Jaguars Fire Hackett

pwny

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Ya'll normally have done well after changes.  Maybe get 3-4 more wins to finish the season. 

Crazy how quick things changes. I recall the playoff game, the announcers praising the attack on the Patriots.  

Pretty depressing really...

QB goes from average/solid to garbo and all the injuries stacking up/players regressing on offense pretty much did us in. 

I hope we stick to 5, maybe 6 wins or below. Would be nice to get back on track for next year hopefully, but I also want to be in range for a QB. People are hating on this class more than it deserves imo. Not last years class, and there's more risk, but there's no reason at this point that a guy like Herbert, Haskins, or maybe Jones. Than there's guys like Lock who at least bring some serious raw upside.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty depressing really...

QB goes from average/solid to garbo and all the injuries stacking up/players regressing on offense pretty much did us in. 

I hope we stick to 5, maybe 6 wins or below. Would be nice to get back on track for next year hopefully, but I also want to be in range for a QB. People are hating on this class more than it deserves imo. Not last years class, and there's more risk, but there's no reason at this point that a guy like Herbert, Haskins, or maybe Jones. Than there's guys like Lock who at least bring some serious raw upside.

I'm afraid (not afraid really, figure of speech sorry.lol)  but I am wondering if the window opened and closed quickly for your team. I think it's safe to say an offensive overhaul is needed, but the defense may have missed it's window. I was very skeptical that the defense would be able to repeat last year's performance. 
Still have staples on each level, but age and price will come into play.

I'm curious to see what direction you all go offensively. A young QB is needed of course, but will there be a coaching hire to match that? Stand pat with the offensive guys you have and hope for improvement/rebound. And along with that direction, will the defense be able to carry a fair load until the offense gets there? I don't think Marrone is the guy to lead this change. 

I'm afraid (For real this time.lol) the Colts are about to run this division once again, with the Luck/Reich combo and the rest of us will be fighting for that second spot. 

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm afraid (not afraid really, figure of speech sorry.lol)  but I am wondering if the window opened and closed quickly for your team. I think it's safe to say an offensive overhaul is needed, but the defense may have missed it's window. I was very skeptical that the defense would be able to repeat last year's performance. 
Still have staples on each level, but age and price will come into play.

I'm curious to see what direction you all go offensively. A young QB is needed of course, but will there be a coaching hire to match that? Stand pat with the offensive guys you have and hope for improvement/rebound. And along with that direction, will the defense be able to carry a fair load until the offense gets there? I don't think Marrone is the guy to lead this change. 

I'm afraid (For real this time.lol) the Colts are about to run this division once again, with the Luck/Reich combo and the rest of us will be fighting for that second spot. 

It very well may have. I just feel strongly about the young core of guys defensively. I dont think any team can win like we did last year with the way the rules are changing to favor the offense (pass offense in particular, which we have valued very little the past couple offseasons). I also believe this defense has shown times where they've given up this season. There just isn't' as much fire and passion when watching this team as last year it feels like. I think that directly coincides with Blake looking awful and them feeling no matter what they do, they can't win with how he's played at QB. 

I think a defensive core of Ramsey, Bouye, Yannick, and Jack we're set up well long-term. Not sure yet about Telvin after this year, Harrison has been very good when he's played but as pwny as stated, sometimes the guys either regress or coaching has failed us on players before so I can't put him in that category.

I think Marrone CAN be the guy to lead this change. I like the guy as a head coach, but the coordinators have largely been bad. Wash, even with our historic defense, was largely below average imo. Hackett I felt did solid with what he was given, but his scheme is so outdated with his run-first mindset. That is fine and how we're set up, but he's went too far that way when Fournette has been healthy and has sometimes led to our demise in games.

I think you may be right on the Colts. They finally got a competent GM that has been quite impressive in his drafting so far. They have the best QB in the division easily, and I like Reich a lot. Unless Mariota turns it around/you draft a guy, or we draft and hit on a guy, all the teams are likely fighting for 2nd as you state imo. The Texans are ok but also are held back by coaching and some of their core on defense is getting older. I do like what I've seen from Watson recently though and although I don't think he'll ever be a guy like he was last year, I do believe he's going to be a rock solid long-term guy for them. More than either of our teams can say, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Actually, cutting him before the new league year would eat away ~16.5 million in cap whereas if we wait to cut him, we will save ~4.5 million in cap (and a bit more if we designate him as post June 1st).

but I feel ya

I mean, wouldn't waiting til June 1st make the most sense?

I get that it would affect FA, but...

Just now, .Buzz said:

I mean, wouldn't waiting til June 1st make the most sense?

I get that it would affect FA, but...

Well, when you designate someone as June 1st you don't actually have to wait until June 1st. You can cut someone in March and designate them as a post-June 1st cut.

Yes, it doesn't make sense, but it's what typically is done.

Archived