Marcus Smith

MikeT14

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Totally agree, there’s no downside to signing Marcus Smith. Seattle did so in the offseason hoping to untapped his potential and get something out of it. Signing him in December and keeping him this offseason and developing him in our system in the spring and next summer could prove to be wise, most likely it doesn’t work out, but you just never know.

If that's the idea, why not sign someone off another team's practice squad? At the very least, the practice squaddie is more likely to be in game shape than a guy who has been sitting around since mid-August?

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article216899180.html

Does that sound like someone who is going to put in the time for the team?

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

If that's the idea, why not sign someone off another team's practice squad? At the very least, the practice squaddie is more likely to be in game shape than a guy who has been sitting around since mid-August?

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article216899180.html

See this is one of my biggest gripes in Bruce vs. Scotty Mac.  When Bruce brings in guys midseason he's trying to hit home runs.  You can see it in the acquisitions he makes, Marcus Smith (former 1st round pick), Reuben Foster (big name former 1st round pick), Ha Ha Clinton Dix (former first round pick).  Scotty Mac was ok just hitting singles, which usually led to better results: Mason Foster, Will Blackmon, etc.  These guys helped us win games instead of just being names.  

30 minutes ago, Woz said:

I’m fine with it. I think others are making much ado about nothing honestly. If he’s taking Ryan Anderson’s snaps, that’s not very many pass rushing snaps a game. If he shows anything at all, we can keep him for the 2019 offseason like we did with guys like Ziggy Hood and Phil Taylor to see if he can contribute anything in the 2019 offseason and possibly give us something next season.

As for what Scot Mc did, I remember him signing Will Blackmon when Chris Culliver got hurt and signing Pierre Thomas when Matt Jones got hurt and, I don’t remember for sure but I don’t think you complained much about it because of who made the signing... Scot vs Bruce.

Certainly in 2015 we could’ve not signed Blackmon or Thomas, but instead we could’ve went with young guys or a practice squad player from another team, same with signing Ziggy Hood and Phil Taylor.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:04 PM, MikeT14 said:

I don't remember Will Blackmon or Pierre Thomas being washed up 1st rounders who did nothing in their career, but sure. 

They were over the hill vets that weren’t re-signed both were street free agents though. Woz’s Point to me was more we should go with a young practice squad guy instead of a vet. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m fine with it. I think others are making much ado about nothing honestly. If he’s taking Ryan Anderson’s snaps, that’s not very many pass rushing snaps a game. If he shows anything at all, we can keep him for the 2019 offseason like we did with guys like Ziggy Hood and Phil Taylor to see if he can contribute anything in the 2019 offseason and possibly give us something next season.

If he's taking snaps after being on the street for three months, there's a real problem since he knows none of the playbook and may not be in shape.

Signings midseason need to be from the perspective: I need help right now. Don't worry about what they might give you in 2019 or beyond. If a guy is available in December, he's probably going to be available in January or February.

The difference between a December street free agent and a December practice squad guy is the PS guy is likely in shape. Both players should be willing to learn because this might be their one/last chance, but the track record on Marcus Smith doesn't look good on that front. In theory, the PS guy might not have learned a bunch of bad habits yet and can maybe moldable, but that's still hoping for a long shot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 3:45 PM, Woz said:

So Kapri Bibbs was cut either for Josh Holsey or Matt Flanangan? O ... kay ... I don't really understand that, but whatever.

Yeah, I’d certainly be down with going with 2 RB sets over 2 TE sets. Meaning, Bibbs over Flanagan for sure, at the least for special teams. I just don’t understand what hell they think/are dooooiiinnnngggg!! 😂 

On 12/22/2018 at 6:58 AM, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I’d certainly be down with going with 2 RB sets over 2 TE sets. Meaning, Bibbs over Flanagan for sure, at the least for special teams. I just don’t understand what hell they think/are dooooiiinnnngggg!! 😂 

The worrisome-but-obvious thing is they don't either.

Archived