How would you use the Le'Veon sized chunk of cap space that will free up this offseason?

grubs10

How do you EXPECT the Steelers to use the money they won't be spending on Le'Veon Bell going forward  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Take out those crystal balls. How will the Steelers end up using the money they won't be spending on Le'Veon Bell going forward

• They will aggressively get the defensive star that will take this team to the next level.
    • They will wisely find a few under the radar guys to fill holes and add depth and versatility to give our defense some new dimensions.
    • They will foolishly commit big longterm money to a player who can't live up to the contract or take us to the next level.
    • They will overpay on a couple guys who fit the mold of players we already have on this team and fail to address our weaknesses.
    • Other.

17 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If they resign McCullers and Dupree, they need to be no more than about $3M/yr contracts. Dupree for certain hasnt earned more than that as a former 1st round pick.

Your hatred of Dupree is ridiculous. Is he Von Miller, no, but he deserves more than 3M a year. Football fans are cancer. 

29 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Your hatred of Dupree is ridiculous. Is he Von Miller, no, but he deserves more than 3M a year. Football fans are cancer. 

I don't blame  wwhickok for his view, as I am similar with this. I don't know what a rotational OLB salary range is, but if it is 3M, then thats what dupree should get. He has improved, but also robbed the franchise for 3+ years and there are no indications he will be a legit starter calibre OLB of a good D. At least he has made a bit of improvement this year,  but he can't be relied on to defeat the OT that plays across him. Dupree gets his stats more from scheming and blitz, which in turn can often create problems for the D to overcome . It's better to have edge rushers that can defeat the OT's more consistently.

Just now, 3rivers said:

I don't blame  wwhickok for his view, as I am similar with this. I don't know what a rotational OLB salary range is, but if it is 3M, then thats what dupree should get. He has improved, but also robbed the franchise for 3+ years and there are no indications he will be a legit starter calibre OLB of a good D. At least he has made a bit of improvement this year,  but he can't be relied on to defeat the OT that plays across him. Dupree gets his stats more from scheming and blitz, which in turn can often create problems for the D to overcome . It's better to have edge rushers that can defeat the OT's more consistently.

I know the OT he was lining up against wasn't an all-pro but he worked him over all game. He was held on darn near every dropback. Go watch it. Dupree has been much better this year. Sometimes players take longer than others to develop. He didn't hold the franchise hostage, that's stupid. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know the OT he was lining up against wasn't an all-pro but he worked him over all game. He was held on darn near every dropback. Go watch it. Dupree has been much better this year. Sometimes players take longer than others to develop. He didn't hold the franchise hostage, that's stupid. 

He has made some improvement but it really isn't enough for me to accept the 5th year option but if hey give him the 3-4M per that I could tolerate. It's nothing against the player or work ethic, it's that this D needs a playmaker on the edge and dupree won't be that from what I have noticed in 4 years now. How many more years do we need  to learn if a player will become in the range of capability of our "standard" of OLB? The FO must be set on dupree, because they don't seem to care about getting Adeyini on the active roster to try. They do seem to give Chickillo  a share of snaps though, so who knows.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What makes him worth a big contract? 

Depends on your definition of big contract. In today’s NFL with an ever rising salary cap and continually increase of player money...$3M is fairly chump change. A $3M/year contract would make him the 56th paid edge rusher. Someone laughed at a the idea of giving him $5M/year like that was insanely high somewhere else..that would be the 41st highest paid edge rusher. Within two years of those contracts you could probably knock him down 5-10 more pegs in terms of where he fall against other contracts. That’s the mediocrity of the league, where 60% of the NFL lives. That’s not a large contract. 

I do not want Bud back. I would rather try new vet blood and redraft the future of the position, but $3M for Bud is a absolute steal. I’m not willing to pay him $9M like his 5th year option says...but there is a number between 3-9 that would make a lot of sense. 

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I do not want Bud back. I would rather try new vet blood and redraft the future of the position, but $3M for Bud is a absolute steal. I’m not willing to pay him $9M like his 5th year option says...but there is a number between 3-9 that would make a lot of sense. 

the problem with he bold is that can't be a steal if it prevents another player that could be better from getting a chance. There are no bargains when productivity is lacking and should be better. I would rather pay more for a legit defender instead of the bargain.  

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the problem with he bold is that can't be a steal if it prevents another player that could be better from getting a chance. There are no bargains when productivity is lacking and should be better. I would rather pay more for a legit defender instead of the bargain.  

Who said you must pencil him in as a starter and keep other guys from opportunities? $3M for a roster spot is a steal...doesn’t means he is your exclusive starter. If you bring him back for that low, it’s most likely as a rotational player. $3M is also easy to walk away from. Your not taking anything away from anyone else. 

