Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Guys...acknowledge there is an incident that could lead to suspension. And leave it at that. Keep it to how its going to affect the team on the field, please. 

You know the drill by now

And...this is supposed to be a thread about Alex Smith...correct?

After being there in person for the Smith injury, I'm flat out refusing to watch the replays of the McKenzie Milton injury.  Even though it's a different injury, I can't watch another brutal injury like that.  At least Smith has a contract that has him set for life if he can't play again.  

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Guys...acknowledge there is an incident that could lead to suspension. And leave it at that. Keep it to how its going to affect the team on the field, please. 

You know the drill by now

And...this is supposed to be a thread about Alex Smith...correct?

Scene: Dinner table. Wozphoon and his family sitting around having a nice meal. Wozphoon's phone buzzes. He ignores it.

WozphoonWife: "Honey do you need to get that?"

Wozphoon: "No, it's probably nothing."

Phone buzzes again. Curiosity gets the best of him. Wozphoon looks at his phone. It's an ESPN alert. Wozphoon's face goes from the joyful smile he had just a second ago to one of disgust.

WozphoonWife: "It's them again, isn't it? That darn organization did it again didn't they?"

Wozphoon: "Yes..."

WozphoonWife: "What's it say"

Wozphoon: "It says (insert awful Redskins organization blunder of the week)"

WozphoonWife: NlHr81y.gif

Wozphoon: "Honey I've got to-"

WozphoonWife: "I know."

Wozphoon leaps from the table, ripping open his shirt to reveal his alter ego "The Modskinator". With amazing speed, he is at the computer logging on to FootballsFuture. Chaos has already erupted. The back and forth... has begun. This is only a job our hero(es) can handle.

At least, this is how I always imagined it went.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Scene: Dinner table. Wozphoon and his family sitting around having a nice meal. Wozphoon's phone buzzes. He ignores it.

WozphoonWife: "Honey do you need to get that?"

Wozphoon: "No, it's probably nothing."

Phone buzzes again. Curiosity gets the best of him. Wozphoon looks at his phone. It's an ESPN alert. Wozphoon's face goes from the joyful smile he had just a second ago to one of disgust.

WozphoonWife: "It's them again, isn't it? That darn organization did it again didn't they?"

Wozphoon: "Yes..."

WozphoonWife: "What's it say"

Wozphoon: "It says (insert awful Redskins organization blunder of the week)"

WozphoonWife: NlHr81y.gif

Wozphoon: "Honey I've got to-"

WozphoonWife: "I know."

Wozphoon leaps from the table, ripping open his shirt to reveal his alter ego "The Modskinator". With amazing speed, he is at the computer logging on to FootballsFuture. Chaos has already erupted. The back and forth... has begun. This is only a job our hero(es) can handle.

At least, this is how I always imagined it went.

Its like you're in my house...

41 minutes ago, Slateman said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/burgundyblog/status/1070471281202601989?s=21

I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't sound good to me.

Know what that is? They cut him open, again. The Ortho commenting on the tweet was right. "Intervention" is irrigation and debridement.

I'll give you an example of how that plays out. After the fire that eventually claimed my FatherInLaw's life, my Mother In Law (MIL) had an infection in her pinky finger (from cutting it trying to get him out of the house and then not paying attention to it while he was in hospice).

The finger got massively infected. It swelled up 3x the normal size due to that infection. In order to save her finger, they literally had to slice it open (debridement) like a freakin' hot dog at the end and she had to soak the finger in this pool of antiseptic/antibiotic liquid for hours (Irrigation).

She then had to have a weekly course of antibiotics (at first it was twice weekly) delivered via IV for the better part of a year.

So if you think that is gross (and it is), just realize that I actually witnessed it. 

So back to Alex, this means that they cut open the infected area and did basically the same thing as my MIL

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Know what that is? They cut him open, again. The Ortho commenting on the tweet was right. "Intervention" is irrigation and debridement.

I'll give you an example of how that plays out. After the fire that eventually claimed my FatherInLaw's life, my Mother In Law (MIL) had an infection in her pinky finger (from cutting it trying to get him out of the house and then not paying attention to it while he was in hospice).

The finger got massively infected. It swelled up 3x the normal size due to that infection. In order to save her finger, they literally had to slice it open (debridement) like a freakin' hot dog at the end and she had to soak the finger in this pool of antiseptic/antibiotic liquid for hours (Irrigation).

She then had to have a weekly course of antibiotics (at first it was twice weekly) delivered via IV for the better part of a year.

So if you think that is gross (and it is), just realize that I actually witnessed it. 

So back to Alex, this means that they cut open the infected area and did basically the same thing as my MIL

Gee, thanks a lot.  

This is goes back to my original point- no one knows any sort of timeline for him coming back, or how he's going to be affected by things moving forward.  It's a shame, and I hope there is no risk of him losing a limb or anything and that he can live a normal life like Theismann was able to do.  

I know that one doctor gave a reasonably hopeful timeline, but honestly, it would be amazing if Alex Smith ever takes a snap again regardless of who it is with.

If he does, I will cheer for him.

And then go right back to criticizing him for dumping the ball underneath. Because you know that's going to be what happens.

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

I know that one doctor gave a reasonably hopeful timeline, but honestly, it would be amazing if Alex Smith ever takes a snap again regardless of who it is with.

If he does, I will cheer for him.

And then go right back to criticizing him for dumping the ball underneath. Because you know that's going to be what happens.

I just have two words for the dump offs .. Mo Harris

I hate to be the guy that brings this up. But say this infection is career ending for Alex Smith.. does he still count against our cap until his guarantees are up? I certainly want the man to get paid, he got hurt playing for us. But I'm curious if there is any cap exempt rule or not? Or would he just ride out on the bench until his guarantees are up and then retire? What are the logistics of this?

6 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I hate to be the guy that brings this up. But say this infection is career ending for Alex Smith.. does he still count against our cap until his guarantees are up? I certainly want the man to get paid, he got hurt playing for us. But I'm curious if there is any cap exempt rule or not? Or would he just ride out on the bench until his guarantees are up and then retire? What are the logistics of this?

Yes. He counts against our cap. 

20 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Bruce Allen gave him a contract with injury guaranteed money.  So Alex Smith gets that money regardless of whether he plays another down for the Redskins (and yes it counts against he cap).  

20 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

As others have said, his monies will count against the cap. How it will work depends on how they handle him.

Option A: Cut him outright in March. This is the most aggressive option, and it accelerates all of his guaranteed monies onto the 2019 cap. Because of that, the most unlikely possibility.

Option B: Cut him in March as a "June cut" / wait until after June to cut him. This would mean he would be dead cap for his 2019 monies in 2019, and all of his future monies in future years. Only reason to do it this way is if he says he's retiring and ain't coming back. Ever.

Option C: Put him on the PUP list and cross your fingers. Since his monies are guaranteed anyway, parking him on the PUP and hoping against hope that he can come back mid-2019 makes a little sense from a financial perspective. This is what I suspect they will do.

Assuming he doesn't come back from this injury, I suspect they'll treat him as a June cut in 2020. He'll still count $21.4M against the cap that year, but that's a sunk cost. He would then be a $5.4M dead cap charge in 2021 and 2022. Maybe they PUP him a second time and just wait until 2021?

Archived