NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

I like that Brandon Clarke kid. He reminds me of Josh Smith. Hopefully, he doesn't share Smith's shot selection problem.

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I really hope Zion is what you all expect. He's a good kid so I wish him nothing but the best. I'll gladly be wrong if it means a young man thrives.

You don't like Zion?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I like that Brandon Clarke kid. He reminds me of Josh Smith. Hopefully, he doesn't share Smith's shot selection problem.

You don't like Zion?

Brandon Clarke is definitely smarter than Josh Smith haha. I like him a lot and if his arms were longer he'd be a guaranteed lottery pick.

It's not that he doesn't like Zion (though I'm pretty sure he doesn't view him quite as highly as most), but this guy is coming in with more hype than any prospect since LeBron, so expectations are beyond sky high. If he doesn't come in and put up a Blake Griffin level rookie season, then a lot of people will view it as a disappointment and that's not fair to Zion.

I don't think he'll be a franchise player, as in an elite player who can be the best player on a championship team. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to like him more and more and would have loved for the Grizzles to get him and he's an easy #1 pick, but I think he'll top out closer to bottom end of top 20 player as opposed to a top 5-10 player.

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I really hope Zion is what you all expect. He's a good kid so I wish him nothing but the best. I'll gladly be wrong if it means a young man thrives.

I remember before the college season started everyone was saying that he'd be Duke's 3rd best player and would have a hard time adjusting to college basketball. Hell, people went as far as saying he only dominated in HS because he played against weak competition... 

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't think he'll be a franchise player, as in an elite player who can be the best player on a championship team. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to like him more and more and would have loved for the Grizzles to get him and he's an easy #1 pick, but I think he'll top out closer to bottom end of top 20 player as opposed to a top 5-10 player.

I could see that. I think it's realistic to expect that he becomes a Blake Griffin-level player rather than one of the truly elite players in the league.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I could see that. I think it's realistic to expect that he becomes a Blake Griffin-level player rather than one of the truly elite players in the league.

He's gonna be a mix between young and old Griffin. I don't think he'll ever reach the scoring and playmaking levels of current Griffin or the elite rebounding of young Griffin, but a combo with better defense.

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's gonna be a mix between young and old Griffin. I don't think he'll ever reach the scoring and playmaking levels of current Griffin or the elite rebounding of young Griffin, but a combo with better defense.

Zion’s ball handling and playmaking are already better than Blake’s. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Zion’s ball handling and playmaking are already better than Blake’s. 

I don't agree about his playmaking or ballhandling. Griffin is a legit point forward at the NBA level.

8 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Brandon Clarke is definitely smarter than Josh Smith haha. I like him a lot and if his arms were longer he'd be a guaranteed lottery pick.

It's not that he doesn't like Zion (though I'm pretty sure he doesn't view him quite as highly as most), but this guy is coming in with more hype than any prospect since LeBron, so expectations are beyond sky high. If he doesn't come in and put up a Blake Griffin level rookie season, then a lot of people will view it as a disappointment and that's not fair to Zion.

Sad but 100% true. That mediocre wingspan is going to cost him like 5 spots, at least lol. Still a huge fan, numbers don't lie, more than makes up for lack of length with excellent timing and athleticism.

If I had to bet, I'd peg Zion around where you are projecting him (top 20), BUT, I do think the ceiling is there for him to be a franchise player. Ton of "ifs" though. 

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I think Zion is going to be a monster, personally, but I understand why people don't feel the same. I think he has Draymond Green potential on defense with Larry Johnson potential on offense. His ball handling at his size and weight is highly impressive. And nobody doubts his athletic gifts. He's flashed a shot and playmaking ability. Yeah, I think he can be one of the top 10 players in the NBA.

Archived