Rivera reportedly on the hot-seat

iknowcool

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-owner-david-tepper-getting-antsy-mulling-new-hires-if-losing-continues/amp/

Tepper, who is considered incredibly bright and engaged and who the league very much wanted to take over another team after his years spent as a minority owner in Pittsburgh, came into the season comfortable with the team's coaching and management situation and was not looking to make moves, according to numerous sources familiar with his thinking, but has been reaching out increasingly to confidants and associates around the league in recent weeks and expressing a growing sense that he may need to shake up the organization. Tepper has been concerned about the lack of analytics in the franchise and has wondered whether the franchise was too old school in some regards, and the collapse of their defense and some recent in-game decisions by coach Ron Rivera have added to the unrest, the sources said. A loss to lowly Tampa Sunday – after three-straight defeats following a fast start – will only hasten the momentum, the sources said.

This is from Jason La Canfora so take it however you want.  This isn't surprising though.  Aside from how anyone feels about Rivera, there was always a strong possibility that Tepper wouldn't be 100% committed to this coaching staff considering he didn't hire them.

IMO, Rivera isn't a bad coach (middle of the pack) but as I said during the Philly game, his mindset is dated.  The defense is still as susceptible as they were in 2011 at giving up big plays in the worst moments, and now they are old, slow, and can't create pressure, turnovers, or a red-zone stop to make it worth it.  This isn't all on Rivera, as we simply don't have the talent on the defensive line, but it's disappointing how underwhelming this team is.  And his coordinator choices are sketchy.  It was obvious for years that Shula was hindering Newton and thankfully we finally brought in Turner, but now Eric Washington is a problem.  We're giving up 32.5 PPG in our last 4 games.

Do you all think Rivera deserves to get fired if we miss the playoffs?  And if so, who do you hope the teams looks at?  From what is being said, it sounds like Tepper would target a GM and HC combo (because Hurney, while I personally don't have any issues with any moves he's made since his return, would almost certainly be fired too) that favors analytics aka an offensive-minded HC.  In the event he's fired, we should be a popular team.  We've got the core players to compete and a lot of young talent on offense.

Eric Bieniemy is an interesting candidate, I think him w/ Reid's scheme would go well with the talent we have here (quick YAC receivers, a dynamic RB ala Hunt/Westbrook/McCoy, and a mobile QB who can make plays at every level of the field)

The defense is frustrating, but a little understandable considering the DC turnover. Offense took far too long to make a change, but usually looks much better this year with Turner. Just frustrating all around. I like Rivera, but he’s solid at best. We could do worse for sure, but he’s kind of uninspiring at this point.

Not sure if it’s coaching or GM yet.

We just lost our 4th straight game after starting 6-2, putting us back at .500.  We have almost nil chance of beating the Saints once, much less twice, and will probably finish 8-8 or 9-7.  There is a good chance Rivera's resume will read 3 winning seasons in 8 years. 

Inconsistent play masked by countless one score losses caused by poor clock/game management or mind-boggling/lackadaisical pass defense will define his tenure here.  I love Rivera as a person and he deserves another coaching opportunity, but there is no way we can bring him back.  

How would you guys feel about Mike McCarthy?

Retreads aren't always the favorites, but I really like McCarthy.  Even though he probably deserved to get fired from Green Bay, it feels like one of those situations where both sides needed a breath of fresh air.  He had an amazing track record with the Packers; on top of being responsible for coaching up Rodgers, he helped Favre reach one of his best years in awhile at the time in 2007.  I think he would be a REALLY good coach for Newton, and there is a lot of talent on this team that would gel in his system.

This reminds me of when Reid left Philly and went to KC.  Reid was always a great coach who needed to leave Philly. 

Right now McCarthy would be my #1 guy.  

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

How would you guys feel about Mike McCarthy?

Retreads aren't always the favorites, but I really like McCarthy.  Even though he probably deserved to get fired from Green Bay, it feels like one of those situations where both sides needed a breath of fresh air.  He had an amazing track record with the Packers; on top of being responsible for coaching up Rodgers, he helped Favre reach one of his best years in awhile at the time in 2007.  I think he would be a REALLY good coach for Newton, and there is a lot of talent on this team that would gel in his system.

This reminds me of when Reid left Philly and went to KC.  Reid was always a great coach who needed to leave Philly. 

Right now McCarthy would be my #1 guy.  

If the FO thinks we have the pieces to actually contend for a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years, McCarthy would be a good hire. Not sure if that's the general feeling though.

15 minutes ago, James said:

If the FO thinks we have the pieces to actually contend for a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years, McCarthy would be a good hire. Not sure if that's the general feeling though.

Meh. It’d probably be fine. But I have the inescapable feeling of meh.

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Meh. It’d probably be fine. But I have the inescapable feeling of meh.

Yeah, I wouldn't like it long-term, but compared to a new hire I think we could have much better showings over the first ~3 years. But if we don't think we're Super Bowl capable in that timeframe then it wouldn't be worth it.

2 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Yep.

Was coming here to post that. Article said Rivera is handling defensive playcalling. Is that new or has he been for a while? Can’t remember.

Yea, this is the first time he's done it.  I know he took over in the second half of the Bucs game, in which case our defense started to look a lot better.  

Archived