Demaryius Thomas to Texans

amazingandre

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

He's signed for two years - so it'll be more than 8 games.

He's due $14 million next year, and it costs you nothing to cut him. I would be shocked if he's back at $14 million and with you holding all the cards (no dead cap by cutting him), I question whether he'd be willing to come back at the amount his actual market value (circa $5-7 million a year).

Demaryius is a great pro and every time a teammate has talked about him in Denver it's been in glowing terms. He can still run on the outside with his long stride and for his size, he gets out of his cuts well. He will frustrate with poorly timed drops and his lack of physicality after the catch, but I think he will have success in your Offense at moving the chains on 7-12 yard out/dig routes.

I wish him the best of luck, and sure hope he gets one heck of a reception on Sunday.

31 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He's due $14 million next year, and it costs you nothing to cut him. I would be shocked if he's back at $14 million and with you holding all the cards (no dead cap by cutting him), I question whether he'd be willing to come back at the amount his actual market value (circa $5-7 million a year).

Demaryius is a great pro and every time a teammate has talked about him in Denver it's been in glowing terms. He can still run on the outside with his long stride and for his size, he gets out of his cuts well. He will frustrate with poorly timed drops and his lack of physicality after the catch, but I think he will have success in your Offense at moving the chains on 7-12 yard out/dig routes.

I wish him the best of luck, and sure hope he gets one heck of a reception on Sunday.

If I were to guess, as long as DT plays well, HOU and he will come to an accommodation - where he takes a 4M pay cut, but gets incentives that are easy to get for 1M, and then performance based for 3M more.     HOU gets closer to OK value, and DT gets more than he would on the open market.

If DT somehow balls out, and gets to 80-1000-8 or better (which I don't see, given the adjustment time - he's at 36-400-3), then HOU will just renew the option, even if he isn't worth 14M.   I do think as long as DT doesn't fall off a cliff, the Texans will likely keep him some way for 2019.   I'd only say that for about 3-4 teams at 14M, because that number is such a bad value overall - even 10M is a stretch for what he is nowadays.   But HOU's situation is a little different - Fuller's ACL recovery is by no means certain he can return for Week 1 - PUP is very possible.   Many NFL players often can return at 10 months to start playing - but remember, Fuller's not most players, he's had a huge issue with soft-tissue injuries in his legs.   Those kind of players are most vulnerable to requiring the longer 12 month timeframe to recover.    I'd put it at better than 50-50 that he starts the year on PUP.   With that, the desire to keep DT (provided he's still playing well) becomes a big push...along with the optics to justify the 4th round pick spent.  If they spent a 6th, I suspect they'd be able to walk away, and say it was the going rate for a 8-game rental.

DT's been a model citizen, and a good teammate.   If he enjoys playing with Watson, he will also know he's not getting even 10M on the open market.   I don't see him causing a huge stink if they re-work the deal to a good base, and more incentives, especially if he loves playing with Watson & co.   As long as the HOU GM (forgot who replaced Smith) is creative enough, I'd be very surprised to see anything but DT in HOU colors for 2019. 

On 10/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, ET80 said:

Doesn't the league have a rule about mid season number changes? I vaguely remember something like this, but could be wrong.

Just to circle around on this, DT is going to be #87.  Apparently rule is that guys are allowed to change numbers mid-season, but only if they have played less than 30% of snaps  (basically to protect jersey sales).  Akins has played 37%.  I'm hoping he adds a D or Jordan adds a J.  Announcers can't keep the two Jordan's straight or Deshaun, DeAndre,  adding DeMaryius and Thomas is going to make Archaleta's head swim.

Archived