What’s the biggest difference between this year and last years Jaguars?

patriotsheatyan

On 07/12/2018 at 1:06 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

How are they going to luck into Herbert?

Surely Herbert is going to whoever pays a kings ransom to San Francisco or Oakland for the 1st overall pick...

Unless the Jaguars trade up, they aren't going to come close to snagging Herbert. They could choose between Dwayne Haskins (if he declares) and Drew Lock, though, I guess...

Also say what you want about Bridgewater, but he's faaaar better than Kessler and Bortles. Coming off an AFC Championship game appearance where they proved their one liability was the QB position, why would they not make a move to sign him to compete with Bortles (or trade the Jets for him later on the offseason)?

Tbh, if drafting the first QB means taking Herbert, it might not be the worst thing to not luck into that.  xD

I don't really know that it's an absolute lock that Herbert is the first QB off the board anyway though.  It seems probably, but it wouldn't be inconceivable for someone like Haskins to go ahead of him.  I think Daniel Jones name should probably be thrown into the 1st round conversation too.  This time last year, i don't think the "consensus" projection would've had those 5 QBs going in the order they did.  Fan/Draftnik perceptions are usually still pretty fluid around this time of year.

I also don't know that's there's necessarily a guarantee that the Jaguars go straight out of the overdrafting Bortles experiment, directly into overdrafting the next guy.  It does seem likely, and it's probably with that high 1st round pick that they'll look to address the most glaring hole on their roster.  But in a draft like this, they'll have a very high 2nd round pick (which could get them into the back of the 1st easily enough)...and there are some guys who may fit the bill better on value in that sort of range.

As to management not bringing in any viable competition or "Plan B" in case Bortles fell flat on his face again...it's something that they're being deservedly shredded for.  It'd be really surprising if it doesn't cost the primary architect of that concept (GM Dave Caldwell, Bortles fanboi 4ever) his job.  It was completely frustrating watching them not even bother to take a shot on options like Bridgewater...and instead, bring in the cheapest, least threatening backup they could find in Cody Kessler.  They also rubbed salt in the wound by drafting the most inept, laughable project QB imaginable in Tanner Lee to "develop" on the PS.  B|

At the end of the day though, while Bridgewater is better than any QB on the Jaguars roster...there are more problems with the Jaguars roster than just the QB.  The way the OLine started to crumble when LT Cam Robinson went down (and the only other LT capable player on the entire roster in Josh Wells also went down immediately after).  Losing Marqise Lee (last year's top WR) for the year hurt too, because they did next to nothing to bolster an already underwhelming WR corps...and then lost the top guy to injury and others aren't good enough to step up.  This offense was going in the toilet even with Bridgewater at the helm, because they just didn't plan well enough for things to not go as unreasonably smoothly as last year.  Maybe Teddy fetches them a few extra wins...but this wasn't a playoff team this year, and ultimately...that'd probably have just moved them even further off a shot at Hebert (or whoever the object of their desire may be).  I don't think that excuses them going into the season with no realistic "backup plan" for Bortles sucking massively...but i also don't think it would've accomplished a lot either way.

On 07/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, Speedyg said:

This team can beat Miami and Washington.

I know they looked fugly last night,  but this is still the same team capable of holding a red hot Colts offense to zero points. 

The titans trounced the Jaguars week 17 last year too, then proceeded to beat Buffalo, Piitsburgh, and almost New England. 

What I'm saying is...throw out any game vs Tennessee when looking at the Jags. That team, regardless of who they have, or what year it is, somehow always brings out their best vs the Jaguars.

Really just depends on if the defense shows up, or if they've quit on the season as it looked on Thursday vs the Titans.  When they look inspired and go hard, this defense is still capable of almost singlehandedly holding them in a lot of games vs a lot of teams.  But if they've lost that brief spark of hope from a QB change in watching an offense that continues to be utterly worthless...we are also capable of losing out the entire rest of the season.  The offense certainly isn't going to keep us in anything if the defense stops caring.

They should never have put so much faith in Bortles. Yes there’s many other reasons, but they needed at least a game manager. Teddy Bridgewater might have done a decent job for them. He also could’ve put pressure on Blake. Ultimately a QB can carry or hinder a team in equal measure.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Tbh, if drafting the first QB means taking Herbert, it might not be the worst thing to not luck into that.  xD

I don't really know that it's an absolute lock that Herbert is the first QB off the board anyway though.  It seems probably, but it wouldn't be inconceivable for someone like Haskins to go ahead of him.  I think Daniel Jones name should probably be thrown into the 1st round conversation too.  This time last year, i don't think the "consensus" projection would've had those 5 QBs going in the order they did.  Fan/Draftnik perceptions are usually still pretty fluid around this time of year.

I also don't know that's there's necessarily a guarantee that the Jaguars go straight out of the overdrafting Bortles experiment, directly into overdrafting the next guy.  It does seem likely, and it's probably with that high 1st round pick that they'll look to address the most glaring hole on their roster.  But in a draft like this, they'll have a very high 2nd round pick (which could get them into the back of the 1st easily enough)...and there are some guys who may fit the bill better on value in that sort of range.

As to management not bringing in any viable competition or "Plan B" in case Bortles fell flat on his face again...it's something that they're being deservedly shredded for.  It'd be really surprising if it doesn't cost the primary architect of that concept (GM Dave Caldwell, Bortles fanboi 4ever) his job.  It was completely frustrating watching them not even bother to take a shot on options like Bridgewater...and instead, bring in the cheapest, least threatening backup they could find in Cody Kessler.  They also rubbed salt in the wound by drafting the most inept, laughable project QB imaginable in Tanner Lee to "develop" on the PS.  B|

At the end of the day though, while Bridgewater is better than any QB on the Jaguars roster...there are more problems with the Jaguars roster than just the QB.  The way the OLine started to crumble when LT Cam Robinson went down (and the only other LT capable player on the entire roster in Josh Wells also went down immediately after).  Losing Marqise Lee (last year's top WR) for the year hurt too, because they did next to nothing to bolster an already underwhelming WR corps...and then lost the top guy to injury and others aren't good enough to step up.  This offense was going in the toilet even with Bridgewater at the helm, because they just didn't plan well enough for things to not go as unreasonably smoothly as last year.  Maybe Teddy fetches them a few extra wins...but this wasn't a playoff team this year, and ultimately...that'd probably have just moved them even further off a shot at Hebert (or whoever the object of their desire may be).  I don't think that excuses them going into the season with no realistic "backup plan" for Bortles sucking massively...but i also don't think it would've accomplished a lot either way.

Really just depends on if the defense shows up, or if they've quit on the season as it looked on Thursday vs the Titans.  When they look inspired and go hard, this defense is still capable of almost singlehandedly holding them in a lot of games vs a lot of teams.  But if they've lost that brief spark of hope from a QB change in watching an offense that continues to be utterly worthless...we are also capable of losing out the entire rest of the season.  The offense certainly isn't going to keep us in anything if the defense stops caring.

It's the titans man. Three of the last four games vs them we have been dominated. 

Archived