Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

15 minutes ago, MosEisley said:

pre-game Jay Glazer said Smiths recovery time would be 8 to 10 months.

Everyone is reporting something different.  One of the doctors who writes his own column (it was linked here earlier in the week) said 6-9 months.  

The bottom line that I've been saying: no one knows for sure.  It's got to heal first, then Smith has to begin rehab.  The only thing we know for sure is that we have to deal with Smith's cap hit this year.  Other than that, we should prepare as if he is not a part of the team, and anything  else he provides is gravy. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Everyone is reporting something different.  One of the doctors who writes his own column (it was linked here earlier in the week) said 6-9 months.  

The bottom line that I've been saying: no one knows for sure.  It's got to heal first, then Smith has to begin rehab.  The only thing we know for sure is that we have to deal with Smith's cap hit this year.  Other than that, we should prepare as if he is not a part of the team, and anything  else he provides is gravy. 

This is what I don't get is the time frame they give for it to heal or does that include rehab as well. But yes I agree the best course of action is prep if he won't be there, but his cap number will. Probably need to draft a QB at some point in the draft.

10 minutes ago, MosEisley said:

This is what I don't get is the time frame they give for it to heal or does that include rehab as well. But yes I agree the best course of action is prep if he won't be there, but his cap number will. Probably need to draft a QB at some point in the draft.

Again, I think no one really knows.  Like Theismann, his leg could end up shorter than it was before, so he's got to essentially learn how to drop back and run again.  It's also his plant and pivot foot that was hurt.  Lots of things could be at play before this is all said and done.  

10 hours ago, Slateman said:

Gonna cost more though 

So what? If he plays himself into a raise, why should we care? If he gets a new contract it still won’t be outlandish, no one is looking to pay Colt a huge long term deal, this is a nothingburger.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So what? If he plays himself into a raise, why should we care? If he gets a new contract it still won’t be outlandish, no one is looking to pay Colt a huge long term deal, this is a nothingburger.

I agree. If he plays reasonably well, I don't have a problem giving him a raise. Its not going to be a mega contract.

Archived