NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

He's definitely intriguing. Going to be that guy who falls to #15 even though everyone loves his upside and two years from now we all go "Why wasn't this dude taken earlier?". 

He'll likely be a top 10 pick, he has had a lot of hype for a while, he's finally starting to play up too it. 

This guy has maybe my favorite NBA draft channels on Youtube. The past couple of drafts he makes playlist highlighting(and lowlighting) individual plays for individual prospects. For example, there's +80 plays for Barrett, which shows why he's thought of highly by many but also showing the fears and flaws many have on him.

Check his channel out if you have free time and want to see some of these prospects.

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I just got around to the combine stuff but man, Luka Samanic was impressive, he'll definitely be a first round pick. 6'11" 230, can shoot, good defender, and can play either forward spot. 

San Antonio might scoop him at 19 or whatever their first pick is. 

Every year, every draft there are sleepers. Kawhi Leonard, PG, Giannis, Jokic. Dray Green etc.. 

One reason why I don't mind Boston having 3 first rd picks and NOT trading them. Granted it's hard to get the next great sleeper. But 3 years from now someone will say why didn't "player X" get drafted so low.

11 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Every year, every draft there are sleepers. Kawhi Leonard, PG, Giannis, Jokic. Dray Green etc.. 

One reason why I don't mind Boston having 3 first rd picks and NOT trading them. Granted it's hard to get the next great sleeper. But 3 years from now someone will say why didn't "player X" get drafted so low.

Of the 15 players selected for the All-NBA teams, 11 were lottery picks, 2 were selected at #15 just outside the lottery, 1 was a late first round pick, and 1 was a second round pick. But 13/15 were top 15 picks in the draft and the only two that weren't were euro raw European big men with unique skillsets in Gobert and Jokic. 

@resilient part 2 I know Ainge is masterful at acquiring and moving assets around to build a team but can you really be that confident in his ability to scout and identify talent? You guys have had a ton of draft capital in recent years but have really missed the mark. 

2018: Robert Williams (27th) - Jury's still out but should be a role player.

2017: Jayson Tatum (3rd) - Looks like a young All-Star.

2016: Jaylen Brown (3rd) - Good player but not sure he'll ever be All-Star caliber. 

Guerschon Yabusele (16th) - Looks like a bust. 

Ante Zizic (23rd) - Looks like a decent role playing big. 

2015: Terry Rozier (16th) - Roleplaying backup PG, solid but not anything special. 

RJ Hunter (28th) - Bust, out of the league. 

2014: Marcus Smart (6th) - One of the better role players in the league. 

James Young (17th) - Bust, out of the league. 

2013: Lucas Nogueira (16th) - Bust, out of the league. 

2012: Jared Sullinger (21st) - Bust, out of the league. 

Fab Melo (22nd) - Bust, out of the league. 

2011: MarShon Brooks (25th) - Bust, out of the league. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Of the 15 players selected for the All-NBA teams, 11 were lottery picks, 2 were selected at #15 just outside the lottery, 1 was a late first round pick, and 1 was a second round pick. But 13/15 were top 15 picks in the draft and the only two that weren't were euro raw European big men with unique skillsets in Gobert and Jokic. 

And with that Goga Bitadze is this years sleeper candidate. Probably not to be a superstar but to get a lot more value than they were drafted. 

30 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

And with that Goga Bitadze is this years sleeper candidate. Probably not to be a superstar but to get a lot more value than they were drafted. 

One of the sleeper guys that I like is KZ Okpala out of Stanford. 6'9.5" 210 with a 7'2" wingspan and an improving offensive game. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

@resilient part 2 I know Ainge is masterful at acquiring and moving assets around to build a team but can you really be that confident in his ability to scout and identify talent? You guys have had a ton of draft capital in recent years but have really missed the mark. 

2018: Robert Williams (27th) - Jury's still out but should be a role player. will be a really good role player IMO.

2017: Jayson Tatum (3rd) - Looks like a young All-Star.

2016: Jaylen Brown (3rd) - Good player but not sure he'll ever be All-Star caliber. looking at rest of that draft, most top players were/are disappointments Brown is at least near Allstar level potential

Guerschon Yabusele (16th) - Looks like a bust. NO argument here

Ante Zizic (23rd) - Looks like a decent role playing big. 

2015: Terry Rozier (16th) - Roleplaying backup PG, solid but not anything special. agreed

RJ Hunter (28th) - Bust, out of the league. Agreed again

2014: Marcus Smart (6th) - One of the better role players in the league. yes and No

James Young (17th) - Bust, out of the league. lazy azz dummy

2013: Lucas Nogueira (16th) - Bust, out of the league. 

2012: Jared Sullinger (21st) - Bust, out of the league. really F'ed that one up.

Fab Melo (22nd) - Bust, out of the league. Yes and he died after getting cut.

2011: MarShon Brooks (25th) - Bust, out of the league. 

replies in Bold.

You are right, Ainge has not drafted well with late picks. Still everyone, including Ainge has hits and misses. I just pointing out that there are really good sleepers out there every year. Just have to hit on one.

Edited by resilient part 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Khris Middleton's replacement

That'd be a great fit for him. He can be a 2 guard at 6'9" and should continue to improve as a shooter/scorer and overall as he continues to grow into his body. His potential defensive versatility as a 6'9" guard is crazy too. 

Another one of my sleeper prospects is Kevin Porter Jr, a guard out of USC. His freshman season was up and down but he can definitely play and has a lot of upside. He was 6'5.5" 215 with a 6'9" wingspan at the combine. At worst he should be a JR Smith type player but if he reaches his ceiling he could be one of the better two guards in the league. 

Edited by NYRaider