Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So what? If he plays himself into a raise, why should we care? If he gets a new contract it still won’t be outlandish, no one is looking to pay Colt a huge long term deal, this is a nothingburger.

Cus we're already paying Smith a crap  ton of money. 

8 minutes ago, Slateman said:

It's a tough decision.  That couple million could fill another roster spot.  However, if Smith is focused on his rehab, and we draft someone who needs to learn this offense, McCoy is a valuable piece to have in that QB's ear translating the playbook and helping them learn.  Even if we change coaches, having that kind of influence is a big deal.  

13 hours ago, Slateman said:

Not really, Smith is going to get paid $20.4 million next year, that’s still cheaper than we were paying Kirk in 2017.

If Colt gets a raise, it won’t be much of a raise. No one is lining up to pay Colt even average starter money.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Not really, Smith is going to get paid $20.4 million next year, that’s still cheaper than we were paying Kirk in 2017.

If Colt gets a raise, it won’t be much of a raise. No one is lining up to pay Colt even average starter money.

If he goes 4-1 or 3-2 the rest of the way, there won't be a shortage of interest.  Any team looking for a stop-gap will be all over it.  Redskins would be wise to pick up the option or whatever it is

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If he goes 4-1 or 3-2 the rest of the way, there won't be a shortage of interest.  Any team looking for a stop-gap will be all over it.  Redskins would be wise to pick up the option or whatever it is

Fine, this is how I’ll prove it to you, list teams that would be interested in Colt as their starter:

Also, don’t forget there will be 3 or 4 QBs go in round 1 in the 2019 draft, so ... I’ll wait. 

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Colt is camp fodder. I like the guy and he was awesome in college but this team needs a young QB on the roster behind Smith developing. Having three 30+ year old QBs who have zero upside helps the future of this franchise in no way. They have to draft a young QB. 

Every single year people claim it’s a bad QB class and almost every time there’s two or three good QBs that come out of that so-called bad draft. You zero in on a QB, pick him and then let Smith teach him how to be a pro. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Colt is camp fodder. I like the guy and he was awesome in college but this team needs a young QB on the roster behind Smith developing. Having three 30+ year old QBs who have zero upside helps the future of this franchise in no way. They have to draft a young QB. 

Every single year people claim it’s a bad QB class and almost every time there’s two or three good QBs that come out of that so-called bad draft. You zero in on a QB, pick him and then let Smith teach him how to be a pro. 

Agree about Colt (for the most part, I do think he’s a fine backup, but absolutely not remotely close to a decent starting option). Agree that the right play given our current situation is to look for a QB to develop behind Smith. 

But I would say that I think there are absolutely bad QB drafts. In fact, I think most drafts are bad QB drafts (especially outside the top 5 picks). 

In the last 10 years or so, you had the epic QB draft of 2012 which was very deep AND strong at the top. Then you had 2014, which does sorta match your description, with Bridgewater and Derek Carr and Jimmy G coming off the board after the top 5. But aside from that? Here are the QBs taken from pick 5 to the end of Round 4 in each:

Flacco, B. Brohm, Henne, O’Connell, Booty

Sanchez, J. Freeman, P. White, S. McGee

Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, M. Kafka

Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Mallett

E.J. Manuel, G. Smith, Glennon, Barkley, Nassib, T. Wilson, L. Jones

G. Grayson, S. Mannion, B. Petty, B. Hundley 

P. Lynch, Hackenberg, J. Brissett, C. Kessler, C. Cook

For the most part, if a QB isn’t good enough to earn consideration in the top 10, he’s probably not good enough to make it. Especially in this new era of technology where every prospect is evaluated to death. You have some exceptions (Wilson, Cousins, Flacco, Dalton I guess), but for the most part you’re not getting much QB depth in the draft anymore. 

Which is why I think if you’re gonna take a shot on a speculation bet like a developmental QB prospect, you should make sure you’re not pouring a lot of money/value into that bet. I like the 3rd or especially 4th round for a QB in this draft. Get the team stronger on days one and two, then come back at the beginning of day three and grab a guy with some talent and intangibles that you like to sit and learn for a year or two. 

