Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

6 hours ago, mar29020 said:

glad to know we had a 29 year old kirk cousins and now we are starting a career backup in colt because our 34 year old 111 mil dollar checkdown qb had his leg mangled. good job bruce!!

That could have easily been Cousins getting his leg mangled or even a 24 year old Peyton Manning. You don't plan for injuries and "blaming" someone is just stupid.

Things have also not been rosy in the land of 10,000 lakes. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Now, I know people think Alex will be ready around training camp, I wonder if that’s going to be the case. It could be a bit longer, especially mentally. It was devastating injury.

Yup. Like I said before, I'll be shocked if he's ready by Week 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Now, I know people think Alex will be ready around training camp, I wonder if that’s going to be the case. It could be a bit longer, especially mentally. It was devastating injury.

Honestly though, that's absolutely disgusting to think about, like I'm nauseous thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Like I said before, I'll be shocked if he's ready by Week 1

Actually I  will be shocked if he ever plays football again.  Not because he is not willing or the healing process with not be 100% but the fact that he will probably not be able to play next year either.  I think the Redskins will try everything to settle with him.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

More injury updates: it was a compound fracture, meaning the bone was sticking through the skin- same thing that Theismann had.  The emergency surgery happened due to the massive risk of infection that poses.  Modern medicine has advanced and while this injury may not be career threatening, it is going to be a tough road ahead for Smith.  One of the bones was also described as a spiral break- a long bone broken by rotational force.  

Yikes.  

https://www.healthline.com/health/spiral-fracture
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319174.php

Those are not happy reads from a recovery perspective. I wish Alex Smith well, but it looks like it's going to be a long and unfortunately quite painful process.

In total, it often takes between 4 and 6 months for a full recovery from a spiral fracture. Severe injuries may take as long as 18 months to heal properly.

While both articles mentioned the above, neither mentioned rehab time. I suppose that is included in the 4-6 month time frame?

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Question, if Alex comes back in March and is with us for another year, can we still get out of his contract before the league year starts in 2020?

Yes, if the Redskins are willing to eat his 2020 salary (it will fully guarantee in March 2019).

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Almost assuredly a PUP candidate.

Here's an article from Dr. David J Chao, former head physician of the San Diego Chargers. This article came AFTER the Schefter news. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-alex-smith-leg-fracture-rehab-redskins-1120-story.html

Given the quick surgical debridement and antibiotics, the chances of infection for Smith are less than one percent. Given the spiral fracture, the fracture surface is greater. That means there is a much higher chance of healing – one I would put at 99 percent.

Smith's fracture actually appears to be somewhere between Theismann's true transverse tib/fib fracture and the ankle fractures suffered by Raiders quarterback Derek Carr and Titans QB Marcus Mariota in 2016.

This is why I expect Smith, despite the fact he will be 35 next season, to continue his career. It has been reported he will need 6-8 months for recovery, which fits with my initial 6-9 month recovery timeline projection.

Even though Monday's revelations make Smith’s injury seem worse than initially reported, it really should not be seen that way. Any injury of this magnitude makes it potentially career threatening, but I am confident Smith can play again if he chooses.

Now, of course, different doctors have different opinions on these kinds of injuries but Dr. Chao is very well respected around the NFL community and does a great job of putting the injury into the context of the NFL. 

On 11/18/2018 at 9:28 PM, Skins212689 said:

I don't want a game manager at QB. I want a guy familiar with the West Coast offense Jay calls and has a chance to catch on quit just in case McCoy was to get hurt. Even if Colt wasn't to get hurt he'd know the offense and be a possible piece in going into next year as a backup or Colts pressure to play well. From what I see alot of guys on this form don't want a Super Bowl aka SB but just want to make the playoffs witch is sad and what I would change as a Owner if given the opportunity.

Image result for italien mobster ohhh gif

Not true. Some of us have been fans through the glory years and know what it takes to go to and win multiple super bowls. We aren't going to a super bowl this year either- have you seen what elite teams like the Rams and Saints are doing? Great coaches and great offensive minds, superstars on offense. We don't have any of that- the closest thing we have is a 33 year old Hall of Fame running back. Our Head Coach must have been dropped on his head repeatedly as a kid. 

We have been in the desert for 20+ years with an inept owner who hires inept people. Emerging Great people who are here? They leave. We don't attract top quality people because of the way we treat people. So getting to the playoffs this year is sort of a win for many of us long suffering fans. The NFC East is in a down year, we havent lost too many games and have over-performed all expectations to date.

The best analogy I can give you is: Its 3am in the morning and you're sitting on your stool at the bar, all the hotties have long been gone and its you, 15 other guys and one bartender who is a 6. Are you happy if you pull her? Its not a 10, but sometimes a 6 will float your boat. 

13 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

So getting to the playoffs this year is sort of a win for many of us long suffering fans. The NFC East is in a down year, we havent lost too many games and have over-performed all expectations to date.

This absolutely hits the nail on the head, Doc.

Is this the ultimate dream team for a football fan? Of course not. Are we winning the SB this year (with or without Smith)? Of course not. It's not going to be the ultimate glory for the Redskins this year. Everyone with any sense knows this. We're a pass-rusher, at least one WR (probably two), at least one ILB, one OL, probably one CB, and a whole hell of a lot of better health away from being in shouting distance of truly contending -- and honestly, though I like the guy and think he's a winner, the QB we have is probably not winning any SBs unless we fill all of those holes with good-to-great talent.

So what should one do? Look at our team that 3 days ago was 6-3 with a two game lead in the division -- and be miserable? I know many have chosen to do that, and that's their choice I guess, but I watch football for fun. For enjoyment. I don't want to watch my team win and be *IN* the playoffs if the season ended today, and yet be upset because we aren't good enough to win it all. I don't want to watch them win an absolute effing miracle of a game like TB, and yet be bummed because we probably didn't play well enough to deserve a win. I don't want to watch them scrap their ***** off to overcome absurd injuries and still pull out some gutty victories, and yet be down in the dumps because it's clear we aren't a truly elite team as currently constituted.

Of course I want them to get better. Of course I want them to be the best team out there. I want them to add anybody -- at any position -- who will make them better and help them become the best. But I also like watching the Redskins win, right now, and I want to see them go as far as they can this year. It's not THE win, but like Doc said, it's sort of A win.

Archived