Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I guess. It was kind of what I think @Thaiphoon said where Jordan read the coverage and stopped to find the opening. He left it at that.

Maybe, but we don’t know the playcall and what route Reed was supposed to run. Heck, neither do Trent Green and Cooley readily admits he doesn’t know the play calls, he says guessing on that.

So yeah...

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Question, if Alex comes back in March and is with us for another year, can we still get out of his contract before the league year starts in 2020?

From Spotrac's Monday Morning article:

The Redskins’ playoff hopes took a major hit when franchise QB Alex Smith suffered a gruesome leg injury against the surging Houston Texans. Smith is of course in year 1 of a 5 year, $111M contract in Washington. He’s earning $40M of that this year, and is locked in for $71M over the next three seasons - all of which is guaranteed for injury. The Redskins’ have a potential out after the 2020 season ($13.5M of dead cap). There’s no timetable for Smith’s return yet, but a full comeback for an injury of this stature to a 34-year-old will be a tough road.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/monday-morning-financial-round-up-814/

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, but we don’t know the playcall and what route Reed was supposed to run. Heck, neither do Trent Green and Cooley readily admits he doesn’t know the play calls, he says guessing on that.

So yeah...

Did you not just blame Reed not two posts ago? "At best"

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So yeah...

Actually Cooley admits he doesnt know specific calls. But he does know the offense and he does know the routes. This was Alex pulling the trigger too fast on a throw. Which he likes to do often.

The route Reed ran was basically a curl but it shakes 5he defender off because it takes them from inside leverage and draws them to the corner and then crosses them up.

Its a standard route. Alex was too busy trying to get rid of the ball...

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

More injury updates: it was a compound fracture, meaning the bone was sticking through the skin- same thing that Theismann had.  The emergency surgery happened due to the massive risk of infection that poses.  Modern medicine has advanced and while this injury may not be career threatening, it is going to be a tough road ahead for Smith.  One of the bones was also described as a spiral break- a long bone broken by rotational force.  

Yikes.  

Thats interesting cause it didnt look like a compound fracture, but I guess even if a sliver of bone pokes through the skin, then you have to call it compound. 

I have had a spiral break before and actually, spiral breaks are an easy fix with pins. Spiral breaks are smoother and tend to be easier to align and pin for the bone to heal. At least that is what my surgeon had told me years ago. 

Archived