Trade Deadline Thread - DT To Houston for 4th Rd pick and 7th rd swap

Broncofan

Let's be optimistic and start a new thread, hopefully we'll have a couple of trades to cover.

DT really sounds like he's gathering interest - Elway's reportedly asking for a 3rd, which is ludicrous.   I mean, if a GM is crazy enough, sure.  But at the 14M salary next year, it's a rental, and we aren't keeping him.  A 5th is a good return, anything else is gravy, given we can then roll out Sutton in the X, and when he's back, DeSean Hamilton in 3-WR sets.

Sadly, sounds like LAR wants to acquire Dante Fowler, so no buzz on Ray yet....Barrett would be another guy to target.

Unfortunately, Brandon Marshall has a bone bruise, which pretty much makes him untradeable.  With DRC retiring today, seems like OAK's Gareon Conley is off the market - really wonder if we could get a decent pick for Roby (Eli Apple got a 4th, we'd be happy to get that).

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let's be optimistic and start a new thread, hopefully we'll have a couple of trades to cover.

DT really sounds like he's gathering interest - Elway's reportedly asking for a 3rd, which is ludicrous.   I mean, if a GM is crazy enough, sure.  But at the 14M salary next year, it's a rental, and we aren't keeping him.  A 5th is a good return, anything else is gravy, given we can then roll out Sutton in the X, and when he's back, DeSean Hamilton in 3-WR sets.

Sadly, sounds like LAR wants to acquire Dante Fowler, so no buzz on Ray yet....Barrett would be another guy to target.

Unfortunately, Brandon Marshall has a bone bruise, which pretty much makes him untradeable.  With DRC retiring today, seems like OAK's Gareon Conley is off the market - really wonder if we could get a decent pick for Roby (Eli Apple got a 4th, we'd be happy to get that).

What would be the Yes/No line for Roby, Ray, and Barrett when it comes to trading them for a pick now vs waiting and getting the comp pick next year? Obviously doesn't matter for Marshall and DT as they'll be cuts rather than contract expirations, you take what you can get. 

2 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

What would be the Yes/No line for Roby, Ray, and Barrett when it comes to trading them for a pick now vs waiting and getting the comp pick next year? Obviously doesn't matter for Marshall and DT as they'll be cuts rather than contract expirations, you take what you can get. 

Roby - probably a 4th/5th (doubt he's getting a top 10 contract, so end-of-4th 2020 is best case)

Ray - 5th-6th (injury history kills him)

Barrett - 6th

Remember getting the pick in 2019 gets an added round of value, as comp picks aren't guaranteed (because if we spend for a FA, it takes away some of the value lost), and we have to wait 1 more year.   We really do want the room for Holland to crack the 53-man roster, he could use the game reps and 1st-team practice reps he'd get with being in the top 4 EDGE rotation, plus protection against a PS claim (which would put Elway's resolve of now vs. later to the test, better not to have that issue).

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I would try to extend Barrett, see if he'd take a lowball offer. Get whatever you can for Ray and Roby. Ray might have no value. 

I’d be surprised if Elway didn’t already make that offer TBH.  But yeah If we don’t deal him that’s always an avenue.  Just very unlikely if we are a bad team there’s any reason to do anything but chase the $$.  Their careers are so short it’s hard to blame anyone in their position.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

I’d be surprised if Elway didn’t akready make that offer TBH.  But yeah If we don’t deal him that’s always an avenue.  Just very unlikely if we are a bad team there’s any reason to do anything but chase the $$.  Their careers are so short it’s hard to blame anyone in their position.  

I have always wondered how the league views Barrett, that's really what it comes down to. If there's money to chase,  he absolutely has to. I've always appreciated what a complete player he is. As Von's peak winds down, he could be really valuable spelling him on early downs. 

As much as I've drilled Elway & co. for their complete lack of QB evaluation skills, the disaster Day 1-2 drafts from 2015-17, and the mistaken focus on win-now the past 1.5 seasons, this was an A+ trade by him.   Getting a 4th or better is just totally best-case, if this is true (details unconfirmed at this time).    Kudos to Elway.   Now let's see about Ray & Roby, please.

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I’d be surprised if Elway didn’t already make that offer TBH.  But yeah If we don’t deal him that’s always an avenue.  Just very unlikely if we are a bad team there’s any reason to do anything but chase the $$.  Their careers are so short it’s hard to blame anyone in their position.  

Thats not Elways MO. He always waits to let the market decide a guys worth. Bad business strategy IMO.

If you want to keep the player, offer 'em an extension after the 3rd year. If they don't like it, trade 'em and get something back.

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Thats not Elways MO. He always waits to let the market decide a guys worth. Bad business strategy IMO.

If you want to keep the player, offer 'em an extension after the 3rd year. If they don't like it, trade 'em and get something back.

Not true - he got Wolfe extended in-season in 2015-16 (while we were still in the playoffs) and had offered the same earlier to Malik Jackson (who declined and chased the money).   He has offered team-friendly deals to guys in-season in the final year of their contracts, if no one wants it, then he waits. 

Now, Elway doesn't offer in between the 3rd-4th year, that's very true.   That's the whole discussion we had on Paradis - whether to extend him during TC, or wait during in-season/offseason.   

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Not true - he got Wolfe extended in-season in 2015 and offered to Malik Jackson (who declined and chased the money).   He has offered team-friendly deals to guys in-season in the final year of their contracts, if no one wants it, then he waits. 

CHJ too. 

Archived