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Honestly what do you base that on? What exactly has he done this year that makes people view him as a legitimate first-round pick? Or heck even an illegitimate second round or 3rd round pick after 4 years? Has he had an atrocious season? absolutely not. But the only reason he hasn't even had a season that makes us notice him is because of how bad he's been before we are the only fans that do notice him. So I don't hate Dupree I think he's a legitimate backup quality player. But I do not think that he deserves starter player money and I think it's ridiculous that people keep attacking those of us who feel that way because we feel that way. If you honestly believe that bud Dupree is miraculously going to become something more than what he is right now I think you are being ridiculous.

Also just a little bit of a tidbit here it's very possible that the front office agrees with me at least on some level considering they tried to add a linebacker mid-season in Bruce Irvin. Would he have started over Dupree maybe not initially but it's darn possible that eventually he would have. Even if he didn't is a show of the fact that clearly they don't feel a recurrent linebacker Corps is good enough

For the record I consider myself a realist more than I am hating on anyone. I'm not always right and plenty of people disagree with me and that's fine but to sit here and say that my opinion on you 3 is ridiculous because you think that I'm hating him come on man it's been 4 years there's no way in hell he deserves 9 million dollars a year which is what he's going to get paid next year on his fifth year option and I honestly would be surprised if they pay him less than that on a new contract which to me would be ridiculous. Now perhaps the first year will be that nine million dollars and then everything else will be less. I'd be okay with you if we were getting more out of him. He is a one move athletic linebacker who lacks strength and frankly I think lacks intelligence. Now the reason I say I think he lacks intelligence is because in granted for the most part they have stopped but because there for a while he was getting a string of penalties and it was the same penalty in every game. More importantly and even beyond that there are times and to be completely Fair he is not even remotely the only one where he looks completely lost on defense now perhaps that's not an intelligent issue but I mean come on it has been for years and he was a first-round pick. And for the record who would I select instead of Bud Dupree that's easy Byron Jones. Can you imagine what our defense would look like with Byron Jones at safety

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Honestly what do you base that on? What exactly has he done this year that makes people view him as a legitimate first-round pick? Or heck even an illegitimate second round or 3rd round pick after 4 years? Has he had an atrocious season? absolutely not. But the only reason he hasn't even had a season that makes us notice him is because of how bad he's been before we are the only fans that do notice him. So I don't hate Dupree I think he's a legitimate backup quality player. But I do not think that he deserves starter player money and I think it's ridiculous that people keep attacking those of us who feel that way because we feel that way. If you honestly believe that bud Dupree is miraculously going to become something more than what he is right now I think you are being ridiculous.

Also just a little bit of a tidbit here it's very possible that the front office agrees with me at least on some level considering they tried to add a linebacker mid-season in Bruce Irvin. Would he have started over Dupree maybe not initially but it's darn possible that eventually he would have. Even if he didn't is a show of the fact that clearly they don't feel a recurrent linebacker Corps is good enough

I’m not tying to put words in MOs mouth, but I don’t think he is trying to say Bud is worth $10-$15M a year...just that $3M in today’s NFL is super low. Elite guys are getting $17-$20M, top starters $13M plus. Actually looking at the reality of the NFL and how money is tending, $5-6M isn’t starter money, and probably right in line with what Dupree could be had for. More from a team that has, and need to spend, the money. 

He is going to be 26 and has 18 career sacks. We dislike him because he is a failed first rounders. The NFL won’t look at him like we do. 

25 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not tying to put words in MOs mouth, but I don’t think he is trying to say Bud is worth $10-$15M a year...just that $3M in today’s NFL is super low. Elite guys are getting $17-$20M, top starters $13M plus. Actually looking at the reality of the NFL and how money is tending, $5-6M isn’t starter money, and probably right in line with what Dupree could be had for. More from a team that has, and need to spend, the money. 

He is going to be 26 and has 18 career sacks. We dislike him because he is a failed first rounders. The NFL won’t look at him like we do. 

Hence why I said that when he gets roughly $7-8 mill per, it shouldn’t come as a shock. He’s playing decent this year...my guess is the Steelers won’t wanna create another hole on defense allowing them to concentrate on CB this offseason.

42 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

This is exactly what I was saying. When people say he's only worth 3M it's stupid. That's rookie wages. If people think Bud is only worth $3M there are only a few reasons why. 1. They don't pay attention to anything other that the Steelers 2. They hate Bud Dupree so much that they let it blind them to how solid he's been 3. They're just dumb. 

I'm not calling anyone specifically dumb around here, but I'm saying people act so dumb when it comes to this team. I don't know if it is like this with other fanbases but it is crazy here. 

17 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Bud Dupree: 46 games in career. 18 Sacks.

Bruce Irvin: First 46 games of career; 18 Sacks. 

Interesting. And Irvin then signed a deal for about $9M per. Very different hype sourounding each player at the time, but interesting comparison. 

Archived