""... I learned from this...please believe me..." Randy Gregory

Texas_OutLaw7

Really emotional read on the guy. I am really pulling for him:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/25426510/dallas-cowboys-randy-gregory-talks-being-real-bad-place?sf203617403=1

He remembers about 15 men, most of them clad in dark suits. They looked like the feds.

The men worked swiftly, ushering him into one of the SUVs bound for the airport. They did not give him time to pack.

"You're better than this, Randy." But eventually, the words devolved to, "You're f---ing going!"

Moskowitz says Gregory is a great American comeback story. "It's f---ing 'Rudy' on steroids," he says. But for now, let's take his four sacks, 15 tackles and the sight of him exploding off the edge for what it is, a hopeful start. Gregory's story isn't just about where he has been; it's where he still has to go.

Randy Gregory tried marijuana, ... "I was stuck standing," he says. "I felt like if I moved, I was going to float away."

He eventually found comfort in that feeling, of things slowing down. He would eventually smoke marijuana by himself, believing it made him feel more normal.

Years later, a doctor at one of the treatment centers Gregory attended as an adult would say that Gregory experienced post-traumatic stress disorder from the bullying. He also has dealt with self-esteem issues, depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

"It was like I'm too proper for the black kids and too black for the white kids," Gregory says. "It was a different breed of guys, and a lot of times there I would be smoking by myself just to kind of get away from people."

He is convinced that the positive test isn't what turned teams off. No, Gregory believes a pre-draft questionnaire did him in. It asked whether he had ever been depressed or thought about killing himself. Gregory checked "yes" for both.

LOL:

He acknowledges that he made some bad first impressions, like the missed interview with the Oakland Raiders because he fell asleep at the airport gate. He headed to his next stop, San Diego, but his luggage headed to Oakland. The Chargers gave him some clothes to wear, and in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea to show up for the next interview in Arizona wearing Chargers gear.

Gregory sent a text to Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.

Gregory felt as if he had connected with the Cowboys. In the weeks before the draft, he had a heart-to-heart talk with owner Jerry Jones.

"He cried," Gregory says. "He said, 'I know what it's like to be publicly scrutinized.'"

Dallas selected him the following day in the second round, with the 60th overall pick. Gregory says the coaches printed out the text he'd sent Garrett on draft night and have reminded him about it over the years.

"... I learned from this," the text said. "I know players say things like this all the time, but with everything going on, I can really see how this can all go away in a minute. ... I know you can help me be great. Please believe in me!"

Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett spoke in support of Gregory. They're not giving up on him. The calendar turned to December, the one year-anniversary of Gregory hitting rock bottom. Maybe the penalties seemed smaller. Randy Gregory is playing football again. He's drawing a paycheck, and fighting to stay clean. It's December, and there's hope.

He was the last one in the green room. At 9:09 p.m., as the first night of the draft wound down, Gregory sent a text to Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.

Gregory felt as if he had connected with the Cowboys. In the weeks before the draft, he had a heart-to-heart talk with owner Jerry Jones.

"He cried," Gregory says. "He said, 'I know what it's like to be publicly scrutinized.'"

Dallas selected him the following day in the second round, with the 60th overall pick. Gregory says the coaches printed out the text he'd sent Garrett on draft night and have reminded him about it over the years.

"... I learned from this," the text said. "I know players say things like this all the time, but with everything going on, I can really see how this can all go away in a minute. ... I know you can help me be great. Please believe in me!"

Epic

Archived