Introducing the "reverse mirror" into the next NFL TV contract

pf9

OK, I've already stated my desire to split the entire TNF package between Fox and ABC (and simulcast still on NFL Network) from 2023 as well as putting the Sunday Morning London games, exclusive rights to a Wild Card Game, as well as a Divisional Round game on ABC (who would also have the Super Bowl once every 4 years).

But now I want to introduce something else new into NFL Sunday afternoon broadcasting in the next contract. The reverse mirror. It is a situation in which two national television channels have their signals split regionally, such that each of two programs will be available in all (or almost all) regions on one of the two channels, but will not air on the same channel in both regions.

ESPN and ABC do this with some college football telecasts each year. NBC and NBCSN have done this with some NHL playoff broadcasts.

In the NFL, CBS and Fox can utilize CBS Sports Network and Fox Sports 1, respectively, to distribute the top two games in their timeslots outside of areas where the games are airing on CBS and Fox.

Here is how it would work.

On the Singleheader Network

CBS/Fox takes the top game they air that Sunday, whether it's 1 or 4 PM game, and in markets it does not air on CBS/Fox, the game airs on CBSSN/FS1. In markets where the game is on CBS/Fox, Game B airs on CBSSN/FS1.

On the Doubleheader Network

In each timeslot, CBS/Fox takes the top game and distributes it to CBSSN/FS1 in areas the game is not airing on CBS/Fox. In areas the top game is on CBS/Fox, CBSSN/FS1 airs Game B. This does not apply if the late timeslot has only one game.

In both cases, no opposing game rules also apply, which means in some primary markets, CBSSN/FS1 would have to air alternate programming to avoid competing with the local team's game.

The reverse mirror would also come in handy if the NFL expanded the playoffs to 16 teams because it would allow the NFL to avoid playing Monday night playoff games.

Here's how.

Under my proposal, NBC and ABC each would get one first round game, played in primetime on Saturday for ABC, Sunday for NBC. CBS and Fox would get the afternoon games. Saturdays and Sundays would alternate each year between CBS early/Fox late and Fox early/CBS late. The early slot can be used for reverse mirrors. CBS and Fox would televise their 1 PM first round games regionally, but have reverse mirrors on CBS Sports Network and Fox Sports 1, respectively, which would still allow all NFL playoff games to air nationally.

Good insight. I like this, and it makes total sense except for the fact the NFL wont want to cannibalize its other games on the networks. 

I was thinking of making a similar thread about how two things are hurting 'ratings'

1) The fact that they only play one game on TV at a time in big markets, even when there should be no restrictions. 

There were literally two blowout games on TV in the bay area yesterday. There was Cardinals - Chiefs on CBS in the morning and Raiders - Chargers on Fox in the afternoon. Now the afternoon I understand, because a team within the market was playing... but with 7+ games going on in the morning, they ONLY SHOW ONE GAME ON TV? especially a game where a 9 win team is playing a two win team. I don't understand it. Its like they don't want people to watch. Neither of those games had any interest for me. can someone explain this please?

2) Redzone. I am not a fan of redzone, its good to have on a 2nd or third TV if you have a real game on. I understand the appeal, the fact their is no commercials is a major plus. Yesterday I was basically forced to watch it in the morning because it was clear the chiefs were going to cruise to a two score win. By watching redzone, people do not watch the games on the other networks. Not sure if this is factored into the 'ratings', but the younger generation basically only watches redzone and I think a big part of it is point #1 above. 

On a side note, I love that fox has a streaming app that comes free with your cable subscription. CBS wants you to pay a monthly fee for their service. CBS needs to get with the times. Fox, ESPN, NBC all have streaming apps for those of us stuck at grandmas house or whatever. 

23 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

They'll probably figure out a way to charge more money for that. It's a no for me. We have red zone and the ticket. You can also get gamepass.

This.

Outside of the Titans game on Sundays, I'm watching redzone for the rest of my football fix.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You do realize that the NFL created Sunday Ticket to capitalize on people wanting to watch out of market games.  The NFL is perfectly happy to give you 4 games a week for free to hook you, you gotta pay for more.

The best thing if you're a fan is Sunday ticket but if you don't feel like shelling out the cash or switching to DTV then I feel gamepass is the best bang for your buck. Anything more than red zone and everything else is too much. There's enough football to watch out there.

Just now, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

The best thing if you're a fan is Sunday ticket but if you don't feel like shelling out the cash or switching to DTV then I feel gamepass is the best bang for your buck. Anything more than red zone and everything else is too much. There's enough football to watch out there.

Gamepass is a good option too, a little less than the ticket.  The ticket is now available to pretty much everyone. You just have to  check a box saying you can't get dtv.  The bottom line is the NFL doesn't have an interest in giving away all the games for free.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Good insight. I like this, and it makes total sense except for the fact the NFL wont want to cannibalize its other games on the networks.

They wouldn't be cannibalizing, they'd just be giving viewers without Sunday Ticket or whatever more options for watching the NFL on Sundays

Archived