Da'Ron Payne is my early vote for Defensive Rookie of the Year *VIDEO

taylor made

Payne has been a Major Pain to opposing centers. I love his junkyard dog attitude and he’s a player. Don’t count our Vea, he’s been injured

i agree I don’t see him winning because he’s not a sack master. But so glad we have him! Maybe just fire al our scouts and just draft players from Bama

That’s a really great video. Has me pretty psyched for the game today. Especially after hearing “there’s nose tackles all over the league who eat space — then there are nose tackles who eat you once you come into their space, and that’s Daron Payne.”

They spend a lot of time on the biomechanics of the anchor-turn he’s doing to fend off double teams, but it really is amazing. Look at who he’s taking on (and completely discarding) in those two clips they’re focusing on — they’re both clips where a guard is taking him on first and getting help from Payne’s left to work the double. In the first, it’s perennial All-Pro Zach Martin (getting help from La’el Collins) who gets totally tossed aside as Payne holds his ground and one-arm absorbs Zeke Elliott for the assisted tackle. In the second, he’s face-planting massive rookie “road grader” Will Hernandez while batting the center away like an annoying gnat.

Even though he’s my adopted Redskins, I don’t give Payne all the credit for the huge leap forward by the Redskins’ run defense like that guy does. I think health for Allen of course and also Foster/Brown/Ioannidis has played a big role too. But Payne has been jaw-dropping at times, and it’s really crazy to think that he won’t turn 22 until OTAs next spring. 

Love it! He’s been great.

That being said, he glossed can over the fact that injuries derailed the Redskins defense last year. He showed bulk stats for the entire defense from 2017. Before Allen, Foster, Ioannidis and Nicholson were lost for the year our run defense was average in 2017 and the defense was better overall.

Those guys got hurt in 2017 and our D went to ish tge second half of the year.

Archived