replace Daniels in two years.  

ILB: Martinez decided to show up this game. If that's the guy we get he's locked down on one spot. Burks is a freak athlete and so is Josh Jones if they can become serviceable to good opposite Martinez we're as good there as we've been in a decade or more. Ryan comes back on a one-year deal IMO. -I dig Martinez.  Burks is soft.  And really, you can't change or train soft out of someone.  He's miscast as a linebacker....at least inside.  Josh Jones should be a stud, ungh, frustrating.  I think they can draft another linebacker.

S: Brice played better today, yet unspectacular. Whitehead is OK, not great. I assume Dix is gone, if not be trade won't be re-signed. Going to need to address in the off season either with a pick or free agent. -Pick and free agent.

EDGE: We're terrible! Sackrell is our best outside pass rusher, that's how bad it is. Gilbert is a decent player if he's your 4th EDGE player. Matthews and Perry are non-existent. -A lot of cap is being wasted on Matthews and Perry.  GB needs to find one OLB in free agency.  Then they need to draft one or two early.  Or trade up for a sure thing.  

This is doable in one off season and if I could get my joy stick type of guy too, bonus. Tyreek Hill type of guy with the WR's, RB and Rodgers, it's over. -One off season.  Yes, provided we plug an EDGE hole and safety via free agency.  I think they can draft the rest.  Unless they change the HC...then it will be a minimum of 2 years before GB realistically challenges for a title.

Archived