E, I like Grier as our developmental guy. If you can get him in the third that would be perfect. I think we could get Mack Wilson in the first and hopefully Hollywood Brown in the second. Your two thirds could go to QB and OG. At least that’s how I’d like to see things play out but Swear or Wilson in the first is a must for me. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

E, I like Grier as our developmental guy. If you can get him in the third that would be perfect. I think we could get Mack Wilson in the first and hopefully Hollywood Brown in the second. Your two thirds could go to QB and OG. At least that’s how I’d like to see things play out but Swear or Wilson in the first is a must for me. 

I don’t think Grier makes it to the 3rd, I think we’d have to take him in the 2nd and possibly even have to trade up in the 2nd to draft depending on if we do win the division or not.

I’d really like to take an OG in round 2. I just think having a good LG is something we’ve been waiting for since 2014, I’m tired of waiting, even if that means we have to wait to take a developmental QB in round 3 or 4 that isn’t of Grier’s caliber.

I don’t think there’s any way that Hollywood Brown falls to round 2. He’s the 2nd or 3rd best WR prospect in their draft, he’s going to go in the 2nd half of the first in my eyes.

I do agree that I’d really like to go ILB in round 1 if there is one worth taking when we select.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

That would be an absolute dream draft for me. 

I think Hollywood probably sneaks into the 1st round mix when we get to draft time (especially if his 40 time in shorts matches the speed he shows on the field). I would think late 1st, early 2nd for Mack Wilson too. It’s impossible to tell where QBs will go (unless it’s top 10), but it might be optimistic to hope Grier will make it to our 3rd as well. 

But the thing to keep in mind is our surplus of picks this year. The nice thing about having lots of picks isn’t just getting lots of players — it’s having the right ammunition to game the draft, to move around and get the players you’ve targeted at places where they’re good value. 

Depending on how we finish the season, we might be able to move back and get Hollywood Brown in the mid-20s (replacing the 4th we traded for H.H.C.D.) and then trade up from our 2nd rounder to (giving up our 3rd) to get Mack Wilson in the mid-30s, and then package our Cousins comp pick with the 4th we got in the trade for Hollywood to get Grier around pick 70 or so. 

No idea whether all those things will sound even remotely reasonable 5 months from now — just making the point that we’ve put ourselves in a good position to maneuever with our draft assets for once. 

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

That would be an absolute dream draft for me. 

I think Hollywood probably sneaks into the 1st round mix when we get to draft time (especially if his 40 time in shorts matches the speed he shows on the field). I would think late 1st, early 2nd for Mack Wilson too. It’s impossible to tell where QBs will go (unless it’s top 10), but it might be optimistic to hope Grier will make it to our 3rd as well. 

But the thing to keep in mind is our surplus of picks this year. The nice thing about having lots of picks isn’t just getting lots of players — it’s having the right ammunition to game the draft, to move around and get the players you’ve targeted at places where they’re good value. 

Depending on how we finish the season, we might be able to move back and get Hollywood Brown in the mid-20s (replacing the 4th we traded for H.H.C.D.) and then trade up from our 2nd rounder to (giving up our 3rd) to get Mack Wilson in the mid-30s, and then package our Cousins comp pick with the 4th we got in the trade for Hollywood to get Grier around pick 70 or so. 

No idea whether all those things will sound even remotely reasonable 5 months from now — just making the point that we’ve put ourselves in a good position to maneuever with our draft assets for once. 

That's really heavy on offense early, especially when you consider ROLB and CB could be glaring needs for us heading into the draft.  

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's really heavy on offense early, especially when you consider ROLB and CB could be glaring needs for us heading into the draft.  

They’re going to give Ryan Anderson every chance to earn that spot if they let Smith walk. They’ll treat it the same way they did with Trent Murphy/Preston Smith. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They’re going to give Ryan Anderson every chance to earn that spot if they let Smith walk. They’ll treat it the same way they did with Trent Murphy/Preston Smith. 

That still leaves us with no depth at a key position.  I don't see how we get around drafting an OLB in the first 3 rounds of this upcoming draft.  And you could argue CB becomes a first round need if Norman is cut.

50 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That still leaves us with no depth at a key position.  I don't see how we get around drafting an OLB in the first 3 rounds of this upcoming draft.  And you could argue CB becomes a first round need if Norman is cut.

Pretty easily, you re-sign Preston Smith and let Crowder walk because Quinn can probably replace him.

Archived