Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

I mean, at this point, I'm fine tanking 2019.  Who knows when or if Smith comes back.  Take the cap hit all in one year.  For Scherff, Ionaddis and anyone else they want to extend, sign them to front loaded deals to take up the rest of the cap- obviously keeping enough for draft picks.  

Mike Shanahan insisted until the day he left that the $36 million in cap space (spread over two years) absolutely crippled his ability to put a whole team together.  We're essentially in the same boat for the next two years, but with more guaranteed money on our hands.  I'll take a veteran coaches' word on that situation.  

It's time to go into tank mode for next year.  Snyder may not want it, but where else does this have to go?  Ticket sales are already sluggish, and if they tank, knowingly to make the team better in the long term, I can't believe they are going to lose that many more ticket sales.  Hell, some people may even buy back into them.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, at this point, I'm fine tanking 2019.  Who knows when or if Smith comes back.  Take the cap hit all in one year.  For Scherff, Ionaddis and anyone else they want to extend, sign them to front loaded deals to take up the rest of the cap- obviously keeping enough for draft picks.  

Mike Shanahan insisted until the day he left that the $36 million in cap space (spread over two years) absolutely crippled his ability to put a whole team together.  We're essentially in the same boat for the next two years, but with more guaranteed money on our hands.  I'll take a veteran coaches' word on that situation.  

It's time to go into tank mode for next year.  Snyder may not want it, but where else does this have to go?  Ticket sales are already sluggish, and if they tank, knowingly to make the team better in the long term, I can't believe they are going to lose that many more ticket sales.  Hell, some people may even buy back into them.  

Which is why I'm still pissed at the NFLPA and hope the owners roll them in 2020. Because they were the key to us getting screwed by Mara and his friends.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Which is why I'm still pissed at the NFLPA and hope the owners roll them in 2020. Because they were the key to us getting screwed by Mara and his friends.

Eh, it would’ve happened no matter what. Mara - the golden boy of the nfl - wanted it. Making players have less rights on the job and less protections from multi-billionaire owners will not improve the game, it will make it worse. The players already get screwed over all the time (especially defensive players). They’re fined, penalized and suspended just for playing the game. The off the field discipline rules I hate bc they are UnAmerican to me. The players need to make sure they’re changed and if I were them, I’d strike over it if I had too, the league has too much power right now. Players in the NFL are guilty before proven innocent by the league and public opinion. They’re suspended before the court system even rules on their cases, that’s wrong.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Eh, it would’ve happened no matter what. Mara - the golden boy of the nfl - wanted it. Making players have less rights on the job and less protections from multi-billionaire owners will not improve the game, it will make it worse. The players already get screwed over all the time (especially defensive players). They’re fined, penalized and suspended just for playing the game. The off the field discipline rules I hate bc they are UnAmerican to me. The players need to make sure they’re changed and if I were them, I’d strike over it if I had too, the league has too much power right now. Players in the NFL are guilty before proven innocent by the league and public opinion. They’re suspended before the court system even rules on their cases, that’s wrong.

Nope. Would not have happened without the NFLPA signing off on it in exchange for a modest increase in the cap (it would've been flat that year). Without the PA signing off, the league cant punish us without fear of getting sued for collusion.

The PA even then tried to play off both sides by suing later and the judge threw it out because they had agreed not to when they accepted the deal.

As for the rest of it? Don't care. The Redskins were literally finding ways to pay more $$ to players in an uncapped season...something the NFLPA and players said they wanted...and then after getting it from us, they betray us  for more $$ in the cap.

I wouldve backed the NFLPA on collusion. I don't back the NFLPA because it stabbed us in the back. And because they did that, I hope they get rolled every CBA.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Nope. Would not have happened without the NFLPA signing off on it in exchange for a modest increase in the cap (it would've been flat that year). Without the PA signing off, the league cant punish us without fear of getting sued for collusion.

