Jameis named the starter again

ravishingone

21 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Kind of odd the Team website makes the announcement after the Koetter press conference.  IIRC, Koetter made the annoucement to Fitz after the Cincy game.  Just more dysfunction on display and only reinforces a regime change is near.

It’d a weird way of doing it, but if we take it at face value, it’s fair enough that he hadn’t had the chance to speak to the individuals first.

I think this move is the right decision. Worst case scenario, Winston plays terribly and we know we’ll move on from him at the end of the year. Best case, he is consistent and shows he can still be the future.

Answers on a postcard as to which one is most likely...

30 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

It’d a weird way of doing it, but if we take it at face value, it’s fair enough that he hadn’t had the chance to speak to the individuals first.

I think this move is the right decision. Worst case scenario, Winston plays terribly and we know we’ll move on from him at the end of the year. Best case, he is consistent and shows he can still be the future.

Answers on a postcard as to which one is most likely...

In the end it was the right decision.  Do I believe Koetter received a message to make the swich?  Yes, I do and frankly at this point Koetter needs to start showing an ability to make sound decisions to secure his next job.  He won t get a HC job and it sure looks like he is the 2nd best OC on staff.  

As far as the evaluation for Winston, I m not going to gain much on the field.  Will the bombs away approach change?  RG get better?  By him sitting and how ever he handled the demotion behind closed doors will probably determine more about him coming back then his on field play for a lame duck HC.  I have no idea how he handled the demotion, it is all speculation out there.

18 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

In the end it was the right decision.  Do I believe Koetter received a message to make the swich?  Yes, I do and frankly at this point Koetter needs to start showing an ability to make sound decisions to secure his next job.  He won t get a HC job and it sure looks like he is the 2nd best OC on staff.  

As far as the evaluation for Winston, I m not going to gain much on the field.  Will the bombs away approach change?  RG get better?  By him sitting and how ever he handled the demotion behind closed doors will probably determine more about him coming back then his on field play for a lame duck HC.  I have no idea how he handled the demotion, it is all speculation out there.

I think you can gain enough from film to take a view, certainly if you’re an incoming GM/ HC.

If I’m a GM or coach coming in, right now I’m finding it difficult to evaluate Winston. Which film do I base it on? The 2015/6 film when he was only just in the league? The first part of 2017 where he played most of the season with an injured throwing shoulder? The last few games of 2017 where he played well for the most part? The 2018 where he was coming off of a suspension and not mentally there?

If Winston plays another game like he did v Cincinnati, then he’s done here. Equally, if he plays even average football, then I think it’s likely to get him another year with the new staff.

Looking at this objectively, a new coach coming in has a player capable of being a franchise QB, who is young enough to get better and who he is only tied to for a season. You also get to blame any failure in year 1 on that QB. Given how bad the QB class looks this year, that may not be the worst situation for a HC at all. 

26 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Over/under 2.5 games before Fitz starts again.

He should be starting the rest of the way, for better or worse. Fitz isn’t the long term answer at the position and Koetter is done anyway.

The best long term move for the franchise is to start Winston. The sooner the Winston era either catches on fire or flames out, the better.

16 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

He should be starting the rest of the way, for better or worse. Fitz isn’t the long term answer at the position and Koetter is done anyway.

The best long term move for the franchise is to start Winston. The sooner the Winston era either catches on fire or flames out, the better.

I agree. But Koetter has been an idiot about it this year. So I figure we'll get Fitz at least one more time.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I agree. But Koetter has been an idiot about it this year. So I figure we'll get Fitz at least one more time.

We probably will, but if you’re the Glazers and you want your new staff getting a head start, you ought to be doing some meddling to save Koetter from himself.

As @ravishingone mentioned, you have to question Koetter’s ability to make rational decisions if he benches Winston for Fitz again.

Benching him for Griffin is another matter though...

16 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

We probably will, but if you’re the Glazers and you want your new staff getting a head start, you ought to be doing some meddling to save Koetter from himself.

As @ravishingone mentioned, you have to question Koetter’s ability to make rational decisions if he benches Winston for Fitz again.

Benching him for Griffin is another matter though...

Ryan Griffen the 29 yr old back up who for some reason is the pet project of Koetter.  Anything is possible, but at least Tim Rattay had a few decent games with the Niners to warrant a little bit of hope under Gruden.  For me, Griffen is a lesser version of Charlie Whitehurst aka Quarterback Jesus 😎.  

I would feel better considering Winston a bust if he had one year in the pros under another coaching staff.  And I do hope it happens with the Bucs.  I have zero interest in Teddy, who is everyone s favorite back up.  Foles the last 2 training camps had to be shut down for body soreness.  How is either guy going to survive 16 games? Carr at 25 million better option and giving up a draft pick better then Winston?  I guess one could make that argument.  No new regime is coming in here with expectation we need to suck so we can possibly go after Tua in 19.  So it comes down to 1 year of Winston or over drafting a QB in this draft, which is very deep in defensive prospects.  And as we know our defense is horrible.

13 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Did you ever seem to think that Koetter benched jameis to save him mentally? I mean in less than 4 games he threw 10 picks which shoulda been 14. At that rate he was going to shatter records in the wrong way and Koetters job was at stake as well. I’m not even a Winston guy due to his off field behavior for the most part , but I also think the off field behavior tying to the bad play on the field is another reason koetter benched him. You hurt the team getting suspended, then you come out throwing picks ? 

Yeah you can laugh and say he’s sitting and learning from Fitz. But maybe benching him 3 games to get his mind right ? 

In my opinion him and Fitzpatrick are the same QB. Can “Licht” you up one week then give it away the next few. 

I still saw 2 errant throws and a fumble in the endzone that makes me think he got lucky as much as he was good in NY. The throws into triple coverage need to stop and they haven’t.  

When you have musical QBs you don’t have one. 

Archived