How Defensive has this Defense been

rusty28264

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Even at full strength, I don't trust this defense to stop New Orleans, KC and either team from LA.

Hmmmm....we pretty much did stop New Orleans or at the very least kept them in check. The Rams game was an anomaly, they've since lost Kupp and we've made significant strides/adjustments since that game. Blessing in disguise they exposed us if you ask me. I'll give you KC though. 

29 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Even at full strength, I don't trust this defense to stop New Orleans, KC and either team from LA.

They did stop New Orleans (don't confuse the fact that they lost the game with their defensive performance as they held Drew Brees to his lowest number of passing yds in a full game in 14 years)...and I have complete faith that they can stop KC (the Chiefs have yet to play a defense as sound as the Vikings) and slow down both LA teams.  This defense is beginning to hit its stride.    

Last season, it was the Vikings’ third-down defense that was the envy of the rest of the NFL. This season, it’s their blitz packages that have been stifling opposing quarterbacks better than any other team in the league.

The biggest thing for the Vikings’ blitzes is the element of surprise. The Vikings’ 25.2% blitz rate is actually slightly below the league average of 27.0%. They’re not adding an extra man regularly because they lack the ability to get home with four; they’re using it as a sporadic weapon in their arsenal. Because of that, their blitz packages have generated pressure a ridiculous 48.5 percent of the time (league average is 41.8 percent). When they don’t blitz, that figure is only 32.6 percent (league average is 30.0 percent).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-mike-zimmer-pulls-the-strings-for-the-best-blitzing-football-team-in-the-nfl 

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

They did stop New Orleans (don't confuse the fact that they lost the game with their defensive performance as they held Drew Brees to his lowest number of passing yds in a full game in 14 years)...and I have complete faith that they can stop KC (the Chiefs have yet to play a defense as sound as the Vikings) and slow down both LA teams.  This defense is beginning to hit its stride.    

Color me skeptical.  The Bears game was an eye opener for me. We had trouble with Trubisky's running, yet the first half he was also exposing the Viking secondary.  As to New Orleans I think the Saints offensive line has improved since the Vikings game and they were already pretty good.

38 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Color me skeptical.  The Bears game was an eye opener for me. We had trouble with Trubisky's running, yet the first half he was also exposing the Viking secondary.  

Exposed how?

Trubisky only had 2 completions for more than 15 yards, and only one throw longer than 12 yards was completed — the TD that Miller only barely scooped off the grass.

B554721-D-848-E-4133-A3-BB-FF92-B2-B76-B

The Vikings intercepted him twice, and would’ve had 3 picks and likely a pick 6 if Rhodes hadn’t dropped this:

We did great job against Saints...held Brees to by far his lowest yards of the season...what messed up against Saints was our stupid turnovers...literally gifted 14 points for Saints. And yeah if you watched decent number of Bears games this season, then you realize that almost every team which faced Bears had a lot of trouble with Trubisky's running...Trubisky is probably only behind Cam right now in running among QBs

Archived