The PA even then tried to play off both sides by suing later and the judge threw it out because they had agreed not to when they accepted the deal.

As for the rest of it? Don't care. The Redskins were literally finding ways to pay more $$ to players in an uncapped season...something the NFLPA and players said they wanted...and then after getting it from us, they betray us  for more $$ in the cap.

I wouldve backed the NFLPA on collusion. I don't back the NFLPA because it stabbed us in the back. And because they did that, I hope they get rolled every CBA.

I do not, but nice conspiracy theory.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

While the cap penalty hurt Shanahan, it was exacerbated by the fact that he mostly failed at drafting and developing his players except for TWill, Kerrigan and RBs.

The team as currently constructed has a lot of young and developing talent. They’ve drafted pretty well since 2014 and definitely since Scot came here and coached the scouting dept etc on how to scout players properly. 

Carrying Smith’s contract the next two years still hurts - whether he retires or not - but we have a lot of young talent and have been drafting and developing players pretty well for 5 years so, it’s not going to affect us as much as the cap penalty did in 2012 & 13.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I know what happened, I just don’t like how you’re biased against the NFLPA.

Because they are the key reason why we got punished. 

Without them going along for a higher cap to save Dee Smith's job, the NFL could not have punished us. 

Why I'm pissed at them?

1) We used the uncapped year exactly like they wanted an NFL team to use it.

2) They got that from us for their members

3) Then the league wanted to punish us and couldn't do it without the NFLPA signing off on it in the new CBA.

4) They agreed to do it because otherwise the cap # stayed flat (or went down). This saved Dee Smith's job.

5) So they got us to do what they wanted in an uncapped year. And then helped punish us in order to get more $$ from the NFL.

6) The kicker is that after all of the above, they still had the gall to try to sue the NFL for collusion. They knew about the collusion when they agreed to punish us. But signed off on it anyway to get more $$. And then still tried to go after the NFL for more $$. That's like trying to get paid 3x for the work of someone else.

Yeah, I don't know WHY anyone would be mad about that. So yeah, screw the NFLPA. I hope they get rolled EVERY time the CBA negotiations come up. Had they been standup guys (supporting a team that was actually doing something pro-union in the uncapped year) and not gone along with our punishment, I would've been solidly in their camp. But since they want to screw us over for their own gain? Screw 'em.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

While the cap penalty hurt Shanahan, it was exacerbated by the fact that he mostly failed at drafting and developing his players except for TWill, Kerrigan and RBs.

The team as currently constructed has a lot of young and developing talent. They’ve drafted pretty well since 2014 and definitely since Scot came here and coached the scouting dept etc on how to scout players properly. 

Carrying Smith’s contract the next two years still hurts - whether he retires or not - but we have a lot of young talent and have been drafting and developing players pretty well for 5 years so, it’s not going to affect us as much as the cap penalty did in 2012 & 13.

Damn right it hurts, it's 11% of the cap.  So let's suck it up, tank for a year, get a top 5 (likely top 3) pick in each round, and that's a surefire way to put some more talent on this roster.  

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Damn right it hurts, it's 11% of the cap.  So let's suck it up, tank for a year, get a top 5 (likely top 3) pick in each round, and that's a surefire way to put some more talent on this roster.  

I don’t think this current roster of Redskins can tank, unless we let both Scherff/Ioannidis walk (not even sure that does it) start cutting guys and trading them off which, will really put us in more salary cap hell bc some of those guys like PRich will have their guaranteed money accelerated and we’d basically be paying them to leave.

Even if Alex is gone/retired, if we have Guice back next year and Colt is our QB I still think we’re around an 8-8 team bc of the young talent we have spread through out our team, especially on our DL and we’re going to add a few more pieces next draft.

I just don’t see the Redskins as being bottom feeders next year even if Colt is our starter, believe it or not, we’ve actually drafted too well the last 4/5 years for that to happen IMO.

Archived