What’s the biggest difference between this year and last years Jaguars?

patriotsheatyan

Mostly Bortles. He was much more of an efficient manager last year, and he took a step back. Fournette hasn’t been healthy, which doesn’t help.

I don’t think the coaching in Jacksonville is particularly great either, but that’s not really a difference from last season.

Coaching, Strength of schedule, injuries(Fournette, Norwell, Robinson etc.), loss of players over the offseason, Bortles regressed so hard, expectations on a young team to do well usually doesn't end well, teams had a year of tape on the jaguars so they figured them out pretty easily.

The offense pretty much just nosedived, plus Marrone was never really going to continue to have success given his track record but that's more on the GM for rolling with Bortles for this year than Marrone but oh well.

Either way the Jaguars learned a valuable lesson, don't give extensions to QB with consistency issues and go into the season with your entire offense being built around one concept only for that to fall apart once they get injured.

1.  Schedule got a lot harder.

2.  Their trenches sucked this year.  Norwell/Robinson were huge blows.  And they also missed their C for at least a game or 2 IIRC.  On D, their inability to stop the run came up again, Dareus helped plug that hole last year, but it resurfaced big time this year (partly because that O kept putting them out on the field.

3.  Blake freaking Bortles.  How the GM didn't think to get even just a serviceable backup to challenge in case Bad Bortles showed up is beyond belief.

4.  Partly related to #4 - but OC Greg Olsen's incredibly conservative game-calling cost them games.   PIT in particular.   Not just run on 1st/2nd down...but predictable runs, too.    Cost them in the AFCG, and cost them this season.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

1.  Schedule got a lot harder.

2.  Their trenches sucked this year.  Norwell/Robinson were huge blows.  And they also missed their C for at least a game or 2 IIRC.  On D, their inability to stop the run came up again, Dareus helped plug that hole last year, but it resurfaced big time this year (partly because that O kept putting them out on the field.

3.  Blake freaking Bortles.  How the GM didn't think to get even just a serviceable backup to challenge in case Bad Bortles showed up is beyond belief.

4.  Partly related to #4 - but OC Greg Olsen's incredibly conservative game-calling cost them games.   PIT in particular.   Not just run on 1st/2nd down...but predictable runs, too.    Cost them in the AFCG, and cost them this season.

Greg Olsen hasn't been the Jaguars OC since 2016 when he was fired because Bradley needed a scapegoat, dude's been the QB coach for the Rams (in 2017, and OC for the raiders in 2018) Dude is an underrated coach tbh. 

Nathaniel Hackett has been the OC the past 2 seasons, but I agree with the rest of this.

45 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not having a backup for Bortles sucking was one of the dumbest decisions ever made. You could of drafted a QB in the 3rd Round such as Mason Rudolph, you could of signed Teddy Bridgewater, just such a utter fail. 

Utterly baffling that Jacksonville didn't make a bigger play for Bridgewater.

6 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Greg Olsen hasn't been the Jaguars OC since 2016 when he was fired because Bradley needed a scapegoat, dude's been the QB coach for the Rams (in 2017, and OC for the raiders in 2018) Dude is an underrated coach tbh. 

Nathaniel Hackett has been the OC the past 2 seasons, but I agree with the rest of this.

Oops Olsen on my mind with the TE injury but yeah Hackett was the OC I was thinking of.  My bad lol 

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

They were extremely healthy and vastly overachieved last year. 

This, right here. Now, they have a few injuries and a few of their opponents are healthy - and their true colors show.

There is also a major lack of leadership in that locker room; As soon as adversity popped up, that team turned on itself and couldn't rally back.

Archived